Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's it like in the back of phaeton/tourer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willo_96, Feb 19, 2014.

1. willo_96

willo_96

What's it like sitting in the back of a tourer hotrod on a trip, how bad/good is the wind? Does a roof help much? What else can be done to make it nicer for back seat passengers? I haven't even finished the frame yet but have been wondering this for a while now.

2. At highway speed...BAD. Think motorcycle. I had a '74 Scout that I took the top off the day I got it and re-installed it years later the day I sold it. The kids didn't mind it too much under 60mph...until it rained! They screamed and cried like little girls(oh wait, they were!) said the raindrops felt like rocks!

3. 63Compact

63Compact

Dont sit in the middle of the back seat.

4. willo_96

willo_96

Hmm, that's pretty much how I imagined it would be.

5. willo_96

willo_96

Why not the middle back seat?

6. 63Compact

63Compact

You get blasted from the front back and sides, its like a 4 way wind tunnel.

7. If yer the driver, who cares?

8. willo_96

willo_96

How bad with a roof

9. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

much better with the top up,leave the top up on the highway,put it down in the city or when you are cruising

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing I remember from riding around in Shawrys T was the irrational feeling like I was going to fall out. I was kinda young then though, but the wind is certainly bad even if you have side curtains its still windy and noisy.

Doc.

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That was the problem that led to the "Scaphandrier" ("diver") body style, which enjoyed some popularity in France in the '20s. It was an elaboration of the dual-cowled phaeton, with a folding top over the rear seat only. Here is a late example by Kellner on a 1929 Duesenberg:
    [​IMG]

Renault:
    [​IMG]

Hispano-Suiza:
    [​IMG]

A much rarer variant with a fixed roof over the rear seats was called a Cab Skiff. Here's an experiment of mine on that idea:
    [​IMG]

12. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Riding in the back seat of a phaeton, whether the top is up or down, is the pits. even kids will refuse to ride back there at any speeds over 20 MPH! I would not wish this experience on my worst enemy, Come to think of it, yes I would!!!

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

pretty much the same in all topless cars, not good...

14. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wing windows help tremendously. If you fabricate wing windows AND side quarter windows, you won't even use any on the doors. We used this setup for MANY miles when we were young and dumb.

Attached Files:

15. I can tell you first hand that a 1929 Dodge phaeton is windy on the freeway, but was a BLAST to ride in. Just take a jacket. This was in San Diego in my buddy's car and that's my Mom in the front seat.....she's smiling.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

I keep safety glasses in the car for the backseat drivers in my 23 Dodge. I can see small grimaces on the faces in my mirror that change with the speed. I lowered the back seat down which helps some. 55 -60 is about right for speed. If we are in a hurry 75 and bundle up in a blanket. My wife likes to go topless always. Well... she likes the car to be topless.

17. Fogger

Fogger

As stated above wind wings and quarter side curtains help but with the rear window zipped out the exhaust will kill you.

18. willo_96

willo_96

That pretty much the same body I have, but mine is a 29 Chrysler, same grille. I'm thinking if you can keep the back seats low, wind wings on the front, it might be alright.

19. Geeze after reading all these posts I would think no one would ever want a phaeton. So is riding in one of these more windy than a 40s 50s or 60s convertible sedans? Ive always loved convertibles and I rode bikes for many many years and never gave a thought to the wind.

20. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

my 33 is not uncomfortable with top down at speed , might be all about the sedan doors and top bows ?

Attached Files:

21. Fogger

Fogger

Dave Mc, Would your car be considered a "C" 400, beautiful and very unusual Hot Rod. Great concept and perfect execution!

22. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

yes, I think so except mine is a Four Door Vicky , Fords C400 was a Tudor Round Back , maybe a C404 ? Thank you

23. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Years ago when My kids were young I built a 33 Ford Phaeton so that they could go on runs with the wife and I, man was I wrong they hated that back seat, my daughter would put a scarf around her head to cover her mouth and nose she said that the wind took her breath if she didn't, the wind beat them up so bad that two years after being done it was sold................

24. metal man

metal man

These responses are about what I expected. I've been wondering the same, since I'm doing the final assembly of my '29 phaeton now. The wife and I are going to drive it to the L.A.R.S. in June, and I sure hope I can find an empty seat in another car in our caravan for my son. If not, he'll be able to tell you in great detail what it's like to ride 5,000 miles in the back seat of a phaeton:eek:

25. willo_96

willo_96

Do you have a roof on your 29?

26. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wow I didn't think i would hear so many negative responses. I don't think it's much worse then a roadster with a short windshield or a duvall . Yea you get beat up by the wind but any older open car truck jeep with a flat windshield is going to toss your hair and cheeks around but hey its a open car !

27. Tank

Tank

I have a '31 phaeton. With the top down at speed in my opinion is better then the top up in the back seat. With the top up theres nowhere for the wind to go so it just whips around back there... But youre in a phaeton so its all good!

28. [​IMG]

Wow! Yeah the negative comments are brutal. My kids love open cars, raised in them and enjoy them year round. They always have their friends come along for rides and never has there been a complaint.
    I told them I was going to build side curtains and put a rear heater in it as well as a front heater and they thought I was nuts!
    Here we are cruising threw the mountains on our way to the Okanagen in mid May, miles of smiles!

-Shiny

29. metal man

metal man

Yes I do. The original folding top,with a slight height adjustment of course:cool:

I do have wind wings on the windshield posts. I'm told they help a lot,but I haven't driven the car yet, so I don't really know.

The top has a zip out rear window, but no side curtains.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014