Register now to get rid of these ads!

New England Dragway in Epping. Got photos?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it is. Really has been a great car. I probably have put over 10K miles on it since I finished it (so to speak) back in 2009.

Your welcome. I got a few more I have to upload. Not sure if they are from Sanford or not, but I'm sure some of the local HAMBERS will chime in.

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Great thread. Spent a lot of time at New England Dragway during the 70's-80's. Was wondering if anyone remembered the white '59 Vette "Vanilla Gorilla"? If I remember correctly, it was owned by a guy who had a gas station on rt 1A in Hamilton MA.

Also, does anyone remember the wild, chopped and psychedelic painted '55 Chevy ''Tantrum" ? Is it still around?

4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

so how goes the editing? Any previews ready yet?

5. twolane1956

twolane1956
    from Mass.

I drove buy that gas station last week and was wondering what ever happened to the Vette.
    Ray "Fireball" Smith owns or did own the 55, it was for sale. Doesn't have the wild paint job anymore.

6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steve. Is that the chopped 55 that Timmy Carroll had stored downstairs in his barn ?

7. twolane1956

twolane1956
    from Mass.

Baron, I'm not sure. Have to ask Ray next time I see him.

8. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] A couple pages back I posted a yellow Willys that ran out of Speedway Custom & Speed Shop. Here is a Henry J that is from the same shop.

9. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I thought Timmy Carroll owned the Whale, a chopped '55 Ford with a 430 Lincoln?

10. He did before he passed away several years ago.The car originally belonged to his brother John who bought it new in 1955 and chopped it in 56.The car was driven on the street for a number of years before they made a race car out of it.Besides the Hilborn injected Lincoln engine it had a 3/4 to Ford truck rear axle(for the safety hubs and the low gearing).The chrome roll bar was actually made from exhaust tubing that John had welded up and smoothed out to make it look one piece.I used to see it occasionally at the Big Burger Drive-In on the Revere Beach Parkway in the early 1960's.Their garage was a short distance from there.I remember going down there to stripe the T roadster they built that eventually became the "Little Moose" show car.I did it when it was lime gold Metalflake and had no top.Had to be around 1962.

11. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] The White Whale was on display at New England Dragway a few years back. I never got to see it in it's heyday, so this was a real treat for me. I know it was for sale, but don't know if it is still in the area. This would be great to see this car at the Hot Rod Reunion this September.

12. Church Key

Church Key

13. Church Key

Church Key

14. Church Key

Church Key

15. Church Key

Church Key

16. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Aaargh, the whale surfaces! Thanks guys! I agree, would be great to see it at the reunion this year.

17. Seeing that engine shot reminds me of a story.One time Tim and Jimmie Smith were working on the Whale wet-sanding the whole car down getting it ready for John to paint.There was water everywhere around on the floor and Tim and Jim were really working and not paying too much attention to what was going on around them.
    For some reason the Vertex mag was out of the car and John;being the prankster he was took the mag and draped a couple of wires across the wet car and spun the shaft.Both Tim and Jim jumped but didn't figure out what was happening until they caught John in the act.Too funny!

wheeldog57 likes this.
  18. okayjoey

okayjoey

If anybody finds a picture of a 67 mustang fastback that says sponsored by Danvers ford on it I would love to see it. My grandfather raced it their for awhile but can't find any pictures of it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. 1949*john

1949*john

The white whale is at Shaker Valley Auto in Enfield NH , It has been in side so the condition is about the same even the engine with the fuel injection is in it .
    Bob's cell phone is 603-491-0031 tell him john sent you .

cad-lasalle likes this.
  20. Church Key

Church Key

It sounds like he is a friend of yours...Maybe you could ask him to bring it to the New England Hot Rod Reunion @ New England Dragway this September.

21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We may have taken these the same day.

[​IMG]

22. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I heard this 24t ran at this track in the 70's called CRAZY ROD
    I'm looking too possibly purchase it and bring it back too a sixties look.
    Does anybody have any info or pictures of the old dragger

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405085138.498485.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405085150.332189.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405085167.183006.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405085177.801202.jpg

From Austinrod

23. Love this thread. Just FANTASTIC GUYS!!!!

24. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Here's a side shot
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405089844.332642.jpg

From Austinrod

25. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. Motor

Motor

Ray, I wanted to set the record straight on this event and picture. It occurred at the 69 Smokers (Bakersfield East)Meet on Long Island. It was Labor Day weekend .Qualifying was Fri. night, Sat. day/night (ending @ 11PM. We had to go to the further ferry and bribe a ferryguy to even get across. We got to the track at 10:10. No pit space available. We dumped the car in the middle of the pit area. I suited up. We fueled it . I strapped in and we fired it on an old return road. It was overgrown with grass and we were catching it on fire so we had to keep the car moving on warm up and stomp the fire out as we went. We pushed around everyone lined up for FINAL runs. I remember the guy with the headset saying telling the tower we were the Spirit of 76 and they are pre-entered but have not made a run. The next thing I know he's screaming "get out there- lets go". We pushed out and pushed down the track to start. We made the last run of the night at 10:55 and qualified 11th in the biggest 32 car field ever. We were hometown heroes that night. Next day- first round .....not so much. We were running Logghe Bros. I was out on them and the front end still in the air. We had just lengthen the chassis and I really didn't expect that but I was still ahead. Just then the clutch locked up. I tried to back pedal but the throttle locked wide open. I pulled back so hard on the throttle safety that I broke 2 toes. I threw the mag switch and the car came crashing down breaking nearly in two. I ended up about 5 feet from Tommy Ivo who was in position to push down next. I think he was more scared than I was. It wasn't till we went through the injection for the next meet that we found the cause. One of the butterfly screws had come out, the throttle plate cocked and you couldn't close it with a sledgehammer. So as Paul Harvey used to say "now you know the rest of the story" M0T0R

27. gonzo

gonzo

Wow what a story!

loudbang likes this.
  28. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good friend of mine just stopped by the shop with these pictures. Madman Marko's (and Charlie Clark's) Corvette that he had before the wheel standers. ( see the Dirty Old Man Camaro in the second picture ?) The next two are a couple of Dave Ribeiro's early race cars. Small Stuff 57 Chevy and Small Stuff III 55.

Hildonen and Clark Corvette 2.jpg Hildonen and Clark Corvette.jpg Small Stuff.jpg Small Stuff III.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  29. Hey Paul!
    Glad to see you posting on here! I have been off for a few days painting and haven't kept up with the board. Thanks for setting the record straight;guess this old fart is getting senile in his old age lol. Haven't been able to get back east for a few years as neither me or my bride are capable of driving long distances anymore and I can't fly due to some inner ear problems.
    We do hope to get back next year for my high school class reunion(the 55th) and if so hope to stop by the shop and say hello. Lots of good memories;especially Nikki and Kreig riding in back of the Camino.