Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Ouch, well on the positive side you can still go and help your buddies play. I'm sure they won't mind your input, watch out for the home-made cider though.....Al

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;all the CIDER makers will NOT be there!!! I already paid,may drag an empty trailer up to live in and just hang with the crew!!! There will be three Falcons in the group that could use some crew members!! ROY.

3. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Roy,sorry to hear that. I just picked up my T5 from Liberty yesterday. Adapter and crossmember from NPD last week. Now all I need is warmer weather.......Maybe July/August the way this winter is slamming us!

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;just be sure that crossmember puts you trans up in the tunnel,otherwise you WILL have driveline vibrations!! Been there,Done that,the owner took the car to another shop,they told him the same thing,transmission needs to be up higher in the back.The owner finally had the floor crossmember trimmed out,raised the tailshaft,problem solved!!! ROY.

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Thanx Roy. I will diffiently make note of that.I don't need that problem...Looking forward to having the overdrive for longer trips! What's cool is the new shifter looks like my current stock shifter but with a fake reverse lockout.

6. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Glad your getting closer Myron. I'm guessing you have 2 months to finish, thats if this lets up in next few weeks!.......Al

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Sorry Roy to not being able to make the trek. Lets hope they clear out the mud flowing in front of the house, 'cause we are moving in this upcoming weekend!!!!

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;it supposed to warm up[AGAIN] this week,should be dry for your move!!! ROY

9. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Just received an email from my webpage I started on Facebook, The FX Invasion. Ethan Lisle, who owns that insanely fast and beautiful turbo'd '64 dark gold Comet, will be at the same race!!!!! I have been wanting to see this car, and now get the chance!! I'm gonna take about a thousand pics of his car!!! How cool!!!

10. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Sounds cool Dale.Link us to your pics of it.I would like to see more pics of it too. I came across this great shot by Stuart Mitchell.
    Myron_

[​IMG]

11. ec164

ec164
    from MI

That looks like Jon Websters car from several pages back, or did he sell it? Hopefully there is two of them!......Al

12. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

13. 65COMET

65COMET

SIXGUN;I had not seen that 65 COMET before!!! ROY.

14. loudbang

loudbang

gonzo before it makes for a problem..........

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Older? Isn't that a newer Comet? And I don't think they allowed full lift bodies and tube chassis until around 1967-68?

16. 65COMET

65COMET

That is a 66 or 67 Cyclone,I can't tell from the side!! Good photo but the HAMB police do not like anything that "NEW"!!! ROY.

17. ec164

ec164
    from MI

:) Roy your funny!......Al

18. Roy sorry to hear about your tranny carnage. I was hoping to make Bakersfield but work,work,work. Back to steady days on monday.
    I got heck from the moderators a couple years back and they deleted posts I had made. Funny was they deleted pics of a 64 comet that was running NHRA stock or super stock. No prob it is their sandbox and I like it.
    Roy a tranny question. I might be buying a 351C with a T10. Is there different T10s like the tailshaft difference on toploaders? I'm thinking of putting the T10 in the 65 comet. Will the T10 stand up 350HP and drag strip traction?
    Roger

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;YES,there are different tail housings,one is specific to 64-65 Falcons/Comets,has the shifter up close to the main case,uses a strange set of shift arms! It is fairly strong,was used by ALL the major manufactures [even big blocks]until they started making their own four speeds,AMC used it until they folded!!If you look at a Muncie it is almost an exact copy of a Borg Warner T-10!! I'm using a T-10 in my 65 Wagon behind a built 302,was behind my Sons built 289 Ranchero!!! I personally like the shifter farther back than stock,although the wagon is in the stock location[for now]!!! I ran a T-10 in my 65 Comet as a Stock Eliminator car,only reason I switched was because the pinion broke and stuffed the driveshat through the trans,breaking EVERYTHING!!! ROY.

20. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Hey Roger. Like Roy I used a T10 because it is all I had. I used a different Cleveland and a 9" slick with a 5.43 gear and got into the 11's with a T10. I removed it before I broke the thing as that was pushing the limits. Back then I broke a lot of axles and that probably extended the life of the T10?
    Brian

21. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

I found a 10 page article on Webster's Comet in the Feb 2013 issue of RPM Magazine. You can view it online at www.rpm-mag.com in their "read rpm online" section.....Mike

Attached Files:

22. Brian, The plan would be to put the 351C and T10 in my other project to start. But put the T10 in my comet later. If the price is right I will buy the motor and tranny.
    I think I will start working on the comet tomorrow.(first day off in awhile) Start with the hood scoop and get working on the rest of the jobs. First race is in June for me. Plan on racing 4 or 5 weekends this year. 3 of those weekends they run a complete race each day. So 7 or 8 races sounds like a fun year. No real power upgrade as they run an 1/8 mile with a 8 second class. I run right around 8.2 in full street trim. They talked about changing the ET break to 7.5. I bought new valve springs as the motor would not rpm like the year before and the cam secs call for more pressure than those springs had new. I also do not want the comet to go much fast right now as I'm hoping to get my wife to race the comet.
    I might make changes when I run the 1/4 mile events I'm close to the bump in that class. Need to be a little faster.

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;Thanks for posting the link to the magazine!!! I spent some time reading not only the aricle on Webster's Comet but the issue with the T-Bolt and AWB Dodge!!! It appears Dale "ROCKET MAN" Snoke is invited to appear at Goodwood 2014!!! ROY.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  24. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Mike,as roy said Thanks for the link. I spent some time on the T-bolt issue as well. I like RPM's online format. I wish more zines were set up this way!:D

25. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394550157.424309.jpg racing comets!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Wow- last night was a bit of a bust at Irwindale! I lost - - 10 mph!!! Its funny when you think something that should work better turns out worse! The totally "tricked out for another motor" Holley that we rebuilt,jetted, and prepped was a total dud! I had engine guru Ben Alameda helping me (he is considered one of the best here in SoCal)sort through it all, and after two runs, decided to stop wasting time.I've never seen Ben scratch his head in bewilderment!! Back to the Chinese Leaker Carb!!! I think I may have to send the car over to England with a ratty old borrowed carb!!! But- at least it will pull a 10.80 all day long!!!!

27. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;well that sucks!!! What was the 'new' carb doing[besides not running hard]?Lost 10mph at Irwindale,holy crap!!! ROY.

28. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Running like its incredibly lean..... Put 80's on the primary, with a 4.5 power valve, and 84's on the secondaries. Slowed down even more... I am going to take your 750 with me to England, along with Joels Chinese leaker. If I get a chance, I am going to block off the the power valve, and square jet your old one, see if it gets close to the Chinese one..

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;did it have a vacuum leak? On my 352" SBF I ran 88s square with that 750!!36 degrees total timing too,what is your timing set at? ROY.

30. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Dale; I am no expert on carbs but I have been doing this awhile also. Like Roy said go square on the jetting or close to it. Also go fat and work your way backwards. You don't want to make all out runs lean. Fat will hurt nothing other than trash your plugs. Lean, not so good. i would hate to see your engine hurt.

A really good carb guy once told it does not matter what everyone thinks is right or should be right for jetting a carb. It is what works on your car that matters. Brian