Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Chevy build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky-13, Sep 11, 2013.

1. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

here is a link to a weld in on that is almost identical to what i made pretty cheap too.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Weld-In-Battery-Box,3455.html

2. jegbflat

jegbflat

Thanks for the battery location tips... in the setup above, could you share wheel and tire sizes? Great stance as others have noted.

Thanks again, Jerry

3. jegbflat

jegbflat

Hi again - I had kept a photo of your cab interior with this note about the seat you used. Returning home today, found my neighbor had put her '94 Mazda mpv rear bench seat out on the road with a "free" sign, haha. Anyway, remembering your post, I checked it out with a tape measure and it seemed a bit wide (48") and only seemed to fold down (backward) but not forward. When I told her what I wanted a seat for, she offered to let me have the middle bench if I'd reinstall the back one for her. It's narrower at about 42", but it does fold both forward and backward. Has head-rests and an armrest on passenger side. Is this pretty close to what you used? If so, I'll have to figure out how to mount it. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Jerry

4. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

well jerry im not sure about the middle row seat but i know my seat just tips forward by a little pull strap on the drivers side. As for the width the 48 did fit but each front corner did touch the door panels before i had the seat reupholstered, so the middle row might be more effective. As for mounting, what i did was steal the front mounts and those are bolted to the floor in the cab with a bunch of supports for strength. As for the back the mounts stock didnt work so what i did was used the stock 4 bolt hole that go up into the seat frame and made little mounts that bolt to the seat then bolt into the floor. by doing this i got the back of the seat lower then the front giving it some bucket, because of the chanel my floor is completely flat with no area for the gas tank below the seat. I like the third row better then the middle because it has no arm rests and the mounts are low profile due to the step in the floor of the mazda.
    As for the tires and wheels the wheels are all 15 inch jimmy 9 from rally america 8 inch in the back and 4 or 5 inch in the front. The overall tire size in the back is 30.5 and 25 in the front. All the tires are all coker bias ply the fronts work great but the back are terrible out of round and hard as a rock. If you want the same style back tires go with towel city or hurst much better overall tires.

5. jegbflat

jegbflat

Thanks a ton for your replies - very much appreciated. I passed on the back seat because of the wide front - but sounds like you made it work until you "reupholstered" which is all I really want to do right now. Also passed because they didn't seem to fold forward, but I didn't see a strap like you mentioned. I'll take another look.

Thanks again,

jerry

6. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

some up to date pictures of the truck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Got my new hood emblem all fitted together. The top is from a 1934 Pontiac and the base I had to use my original one to fit the grill shell next is the rest of the emblems, handles and grill shell to prep for nickel plating

Attached Files:

8. nlualum82

nlualum82
    from Oregon

Great truck!
    Mine is the same model. Bed looks the same except mine is 62.5" long. I would've advised keeping the cowl vent, I like to open the windshield, cowl vent and both windows on hot days and wish I had a roll down back window ala Ford coupe.

9. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Ya I would have liked to keep the went but it was just way to far gone to save.

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that's a bobber truck I can like

11. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Thank you treb11. In all honesty I wasn't shooting for a bobber just built a safe well balanced truck.

12. belair

belair

This one's been in the family since 1954. I broke the key off in the glove box in about 1961.

Attached Files:

charleyw and Roger53 like this.
  13. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

That is awesome. We are the third owners and we got it in the early 80's. Does your glove box have the clock in it?

Roger53 likes this.
  14. belair

belair

No. I bet that was a big option for a truck back in the day. But you can see the hi-tech anti-theft device in the 2nd pic.

15. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Really nice truck I have always like these years all original as well.

16. belair

belair

This one has a dropped axle, v-6, auto, a/c, etc. Might have been a plumber's truck, not sure on that. Used to have two side mounts, my dad has done all the work to the truck over the years, except for upholstery. He bought is as a rough roller in Waco, towed it home with the M/C tied to his foot.

17. Wow, that thing looks great for something that you haven't been able to start since 1961!

belair likes this.
  18. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

the glove box uses one key and the ignition is another I think

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nice build .glad to c the rad up front.can u post a pic of your throttle pedal placement.wheels look great black.chris

20. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Some of my current work on the 36 pre nickel plate with the new stainless insert

Attached Files:

21. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Got everything back from San Joaquin chrome in Lodi they did an amazing job.

Attached Files:

22. Very nice truck sir, I have always like the year, and let me also say nicely done thread.

lucky-13 likes this.
  23. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

24. belair

belair

Congratulations. Hope you're having fun with it.

lucky-13 likes this.
  25. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Thanks. Trying to get everything back together today . Just realized after all the recoating one headlight is slightly closer to the grill then the other so I might have to see if I can find adjustment somewhere.

26. Roger53

Roger53

Hi You've put together one very nice chevy hot rod pickup. Roger

27. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

28. katg67

katg67

Really Nice Job. Have fun with that ride!

29. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

30. BillyBadA$$

BillyBadA$$

lucky-13: I understand you used a 46" front axle w/ 4" drop. What is your rear axle length?
    I was going to assume it is 56" if your front hub to hub length is around 54-1/4".
    I really like the truck and am in process of getting my axles and frame together now.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017