Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What should I pay for this 1962 Chevy C-10 project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aahowk423, Mar 2, 2014.

1. aahowk423

aahowk423
    from Stow, OH

Hey guys,

So this 1962 Chevy C-10 short bed step side I'm looking at buying will be my first project. I went and saw the truck the other day, and this is what the owner said:

It needs new rocker panels, floor panels, right front passenger fender, bed. The engine runs but needs some work. He is asking 2300. Is that reasonable?

I have a seen the same year, with a much better body, not running engine for 2000 on eBay. This truck is located in Kansas, whereas I am located in Ohio.

Attached Files:

2. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Move right along. Unless you NEED one, there are better deals all the time.
    The General made millions of of those from 61to 66.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Watch out for rust out in the lower door hinge area also.

4. Keep looking,transportation and drive up the initial cost. HRP

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If this is your first project you do not want to overmatch yourself. I don't know your circumstances but unless you are a trained mechanic with a shop full of tools, you would be way better off starting with something better. For the same reason a beginning boxer would be better off fighting Richard Simmons than Mike Tyson.

Look for a car that is in good shape and needs little or nothing. Chevrolet is a good, safe choice for a lot of reasons. Do not get one older than 1955. You will not be able to afford one from 55 56 57 if it is decent so look for one from the sixties or newer.

For pickup trucks the same applies.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

That truck needs too much. I'd pass on it and look for something much better. That truck is a POS. I wouldn't take it if it was free.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

This is why you don't drink the bong water.

8. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

if you're in Ohio why are you looking in Kansas? Your not really going to send someone money for a truck without going and looking at it? Find one local or save up your money and buy one rust free.

9. aahowk423

aahowk423
    from Stow, OH

Sorry for the confusion. The truck that was on eBay that I was using as a price reference is located in Kansas. The truck I want to buy is located 5 miles from my house.

10. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

11. afaulk

afaulk

Based on A LOT of personal experience and having the skills required, pass on this one.

12. henry29

henry29

Without knowing anything about it or you it's hard to say.

What kind of engine work does it need?
    Do you have any experience welding?
    Do you have the time or the money to fix it?

Parts are cheap and easy to find for these trucks, and they are getting very popular.

If runs ok, isn't knocking, and has a good title, then I would probably offer about $1,800 for it.

13. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Waaay overpriced. Being a common truck I would say no more than $1000 for value. Lot of work there.

14. henry29

henry29

A short bed step side is not a real common truck around here, and there's a huge difference between north east Ohio and Tulsa OK.

Most of these trucks just rotted away in the north. Prices are not the same in every part of the country.

15. i agree that it's a little overpriced. i would also try stick to 63 and up. better suspension and way easier to upgrade. that is however just my oppinion.

16. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

There was a similar 63 shortbed down in yuma 3 hours from me it didn't run but a complete project with a title for a whooping 250 bucks posted on Craigslist it was only posted for about 3 days but there out there keep looking.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

The rust would scare me the most, the door pillars look rotted out from the pics that where posted. Fixing the pillars is a royal pain compared to just floors. If you willing to do a lot of metal work on the truck, go for it (after haggling the price down) otherwise I would pass.

18. fsae0607

fsae0607

Agreed. I'd say $1500 is fair.

This truck has torsion bar front suspension, which means parts are rare and the few that are available are expensive. The torsion bar suspension rides real nice, though. If you get this truck one of the first things I'd do is convert to '63-up hubs to get rid of the ball bearings. Ball bearings are $$$! :eek:

The stovebolt wouldn't take too much to get to run good. I think this would be a good project, although if this is your first a '63 - up would be better.

19. finn

finn

Remember, he's in Ohio, which is about 2500 miles from Yuma, one way. When you factor in a weeks worth of driving / lost vacation and 500 gallons of gas round trip, that Yuma truck cost is a $3000 gamble, as he could get there and it may be gone, or a total POS. It's going to need bed wood and all of the rubber disappeared 40 years ago, so it isn't pristeen either

I'd say if he likes the local truck, it is basically sound except for available reproduction parts, go for it. Offer $1200 or ask the seller to factor in the cost of replacement rockers, cab corners, and fenders.

In the Great Lakes , dealing with rust is a rite of passage. (Unfortunately).

If the OP is retired, a road trim may be fun.

20. tommyduncan

tommyduncan

One nice thing about the torsion front end is that you can raise or lower the front end with 1 socket. The rear is a simple coil spring swap and shocks.This has been real handy for me. I can raise it up and put the stock size wheels and tires on it in minutes and have a useful truck again.
    They also make disc brake/drop spindle swaps that use newer style bearings and allow it to go pretty low and back with the torsions.

21. aahowk423

aahowk423
    from Stow, OH

Thank you guys for all of the helpful posts. I ended up buying the truck today for 2200. The owner said that was the lowest that he could go because that was what he had put into it. The title showed that he paid 1800 for the truck. The other 400 probably came from new brakes, new exhaust and several new panels.

He is giving me the new cab corners that he bought, and he already replaced the front driver side, I just need to buy the passenger side front panel.

Maybe i paid too much, maybe it will be a hard project to conquer, but I have a lot of help from people who have already tackled projects like this. I think I might even do a build thread :D . I am really excited for it tho, I have been wanting to do this for a while!

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Your money and now your truck, NOTHING to apologize for or explain.

In my thread on another site I got a lot of flack right at the beginning for what I paid for my project. I didn't mind and I still have no regrets about it. My truck is far from done but it's far from what it looked like (as you'll see) when I bought it. Best of luck and keep on posting. We all want to see your progress.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698

23. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Congrats man. I just finished one of these a few months ago. Very simple trucks to work on, and alot of meat in them.

Plans on your build?

24. finn

finn

Good job. I see alot of these $800 or $1000 dollar valuations on here until that same person goes to sell. Suddenly that $800 project is worth $8000.

Dig in and have fun.

25. slammed

slammed

-D!- Epic. FNG, good luck on your new project.

26. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

By the way... I got a rubber for a Big Back window, and for a front windshield... Shoot me a pm if you want them.
    The front windshield rubber will only fit a stock windshield... And the rear isnt vulcanized and has a seam at the bottom of the window so you can cut for a small window...

27. legion

legion

cool truck, good luck

28. aahowk423

aahowk423
    from Stow, OH

For now, my plans are to simply restore the truck to as close to what she looked like 50 years ago with a few tweaks here and there. I'd like to take the whole thing apart just to see how everything works and learn from it as much as possible!

29. henry29

henry29

Hurry up and post some pics. Don't take it all apart at once, it will be very overwhelming for a first project.
    Break it down into small jobs and do one thing at a time.

30. fsae0607

fsae0607

^^What Henry29 said. Keep focus on keeping it running/driveable for as much as possible. The more you drive it, the more you get attached to your project.

And yeah, pics!!! :D