Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sandblasting pricing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brandokust, Nov 13, 2005.

1. brandokust

brandokust

I just picked up an A frame that im gonna need to get sandblasted, what can i expect to pay for a decent job? Also, am i gonna need to cover the metal afterward, it's probably going to go right back outside for storage after getting blasted and would a coat of POR-15 be good insurance?

2. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Blasting of a A Frame around here is $80 to $100. Why not wait till your ready to build it till you blast it. If your going to store it till later i would just wait.

3. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Quotes around run about $60 an hr

4. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

Just paid for my first blasting the other day $80 for four "16 Ford wheels.
    No lubrication included. $60/hr would have been great the asshole said it took him 20 minutes.

5. Spook

Spook

Good advice. And yes you will have to paint it immediately. Sandblasting makes steel very susceptible to rusting. I have always heard that it opens up the pores on the metal and it starts rusting inside the pores even though you can not see it. True or not I don't know but in a few days you will be able to see the rust.

6. squirrel

squirrel

if you're gonna go to the trouble/expense to blast off the rust, then why paint it with Paint-Over-Rust paint?

I generally use whatever shoots out of the nozzle of a Gloss Black Krylon rattle can.....not the cheap stuff, I go all out, $2.94 a pop.

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked my '46 Chevy 1/2T frame up from the sand blaster last Friday. Cost $150 and well worth it. My little siphon feed would have taken me hours and made a mess with sand all over the place.

8. squirrel

squirrel

yup, if you don't have a good place to do it, a bigass 2 stage compressor, and a pressure blaster, you're better off paying to have it done.

9. brandon

brandon

another piece of advise.....take the parts to the blaster ...and then get him to price it.......usually better price than just asking over the phone......a lot of guys aren't into specifics.....they just hear frame......which could be as big as a caddy .....and they usually price it as such ......brandon

10. specialk

specialk

POR is only for rusty items. Don't put it on no-rust (sandblasted), it won't stick for shit.

11. 20 minutes for 4 wheels, that's quick, must have a good setup. With my slow-ass compressor and Harbour Freight pressure-feed it takes me that long for one side of one wheel....... Sounds like a fair price.

12. Mark

Mark
    from CT

just dropped off a Hood and 2 rear fenders today for a 56F100. lots of surface rust on the insides , outsides were OK.
    $120 for the hood, $60 each fender. inside and out.

thought the price was kinda high, but the guy has a good reutation, does lots of car sheetmetal.