Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Willys M38 Jeep

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by John Zeigler, Mar 4, 2014.

1. John Zeigler

John Zeigler

Hi All, This is my first ever post on a Forum!

I call myself Cowboy, Carpenter, Roughneck, and after my wife of 23 years moved away I finally got a HARLEY Road King, my pride and Joy, so I add, Biker, to the list

I came here looking for Dirty Knuckles so I could try to get his 1951 Go Devil 134ci Jeep engine

I just bought the jeep to go with it, but need a complete engine with clutch and bell housing It will be the perfect little ranch vehicle out on the Yampa River in NW Colorado. Got lots of fence to keep up and upgrade to hold Buffalo, and Elk to hunt in the fall

We have horses too, but the cowboy in me did best when I was 25, not 62 (the same vintage as the M38 I just bought) Now Im happy with a trail bike (250cc) or better this Jeep that I'm so anxious to restore

The Jeep needs an Engine, my preference is origional, but am open to possible options. A twin cam vTwin Harley puts out the same HP as the Go Devil. Could that be made to work? How about a Model A Ford 4cyl? How about a 1995 Jeep 4cyl?

Don't need to go fast or even to town, Just want a handy little 4wd Jeep instead of a quad, on the ranch

Sorry about being so long here, I'll try to learn

2. allwilly

allwilly

Look into pinto 2.3l....very cheap n plentiful...double the hp and rpm...just a cheap adapter plate n some mounts...they fit like stock

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Welcome from Virginia.

4. edeee2

edeee2
    from sw ohio

Consider a v6 buick. Plenty of bolt in, on adapters to install. Might also consider a gm 4 speed, (car not trk) to go along with it. Adapters avail for jeep transfer case to 4 speed.

Get a "hemmings motor news" book at book store. Should find motors. Contact a jeep club, or 4wd club. Little jeep 4 bangers are plentiful. Me, I vote for the 4.

5. ibarodder

ibarodder

I put a 350 chevy in my CJ-5 with a adapter from advance adapters. It worked out but if I was to do it over I would just use a automatic trans too. The T-90 transmission was the weak link. A th350 and transfercase from a 4X4 chevy truck would have beeen a better setup.