Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Bel Air Post car - in progress.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big_dan, Jan 30, 2014.

1. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Still plugging along. Was lucky enough to find some parts local - at a fair price -that really helped out; including a nice set of fenders. Of course, I had to mock one up to keep myself motivated . . .

Dan

Attached Files:

2. Paul Y

Paul Y

Nice work. Subscribed

P.

3. Dan i hear you about the snow here in east T.N. We got about 7 inches here in Sevierville.I was working on the 56 buick wagon out side but had to back her back in to the shop.Hoping this weekend warms up. GOOD JOB ON YOUR 57.Bruce.

4. flamecrazy

flamecrazy

Nice work... Thats funny you have a 57 and a falcon next to each other. I have a 57 two door hard top next to my wives 64 falcon hard top sprint v8 stick too.... Looks about the same and need to redo them too Thats cool

Keep up the good work

5. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Thanks for the comments all - Sometimes I catch a little hell about my refusal to stick to Ford - Chevy - or whatever, but as long as they're classic USA MADE I love them all. Currently daily driver is a 53 Chevy pickup, the 351C 65 Falcon is in progress alongside this 57, and a 64 Comet is waiting in the shadows . . . . :D:D:D

Regardless, I've got one piece left to patch (rear edge of the trunk floor) that's keeping me from landing the chassis but only had a few hours this morning so started a few repairs needed on the trunk skin. No where near finished on the trunk but at least I can work it when I only have a few hours here and there.

Dan

Attached Files:

6. looking good .... another one being saved =)

7. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Believe me I'm trying my best to save it! I'll be able to rest easy again though ONLY after the chassis and pan are back in place. Took a few vacation days next week so we'll see how far I get.

Dan

8. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Another short stint in the garage but a little more progress. Thought about making my own skin and wrapping the edge, but instead sanded it down and I'll tack around the edge leaving the original skin on the inside intact. We'll see how it turns out, but so far so good.

Dan

Attached Files:

9. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Finished with the right side repair; on to the left. Hope to make SERIOUS progress this week, so wish me luck.

Dan

Attached Files:

10. pinupwithgun

pinupwithgun

How are you smoothing out the welds and controlling the heat while doing it? Looks good!

Sent from my XT1080 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

I proceed vvvveeeeerrrryyyy slow. :D In all seriousness, I tack about 3' apart and make sure I have the contour I want. If not, I grind off the excess tack and hammer/dolly to the right contour and keep moving along slowly. And - to be perfectly honest - as long as the panel is a little low - just not too high - I'm happy. It'll always need a quick swipe of filler over the weld anyway. Just try to stay as close as I can.

Dan

12. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Continuing along. Finished trunk skin patch, now just a little hammer work left on the trunk lid. Started the trunk floor patch - lots of fun there. Should - if all goes well - be rolling the chassis back under in the next week or so. Wish me luck.

Dan

Attached Files:

13. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Cool! It's coming along pretty good. HRD

14. mechanic58

mechanic58

I always wanted to be the guy that could take a car that was rusted as bad as this one was and fix it like you are - I just couldn't ever get motivated to do it. I think its due mostly to the fact that I enjoy the hunt more than I enjoy the fix... In other words, it always seems like I don't have any trouble finding rusty cars - it's the rust-free finds that are so elusive...and so much more rewarding. lol

15. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Thanks for the support. As far as rusty cars go, though, this one wasn't horrible - it mainly just needed floor pans. I just decided to go all the way and replace everything that was even the tiniest bit questionable. . . . But we're almost finished now. And besides, you know what they get for a SOLID 2 door Bel Air?! Have to make my own!:D

Dan

16. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Got the rear trunk patch in. Shot some weld-thru primer and then lapped the joint - I know some would disagree but I feel that in the trunk area it will give a little more strength. Then a quick blast of my favorite rusty brown Rustoleum and on to the next portion.

Plans right now are to build a new arm for the cherry picker to reach inside the car and pick it up while rolling the chassis back under. Just an idea right now but it should work . . . . We'll start that tomorrow.

Dan

Attached Files:

17. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Nice werk there Dan.

18. mechanic58

mechanic58

I know, right? lol

I'm in Texas though, so I'm spoiled as far as rust-free junk goes. Having grown up in the mid-Ohio valley and then spending some years on the Carolina Coast, I know plenty about rusted out junk. I've had my fill of it. Anymore I won't hardly even get interested in something that just has simple floor pan rust.

19. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

I now what you mean for sure. But - rust repair has helped me "improve" :D my metal working skill by necessity, which isn't a bad thing, I guess. I don't really know what I would do if I found a solid car! Except my 53 3100 is solid, so I guess that's something. Some cars, though, seem to be rusted out if you can find one. I've been after a guy down the street from my house for years trying to get a rusty 65 Comet hardtop off of him - but no luck yet. At least it keeps me busy. :D

Dan

20. frazzledsmythy

frazzledsmythy

Keep up the good work! I'm rounding the last corner on my 210 Delray. Tore it all apart 3 years ago to fix the sins of my youth! If only I knew then what I know now! At least the second time around it'll be done right! Power on!

21. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Well, they say necessity is the mother of invention, or so I've heard.

So, I needed a better way to suspend the body to slip the frame back under. Plan is to fab up a new "lift tube" for my cherry picker to lift the rear from inside, but still needed a way to lift the front. Decided to use the firewall as a lifting point, so whipped up some plates and lifting eyes from the local hardware store. Sooooo - off to my buddy at the steel yard to pick up a little steel fro a gantry. I don't need anything tall, just enough to lift the car. Plus - I needed to be able to get the gantry through the garage door too, so I was a little limited on the height, but still have plenty of room, as I can still pick the car up another 18" if I wanted. I'll start on the rear "lift tube" later on and hopefully have a car suspended, waiting on the chassis and floor pan to slide under pretty soon.

Critique away, gents. :D

Dan

Attached Files:

22. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Nice work Dan I really like the lift and lift plates. Good progress man your on a mission. Ron

23. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

carpok - I am on a mission - or obsessed:D - with getting this part done! I can't stand so leave a project in an "in-between" state for too long. Thanks for looking.

And - without further ado - drum roll please - My inside-the-trunk-57-chevy-ass-picker-upper. Tried to find the same tube used for the cherry picker originally, but my steel guy laughed when I told him I needed box tube 2" x 2 3/4" OD. So, I used 2" heavy wall (1/4") for the tube, and welded 3/8 spacers to center the 2" in the hoist, as you can see in the pic. The length is the same overall as the original tube in the 1/2 ton position, so should still be good for the same load. Plus, the original was 1/8" wall - so we are exceeding that for sure. Yes, I left the 4 bolts attaching the beam to the car 1/2" loose or so to allow a little movement if needed without twisting the floor any. And I put the nuts up top so I can see if any fell off. . . :eek:

Regardless, a little work on the pan and it's time to roll it under.

Finally.

Dan

Attached Files:

24. ChefMike

ChefMike

this is a cool build ! good luck

25. mechanic58

mechanic58

I take it you just don't have enough friends to help you sit the body back on the frame...lol.

I'm in that club too...which is why I have a 2 post lift in my shop.

26. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

I know what your saying, I've spent the last 16 months on my 55 it's almost done. Been putting test miles on the little 327. Ron

[​IMG]

27. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Looks like we're fighting the same battles. Good luck!

Dan

28. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Spent the morning yesterday getting the pan bolted down with all the body mounts in place, so that's finished and ready to go. A little minor clean up of the pan edges and the body shell and should be good to go. Pulled a tape on my door openings, marked locations of my measurements, then used my "lifting equipment", picked the car up a good foot off of the stands and measured again. Stiff as a board - so now I just have to wait for another few days off of work to roll everything under. Almost there . . .

Dan

29. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Well, the first test fitting is complete. Went well, just have a few minor issues to correct and some holes to drill for spot welds. Had plenty of room with my lifting rig and used my wheel dollies to give me a little more maneuverability while lowering the body and raising the chassis and pan. Should be in permanently here in another few days.

Dan

Attached Files:

30. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

Pan is installed! Note the lack of a lifting "apparatus" - glad to be at this point. Rockers next.

Dan

Attached Files: