Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question: What should a $2500 1956 Ford fordor look like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Mar 3, 2014.

1. There's a sign at the entrance to a local neighborhood that broadcasts a 1956 Ford fordor restomod project, running and driving for $2500 OBO.

I have no clue on later Fords, so I don't know what the problem areas are. If there's enough guidance here, I may run and eyeball it this week for a quick flip. If someone is looking for one, I'd be willing to do the legwork!

Any assistance or information would be greatly appreciated!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Squablow

Squablow

With that wording, I'd bet $1 that it's a 4 door body sitting on the running frame of some other car, like a 90's Crown Vic or something, which still runs, but it's a "project" because they're not mated together well (and probably never will be)

If I'm right, run away! If I'm wrong, the weak points on these cars are the inner rockers and the body mounts that connect to them, and the front A-arm crossmember that like to rot out. Also the fact that it's a 4 door and a project. Nice ones can sell for fair money, but 4 doors that need a lot of work are a tough one to make money on.

3. Thanks Squablow! Perfect insight! Every time I think about stopping, I'm in a rush! When I have time, I never seem to think about it!

4. Squablow

Squablow

I'd still check it out. Possible it's a nice original car and a collection of catalog parts that never made it to the car. Clean the car up and sell it stock, then eBay the "restomod" stuff and make a tidy profit. I've seen that before.

The hope is that the guy lost interest in finishing the car BEFORE he destroyed anything.

5. teejay99

teejay99

Speaking as a Ford guy ( and I understand style is in the eye of the beholder ) Ford didn't have a decent looking 50's four door until '57 and even those aren't going for big money . A '56 "project " four door " running and driving " doesn't exactly get the juices flowing . Someone could pour a bunch of time , effort and $$$ to finish the project and maybe sell it for 50 cents on the dollar . JMO

T

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I always remember what my buddy says. It costs just about the same to restore a 4dr as it does to restore a 2dr. but getting your money out of it is not as easy. Depending on the running gear and work already done it may be a reasonable parts car. That is all that a 4dr is to me...a parts car.

7. redhumphries

redhumphries

well we both know someone that has a 4 door that is pretty cool. Its not a ford but you know who it is. The ford had a problem with the front crossmember rusting between the a frames. If that is bad leave it there otherwise ask yourself if you would drive it or not. Don't buy something you don't want to keep for a little bit. Good luck and check you later RED

8. Parts car.:)

Attached Files:

9. Squablow

Squablow

I consider the '56 4 door hardtop as the best looking 4 door Ford ever made. We don't know if the car in question is a sedan or a hardtop, and it still won't bring the money of the equivalent 2 door, but I strongly disagree with the above statement.

Attached Files:

10. belair

belair

It should look smaller and smaller in your rear-view mirror.

11. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Hey man, ive been looking for a 50s four door... Whats she look like?

In my opinion 4 doors can make a great car... If all you wanna do is drive it and enjoy it... Its not a high dollar beautiful rare car that you always gotta drive with your underwear up your butt hoping some idiot is going to hit you without insurance...
    But a 4 door drives just as nice as a 2 door, and its more usable having the back doors...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  12. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Did the car disappear?

13. henry29

henry29

There's one identical to this here in town, absolutely beautiful car. Would love to have one just like it.

[​IMG]

14. Nah, the weather just SUCKS here! Once the weather changes and I finish some pinstriping jobs, I'll get over to scope it out!

BTW....Where are you? Obviously, I'm in Greenville.

No, Greenville, NORTH Carolina! (sorry, I get the SC question ALOT!) :D

15. slowmotion

slowmotion

If it's that local, never hurts to check it out. Doors be damned.

16. I have to agree. I am not much of a four-door fan, but this '56 looks great! There can't be many of these around.

17. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Im in Boone, NC... Up in the mountains. Same town that ASU is in.

Ya man let me know. If its worth half a crap I would be interested.

18. My family is from Ashe Co. Nathan's Creek and Grassy Creek to be exact!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Yep, thats not very far away.

20. holanxiaoq

holanxiaoq
    from new york

I never seem to think about it![​IMG]