Register now to get rid of these ads!

Johnson Hot Rod Shop Bones

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pewsplace, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I am considering the JHRS front and rear bones for my Deuce chassis and didn't find any discussion in my search. Perhaps they do not meet the standards for this forum but to me, they are very traditionally styled and look right on a traditional car. Has anyone used them and found any difficulties in mounting them? I know they are pricy but considering what original bones cost plus the modifications like 117Harv does, they are in line with the real deals. Just curious what your opinions are and any experience you have had using them. Rod and Custom used them on their Tudor Tales project and found they didn't work on the 33 chassis but worked fine on the rear.Thanks.

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

They sure look sweet to me, if you can afford then why not use them.
    They dont seem to far off what was used in the past by hot rodders improvising parts...

3. Go for it, I like the look of them as well.

4. Personally,I like them and I have seen them on Allans car.

I would use them. HRP

[​IMG]

5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks for all your responses. I think they really look good and are very strong. I look at his car all the time when he is out here and they really do it for me. I know they are not adjustable but the installation instructions in SRM make it clear that you must be right on the money so everything lines up. I am starting from scratch so that shouldn't be a problem. My friend is installing a set on his sedan so I will head over there today and take some photos on the installation.
    Lynn

6. desotot

desotot

Yes , they sure look good.

7. shouldnt be to hard to make the adjustable and alittle face plate would hide any slot. just redesign the image found in the link below to fit the application.

http://www.google.com/patents/US7222728

8. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I don't know ...you can still buy 35-40 bones all day long for 100.00 , weld in bungs and tie rods, brackets are 100.00 ... so thats 200.00 and its old ford stuff .. Caster is about 6-7 degrees when mounted to the bottom of the frame... What modifications need to be done?

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have been looking for 34 bones and the prices I have been quoted are $3-400 and they seem to be firm. I even tried to purchase a set of nice 40 bones at Long Beach and they were asking $250. I prefer the holes with sleeved tubing which I have been quoted $500 for a set for material and labor. I can do all the work myself but age prevents most work these days. If I find a good deal on some originals I would probably buy them. Speedway sells some bones with holes (not sleeved) for $329 and you would need to sleeve them in my mind plus they are only 12 ga. The JHRS bones just seem right to me and can be polished. Thanks for you comments.

10. Alan makes them in at least 4 styles. solid, round holes, rectangle holes, and a cool looking reversed curve style. I was working there when Alan and crew developed them. They are a far superior design than split originals. And yes you need to make sure they are located correctly.
    [​IMG]

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

32-34 bones are prettier but I think the Johnson ones are a little cumbersome looking , more so than the 40 bones they do look neat .. But more of a street roddy type thing

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If it were me, I'd commission 117harv to build me a custom set. His work is artfull badass. I think he graduated Suma Cum Laud from Hotrod Univ with a Phd in badass.

13. CWTC10

CWTC10
    from Arab Al

My buddy is running a set with a aluminum axle on this unit. Too bad you will have to get under it to see them. They are killer pieces as is his steering wheels and shifter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Hmm ..Have you had any of harv's wishbones physically in your hands or is this opinion based on hamb pics?

15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Its based on my experiences dealing with the man.

16. hayu

hayu

Fatman fab builds them also. Solid & drilled an sleaved, heavier gauge than speddys.

17. 117harv

117harv

I am a conservative guy, I do what I do because I enjoy it, and dont seek the limelight. Since my work has been mentioned here, I thought I would post a couple pics of some of my work that went on another HAMBers ride. The front bones were done by me, they were chromed after he recieved them, some may recognize the car.

You can see in my threads I am very picky about my work, I have done work for several members with no complaints.

Attached Files: