Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 65 66 1965 1966 Ford Mustang Radiator Dimensions (pics and info. NOT A QUESTION)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Beau

Beau

There are a million threads with a million different answers and information on the web. It's certainly not traditional, but it's used by a lot of folks, and the information is hard to find on the web and pics almost never exist out of a car. So, hopefully someone in the future can use this.

I purchased a 1965 1966 replacement radiator for the V8 2bbl/4bbl Ford Mustang engine. Mine was purchased locally for $115. The Autozone Part number is B130, with an alternate part number of Spectra CU130. This model has both outlets on the passenger side of the radiator. It has trans cooler lines, a radiator cap and overflow tube.

Here are two photos of the measurements. We measured 20" in width. This includes the mounting tab location. It was just over 21" on the top side. These measurements are NOT the core size, which is often given and a smaller dimension.

If you have part numbers or info for other Mustang models, please fell free to post.

So,

Autozone- Spectre Brand
    65/66 Mustang
    V8 for 2/4 barrel
    Part #B130 (alt. CU130)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      104.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      96.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      114.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      114.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. Big Ayers

Big Ayers

They fit a model A grill fine . 65 ,66 behind this shell

Attached Files:

3. Beau

Beau

It looks like they fit the 28/29 shell good. In my case, I have a 30/31/32 shell and needed a drop for 4" (2" channel, 2" upsweep). Hopefully I can hide some of the ugly the Mustang radiator provides.

4. Appears to be all brass, which is nice. Does it look pretty well made? How many rows of tubes? 2 or 3? I'm gonna need one about that size soon...

5. Beau

Beau

From the Summit website. $162 from Summit.

Radiator Style: Downflow
    Row Quantity:3
    Radiator Material:Copper/Brass
    Radiator Finish:Black
    Transmission Cooler:Yes
    Inlet Location:Upper passenger side
    Inlet Size:1 1/2 in.
    Outlet Location:Lower passenger side
    Outlet Size:1 3/4 in.
    Core Height (in):16.375 in.
    Core Thickness (in):1.937 in.
    Core Width (in):16.937 in.

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I was just looking into this yesterday myself after reading about a build that used a Jegs radiator in a 28 shell. The Mustang radiator is the only thing I came up with that was even close based on the limited info they provide online. They guy built a pretty comprehensive shroud to hide it and ran an electric fan.

This is GREAT info, particularly for me since the water pump on the Ford 300 in my build is on the passenger side. Thanks for posting this!

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Mustang/Falcon radiators also fit the 23-27 T radiator shells after trimming the mount plates on each side. Same problem as the A though with the bottom lip of the top tank showing and some side stuff showing.

Do keep most any engine of 400 or less CID cool if air flow is addressed.

8. pitman

pitman

X2, cheap. Works best with a shroud. Needs a bit of stamped or expanded steel for the front of most 'A' grills. See avatar.

9. JasonK

JasonK

I bought an aluminum 3 row radiator for my 66 mustang radiator off ebay for 130.00, amazingly... very nice quality.

10. Roupe

Roupe

They fit a '28-'29 "A" shell even better if you run the radiator upside down. You just have to relocate the filler neck to the other tank.

11. Bluedot

Bluedot

When building my A coupe with 28/29 shell, I'd purchased a '66 Mustang radiator for it, but chickened out using it because I had my doubts about it cooling the 455 Olds. Instead, I found that a Champion model made for 26-27 T shells was a great fit for the 28-29 shell. Got it going last Spring, ~1200 miles so far, never been past about 182º. Sold the Mustang radiator to friend running a smaller engine.

12. Beau

Beau

FYI-

The radiator I purchased is not very square. I think I can still make it work, but it's something to look at when you are buying one. Bring a square along.

13. Sorry to "not " post a Q,but- I've ran these before,and have worked out very well to say the least. BUT- I need one with the lower neck on the DRIVERS side.... White Elephant?
    I can convert,but don't wan't the hastle....Any bolt in's with those models?

14. I have a 66 Mustang radiator cooling a flathead in my 28 A. I got a radiator shop to add extra outlets, and it works a treat. Strange thing though, the filler neck and overflow outlet are on the right hand side of the tank, not on the left as in the picture. Maybe there are slightly different models for different applications. It's the same in all other respects.

15. Beau

Beau

Actually, if I choose to run the stock generator on my car, I also need the lower outlet to be moved to the other side. The filler is gonna be a pain in the ass to get to also.

16. Agree.... Last one I used was with an SBC,and life was golden. Worked very well in an "A" shell,but have something that come's out the drivers side for the lower....Hoping to see if Mother Ford mixed it up some,and thru a lower outlet on the drivers side. Sure it can be done,but i'de rather not buy a rad,then have to have it worked.
    Keepin' eye's open for both of us!:)

17. Beau

Beau

I'm pretty sure the V6 has the lower outlet on the left side. I have a 215 Oldsmobile engine so it may work in my case. I didn't think about that.

Spectra part #A1463 for V6 INLINE 6!!!! INLINE 6!!!! COSMOS IS THE RULER

Depth -1.938
    Height- 16.313
    Width- 16.938

1.25" inlet and outlet.

Sprectra part #B130 for V8

Depth -1.938
    Height- 16.313
    Width- 16.938

1.5" Inlet, 1.75" outlet.

The difference between the V8 and V6 is the 1.5" inlet and 1.75" outlet diameter. So the replacements for V8 and V6 are the same in dimension, but differ in outlet location and hose size.

V6-

[​IMG]

V8-

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  18. Quite possible,and if it's the case=great! I have a 354 HEMI with the stock h2o housing and pump. Didn't go with the BBC h2o pump,and exit's on the drivers side. Got me one of the aluminum 32 rads. Still pass side.
    The V-6 sounds like it will work,but is probably a 2 core,and won't (feel) it will work in my app. Decisions......
    Might have to get creative and learn some new plumbing skills....

19. Beau

Beau

From Spectra's website-

Both 3 row.

V8- CU130

V6- CU1463 INLINE 6!!!! INLINE 6!!!! COSMOS IS THE RULER

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  20. Wow!! Learn something everyday!!! I never knew that the Mustang or Falcon came with a V6!!

Gonna have to go out and bend the inline in my Falcon...

And, FWIW, almost all suppliers sell the same radiator, as I found out when mine went. Same radiator from everybody, just different prices. Mine was under $100 at AutoZone, though I did have an IN through the dealership I was working at.

Oh, yeah, mine was for the INLINE (as in Six in a Row can Go!!) six, Not the Ultra super rare Vee-6.

Cosmo

21. Beau

Beau

Cosmo was nice enough to point out my mistake of an INLINE 6 or a V6.

Thanks, and the part numbers I posted were for Autozone, and they are more than $100.

Life is too important to take things seriously, now go bend that engine!

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

So you'll have to use hose bushings on the L6 radiator, that's no problem.