Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Caddy powered improved A tudor project....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Morgan91, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Hi all, jumping the gun a little bit here but im in the planning process of my next build and I thought a build thread would be the best place to get some advice about a few things...

I bought a 30-31 tudor body of my buddy bob and its still in America (I live in australia) but i am coming to the round up this year and while im in the states im go go Wisconsin to package up the body along with hopefully parts from the swap meets over there to ship it alll back home.

Plan for the car is a highboy on a 32 chassis, 1957 365 caddy engine, munsie 4 speed and im still unsure of what rear end im going to use at this stage. The body will be chopped. 32 grill and 40 ford 16" wheels. Over all it will.be a pretty simple car so im only giving my self a year from the date I get the body to australia to get the car to a running driving state (not including paint and interior)

I will post some pictures of the body and engine once I get to a computer later on tonight....

Couple things I need advice with, I plan on using a stock non dropped axle but putting in an A front cross member or a flat front cross member has anyone hints or tips or anything i should look out for about putting a flat or A model front cross member in a 32 frame and if I use an a cross member is that enough to bring the frame in to match the a model body or will I have to pinch the rails aswell? And has anyone got any information or pictures about the rear cross member and rear of a 32 chassis under an A tudor?

Iv built a few cars but this is going to be my first proper hotrod and im really exited about it Im just unsure of exactly where to start....

2. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

just some pics of the body and the 57 caddy 365..

ALSO IM LOOKING FOR A 4X2 INTAKE FOR THE CADDY MOTOR IF ANYONE HAS ONE THEY WOULD PART WITH PLEASE PM ME...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks
    Morgan.

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

You can't go wrong with the Caddy motor. Intakes come up here and on that site that starts with an E. Good luck with the project!

4. TERPU

TERPU

Caddy motors rule! Look for a 2x4 and 2 WCFB's. You'll be happy.

All the best,

Tim

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

youd be better off with the 49-54 caddy 331 and an olds bellhousing. but maybe a new company makes adapters for those later engines?

that is also a valley type intake you could buy a finned valley cover and weld up a 4x2 intake really easy and pop 4 97s or 94s on top.

6. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks guys, been keeping an eye out for an intake... iv found a place that makes adapters for these later engines as well...

7. Southfork

Southfork

Pinching the 32 frame up front is not necessary, but many guys do it because they think it looks better. The Tudor body subrails will have to be relieved to clear the stock 32 frame rails where they kick up, and probably the lower cowl of the Tudor will need to be shaved a little on the bottom. There are several threads on the HAMB that illustrate how builders have modified there Model A bodies to better fit 32 rails.

8. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

thanks buddy, il keep on reading!

9. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

10. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Man your gonna learn everything you need to know on this trip... I predict a channeled caddy powered sedan after you ride around in live wire.. Just sayin..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

plenty of adapters for the 365. i've been running one for years and have antother for my truck

12. mad-cad

mad-cad

Subscribed!
    Hurry up and get building ,tudor sedans are cool!

13. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Haha we will see PP! Im so keen to come hang with you guys!

14. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Awesome! Are using the wilcap adapter?

15. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

A model A cross member will not create a pinch anywhere.They are the same width as the orig 32 ford cross member.It will drop the front end a small amount(about 1/2 inch) which may not be enough to make you happy if you are running an undropped axle.Reversed eyes on the spring give you about another inch.Run about 4 leaves on the spring.Still,if you want any rake you will need a dropped axle unless you are mounting the front end ahead of the cross member,suicide style.If you use a model A cross member try to use a late one that has the step in both sides.This allowed the radiated and shell to sit low enough so it doesn't,t look like it's running uphill from the cowl.If you are planning on buying one of the aftermarket radiaters get the one that is an inch lower,then you can adjust it so it looks right and there is no need to use the stepped cross member.hope this helps,bob

16. The PCV valve in your rocker cover is interesting,Never seen one like that before.
    Does it still run the draft tube?
    Cool start to your project!

17. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks buddy! This is the kind of information im chasing!

18. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Im actually unsure.... im yet to see the engine in person.

19. fatkoop

fatkoop

Built a '29 A Tudor w/ a 365 Caddy in 1967. You will love that motor! Plenty of torque, will run forever, and bullet-proof. I ran mine with the stock Jetaway trans and even though I would have liked a 4-speed better, it still would run with the big boys. Mine was chopped 4 in., Dago axle, full fenders. Wish I still had it. Sold it in 1973 for $650, and thought I did well.

20. awesome! have you got any pictures of that?

21. mechanic58

mechanic58

Sounds like a neat project - I was diggin the pics from down under, especially the car trailer. I always wondered about Aussie car trailers - I mean I know you guys drive on the wrong side of the road n all, so I always wondered if Aussie car trailers had their tongues on the wrong end too. Neat!

22. TheKeystoneKid

TheKeystoneKid
    from Allentown

Love a caddy mill. I have one in my roadster

23. fatkoop

fatkoop

I do, hanging on my shop wall. Too bad I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post them. Maybe I'll ask some buddies to help me learn to post pics.

24. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Looks like you have a good start! I read your post and thought I would show you a picture of my Caddy powered highboy 28 Tudor. Mine is a 331 with Hydramatic. Good luck with your build!
    [​IMG]

25. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

That's awesome dude! Thanks for posting

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Harper De Ville

Harper De Ville
    from Hellbourne

rad, nothing like a caddy tude

27. bfinch56

bfinch56

if you want an adapter that looks the part and allows you to run the stock starter. Search for a fella they call "Squeak" He sells the only cast aluminum adapter bellhousing to go from cad 365/390 to gm 4spd. I'll tell you from experience, its a bitchin' piece. He only mad i think 10 or 12, don't know if he's making more. He's a hell of a nice guy. I'll look for pics for ya.

I've got a '29 tudor with cad 365 in the slooooooow works.

28. bfinch56

bfinch56

[​IMG]

stole this from "M.Edell" member on here. Hope it doesn't bug him.

29. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

oh man that bell housing is awesome!
    sorry I haven't had decent internet in a while so I haven't been on here much, the tudor body and engine are STILL in transit... hopefully il have them in the next 5-6 weeks or so... thanks fo all the information guys!

30. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Oh does anyone know what the difference between coupe/roadster/tudor fenders is on 30-31s? iv bene told som eare different but how different are they? like is it pretty straight forward to mod coupe fenders to suit sedans?