Register now to get rid of these ads!

History chevy vin and title 1952 hopefully not an issue?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neverwinter, Mar 3, 2014.

1. neverwinter

neverwinter

hello all,

just picked up a 52 chevy 2 door project with mass title (i am a mass resident). mass is a notoriously tough state to get a title in and this one is a legit tile. here's the challenge: the title reads as a 4 door with a weird vin starting with a T and is only 7 digits long. the car is actually a 2 door lol. there are no tag plates on the a pillar or anything, simply the body id tag.

i can clear up the 2 door thing at the dmv. what i am concerned about is if i ever want to sell the car down the line. it will never be a 50k showcar but i also dont want to mislead anyone. im not sure if the engine in there now is the original so i dont know if the wird number on the title is a match to the engine number (are the 52 engine block numbers long and start with a letter?. i just dont want anyone to go through crazy hassles or feel swindled. would you be comfortable as-is or try to find some way to remediate things?

thanks all.
    - jason

2. txturbo

txturbo

The big question is....does the serial number on the title match the one on the car? Should be on the motor and the frame.

3. Title is for a 4 door and should use the engine number as serial....why do you think that it's a good title for the car you have? It sounds like it was a good title for the 4 door it belonged to. If the engine serial that's in the car now is not the one on the title, I'd say you're up that famous creek without a paddle.

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I would bet money that the VIN on the title will match the engine number. T stands for Tonawanda, where many engines were built.

5. neverwinter

neverwinter

thanks all. just found the serial #? on the pillar. 2kk j 821XX or something like that. but thats not on the title. ill try and find numbers on the engine and see if thats it. if not ill have to reapply fora title thru NH. not a huge deal but still a bit of a pain.

6. johnboy94

johnboy94

Look at the Engine number. From early 30's until 55 (I think) time frame the TITLE STAYED WITH THE ENGINE, find that number on the engine and you are golden. It was the late 60's when the government mandated VIN numbers be put on engines.

My wifes 54 is titled with a 55 engine number that, that engine is in the car. Car's history is fairly well known to us.

If you do not find it at least in Texas you can take car title paperwork to a police station and have it all verified, and they will issue a vin that matches the engine.
    Been there and done that, a serial number on a 52 is not the vin. I agree with bobwop type the VIN on the title into google and I bet you find the motor data...
    Johnboy