Register now to get rid of these ads!

1958 Pontiac factory fuel injection????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swiss50chevy, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

2. This is based on the Rochester system Chevy had in 57. The air horn is a bit different than chevy . Mechanical fuel pump driven off the distributor. I would think the injectors and the fuel pump would be the same as chevy. The injector is worth more than what they wand for the car. Take note that air plenum is one piece unlike the chevy counterpart which has a separate Air plenum and a separate manifold. The Pontiac I believe had a valley pan over the lifters and chevy just had the intake manifold covering the lifter valley. I think the Pontiac had a tin cover over the top unlike the Chevy/Corvette JB

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. sdluck

sdluck

I believe it was the same as Chevy early system.

4. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Man, probably be a good investment.

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

There was a 58 Pontiac with factory FI in Fremont, Nebraska. I saw the car but didn't ask any questions---probably in awe.

7. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

Pontiac had it in 57 & 58. From what I recall its similar to but not the same as the Chevy unit. It was offered on just the 57 Bonneville convertibles in 57 but I believe you could theoretically get it on any 58 model......I remember seeing a black 58 Chieftan convert at the Pontiac dealer when I was there with my dad....it had the fuel injection logo on the front fenders.

8. If I was close, I'd be all over it. That's a hell of a money maker there.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Plymouth never made it into production but Pontiac did. looks like the Corvette FI. My uncle, a Pontiac dealer, had one in his 57 Bonneville convertible demonstrator. I lost a bet back then when I was sure that Plymouth offered FI... Experimental only.

Being still in the box I bet it was bought at a flea market to add to the 58. Not too many people remain that know how to restore it.

I'll never forget the black gentleman that wanted to know how much was the 58 Bow-nev-a-lee in the used car lot???

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  10. Wow .. What a deal...I'd think after you sold the FI stuff you'd have basically a free car...
    I don't think there's any info on the data plate/VIN that would denote a FI equipped engine, but I do wonder where the fender "fuel injection" nameplates got to..don't see any holes for them in the pics...

11. WornOutOldMan

WornOutOldMan
    from So Cal

should be on your trailer...

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

and by a strange coincidence, there is one in Fremont California as well... at least it used to get worked on in Fremont at a shop by my house, not sure exactly where they live. fully restored and very nice.

13. khead47

khead47

There was recently a Poncho FI engine on fleabay for $17000! You better jump on that before someone else does!

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That setup has GOT to be worth good money. The Pontiac may not have been the original car to that unit, but I think it still is worth a $3000 gamble. Some Poncho guy is probably scouring the earth for those parts.

Don

15. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

They are rare for sure, but not sure they actually performed as well as the carb versions...i.e. tri-power. I think a lot of them were removed because the dealers really didn't know how to service them back in the day. I think the 58 Chieftan I mentioned in my first reply had been converted to a carb setup.

16. carbking

carbking

Parts to restore the Pontiac FI systems are constructed of both unobtanium and verypricium.

Although it has been a few years, I sold a much nicer '58 unit for a lot less than this one, because restoration costs would have bought a very nice NEW shop truck!

Jon.

17. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Don't have the extra dough, otherwise id consider it.

18. I'd be on my way with cash and a trailer.

Dustin

19. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

So.....
    Is the stuff in the pics in the ad factory 58 Pontiac fuel injection parts?

20. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Better get that car brother. Its worth a lot more than that asking price.

21. davidh73750

davidh73750

35 miles from me I'm calling now

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

No expert but it looks like it. Condition is another matter...JMO

23. davidh73750

davidh73750

Owner believes it was bought new in Cherokee Ok. Was sold in and out of family

24. carbking

carbking

I am NOT an expert on anything FI (don't like it, never will ;) ), but what is there looks more like 57 to me than 58.

Maybe there is a Pontiac FI person here that will know more than I.

I do know that I was asked years ago to do kits for them (about 2/3 of the Chevrolet kit will work, but you still need to do a BUNCH of parts not used on the Chevrolet version). Worked up the cost, and it was just totally ridiculous!

I had a friend 30 or so years ago that bought one new in 1957. After being stranded a couple of times, he kept TWO coaster diaphragms and a drive cable in the glove box.

Jon.

25. ff1930

ff1930
    from lapeer

FWIW
    If your serious at least go look at it.
    Do as much research as you can before you go.
    May be a good buy.
    Dan

26. '58 Pontiac F I
    [​IMG]

27. lawman

lawman

Wow !!! That is a lot to look at !!!! LOL

28. trbomax

trbomax

Somewhere,in all my old srvice books,I have a genuine pontiac service manual for that unit. I remember it had a green cover.

29. noboD

noboD

Maybe 30 years ago I saw a '57 Convertible with FI, white with red trim. The guy had bought it new.

30. jesse1980

jesse1980

It only came on the bonneville.