Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dad's old/my new '28 Dodge!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac the Yankee, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Dad bought this '28 Victory Six Deluxe Coupe' back in '63, had the exterior restoration done about 12 years ago, then work stopped.

Fast forward to 2013- I've been helping my folks with their mortgage payments, and the Dodge has come under my care.

Stevie G, our buddy John, and I made a fast run up to Philly a few weeks ago (sorry for not visiting, Herb!!!), and brought the Dodge back down.

I'm in the process of redistributing the piles in the shop (should be picking up some pallet racking tomorrow), so please excuse the mess, but here are a few pics. After sitting for a dozen years, the brakes are sticking, the fuel system is completely gummed up, and the oil is probably acidic, so there is some work ahead to get it back on the road, but it will happen... just not as fast as I (or noboD) hoped :D!

The pictures really don't do it justice- the color combination is really striking. Will take better pics the next time it's rolled out:

Attached Files:

2. Whats the plan? HRP

3. studeynut

studeynut

Beautiful car!

4. jimbanner

jimbanner

5. Thanks guys- I've always loved this car and am really glad to keep it in the family!

Danny,

This one will stay original and get used for family fun/parades/weddings/etc.

At the moment, I need to rebuild the Carter BB1 and the vacuum tank, blow the varnish out of the fuel lines... then keep it running smooth while I get the interior done (no idea when that'll happen).

6. F&J

F&J

Is that the body style that looks like a shortened 2dr sedan, that stops halfway through the rear fender?

If so, i saw one on aaca classifieds a few years ago in norcal...unrestored sitting outside for decades but still looked very good, and had the same wires...which I thought were rare

7. Yup, and the "Deluxe Coupe" has the package tray behind the driver's seat :D

Dad specifically got it because it had the wire wheels. This is an early '28, so it has the long hood/short cowl. The cowl lights are fairly rare as well, but they were an addition during restoration (Dad searched for a good pair at Hershey for YEARS).

The original color was green, but after a good bit of research, we found that Dodge offered cars "in the white" (primer). Dad chose the combination you see- deep red for the fenders and top, brighter red for the center section, and vermilion for the pinstriping.

That Victory on the AACA forum was also on Ebay for a good while. Would love to someday find a 5 window coupe (roadsters and tourings are like hens teeth) to put next to it.

8. Dyce

Dyce

Nobody here (I hope) would slam you into the ground if you dropped a hemi in it!! :) My Dad died 18 years ago and I have the last car he built. I have made improvments I know he complained about. I am lucky he built the car close to what I would have done. It's a 40 Chevy 2dr sedan with a subframe. The paint and interior is stock. I added electric wipers, nicer fenders, chassis enginering rear springs to drop the rear. The heads he had on the 350 didn't have hard seats and the exhaust seats went away... I put a nice set of angle milled (68cc)casting heads, ported with 2.02-1.6 valves and 1.6 rockers.

You need to remember It's your car. You need to enjoy it too. Maybe you have hotrods and would like a stocker. I can see that....

9. Dyce,

I'll be starting work on my '56 Chevy stepside/future daily-driver that will get the hot rod treatment :D!

This one is going to stay stock- it's a fairly rare car with some really great features straight from the factory (domes machine-matched in the head, hydraulic brakes, all-steel Budd body, unit-body design, etc), and it's a car that meant a lot to my dad, so I want to honor that.

10. best2923

best2923
    from north Id

keep it in the family

11. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

That color combination looks pretty cool.

12. Great looking car,keeping it the way your dad wanted it is cool.

Just drive it as much as possible. HRP

13. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice . It is beautiful .

14. Dyce

Dyce

Good call!!

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dig that paint layout!!! Wow... get it outta the garage and show us more pics!!

16. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I like it. And good for you helping your parents. To many people are to quick to forget how damn much money and effort parents put into raising kids, good to give back when needed.

17. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

I've always liked the style fenders and hood on those. It looks great!

18. Choff

Choff

Good looking color on the Dodge, Keep it in the family!!!
    Choff

19. noboD

noboD

It SHOULD be running by now!!

20. Dragracer65

Dragracer65
    from Moore, Ok

21. Thanks for the compliments, guys! I will get the car out in the sun as soon as I can... it doesn't have the roof insert yet, and it's never been waxed, so I need to give it a good gentle wash and wax. Problem is, we've had nothing but rain since I got the car down here!

Doug,

The entire fuel system is gunked up with varnish, so the carb and vacuum tank will need to be rebuilt, the lines blown clean and the tank as well. The front brakes are sticking as well, so the wheels will have to come off...

On a happier note, I picked up some pallet rack today, so the garage will get organized pretty quickly and give me the room I need to get the work on the Dodge done.

The work WILL get done and this car WILL be driven- I just want to make sure that I have the space and time to do it right and get it done, so that it doesn't turn into another unfinished project.

Oh, and on a completely OT note, I just got offered the band director position at the middle school my kids will be going through! Can't tell you how excited I am to be back in instrumental music and be teaching in the same county as my children (we've had three different spring breaks for the last 3 years) :D!!!

22. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I like this plan for such a rare MoPar Awesome car, Keep it in the family and keep the Memories alive.

23. noboD

noboD

Good deal Mac. Try some Sea Foam, it doesn't like varnish. Maybe set up a return line/hose to the tank and just keep circulateing? Then dump it out and go with new gas. Just don't do what castirondude did or I'm coming to Georgia to kick some butt!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  24. No sir :D!

Will try the sea foam- may search for/start a thread on cleaning a tank without removing it.

Doug, I know that the BB-1 is the right carb for the car, but is there another that might make it a better driver (would obviously tuck the BB-1 away for safe keeping)?

25. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great looking car!

26. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

Any updates? My Dad's 31 Hupmobile had about the same paint scheme while I was growing up. Good looking car.

27. Thanks Tantank!

Nothing good- still need to blow out the fuel lines, dump the tank, and rebuild the carb.

On top of that, it seems that the interior shop doesn't have the parts anymore (driver's seat, rear seat, package tray, door/side/kick panels, or the floor mat). It's a long, ugly story with no good ending, but all were original to the car, and unique to Victory Six...

Will start hunting soon, and if anyone knows of any extras laying out there, I sure could use them!

28. yup, I have friends/contacts in AACA and DB Club, but right now, nothing is out there.

29. henry roberts

henry roberts
    from australia

victory 6's are beautiful, but that paint scheme on that body style takes it a step further. I can't imagine how you must be feeling about the seats, hopefully some will turn up soon.

surely your dad wouldn't mind too much if it got two or three side or down drafts while you were "rebuilding the original carb" maybe a chromed header under the bonnet and some lowering blocks/reworked springs, just for the time being.
    after all it already has a paint scheme done to "the owners specs" maybe he might have added a little more go at the same time???