Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the worst thing you ran over with a Hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, Apr 23, 2013.

1. bobadame

bobadame

When I was a young punk, about 17 I ran over a policeman's dog. I came around the corner in my Model A and the dog ran out in front of me. I locked up the brakes but I bounced up over the dog. The kids in the yard saw it happen and they totally freaked out. There was nothing I could do.

2. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

Several assorted pieces of lumber,a couple lawnchairs that fell of an RV that was in front of me..and a 10 wheeler cut me off,forced me out into the median taking down a highway marker

3. GaryC.

GaryC.

While driving through construction, bumper-to-bumper, directly behind and eighteen wheeler, an automobile radiator appears in the road in front of the wife and me. Baaa-boom! My wife asked me "what was that". I told her that was the sound of her and I getting a second chance at life. You see; we weren't in the car, we were on the motorcycle. I still have a hard time believing that we didn't go down directly into the jaws of interstate traffic that was right behind us.

4. dos zetas

dos zetas

I am reminded,

"You get a flat?"
    "Yeah, I ran over a milk bottle".
    "Didn't you see it?"
    "NO, the damn kid had it under his coat"

5. DrJ

DrJ

Brother Dave Gardner at his best.

6. dos zetas

dos zetas

Wow, Brother Dave isn't totally forgotten!

7. a mattress came off truck going the opposite way I ran over my T Truck wound up in the drive shaft.
    it bent the shaft and tore up the hairpins wiring and brake, gas lines
    fortnightly I was close to home.
    some people stopped the truck and called the cops.
    his insurance did not cover it because there was no contact between vehicles.
    and he had no money due to being evicted from rental traylor

8. An armadillo ,in a 31 Vicky in Dallas .

9. Wow,,,crazy stories, and some scarey stories. The roads are a dangerous place. This is a good thread to read before a cruise to remind us.

10. NOPSI

NOPSI

Sorry this happened. I swear, simply backing up is quite the dangerous maneuver. Your story will be in my mind every time I put my car in reverse.

11. ZachB

ZachB

While I have never hit anything personally and I don't know anyone who has in a hotrod I can tell you what the worst thing to hit in a tank is. A family friend was stationed in Germany in the 60s. They love to play chicken and he was driving a tank around and at the time the lights were close together and made them looked like cars at night. This guy pulled into his lane and just started heading at him. He ran over half a VW beetle before that tank was shut down. That's the story I was told and seeing this thread just reminded me of it.

12. Hmmm.....be a toss up between Bambi and Wile E. Coyote. Both in my '72 El Camino SS.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

My olé man ran himself over with his 28 roadster. Hit the key while standing next to the car and it fired... In gear. Ran over his leg then he had to chase it down lol luckily neither he nor car were harmed in the incident

14. The exact thing happened to me.

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

On the way to the Nationals in 78 or 79,.... The car in front of us (a 1938 Ford Tudor Sedan) swerved quickly to avoid something in the road,.... Quick reaction time and a severely chopped top rarely work well in such circumstances,... We ran over a dead Opossum with some N-50-15's on the back of a chopped & channled fender-less Model A coupe..... Apparently the Opossum took immediate flight almost straight up in the air,..

It stalled at the zenith of it's Trajectory & altitude for just the right timing for it's fall back to earth,... Only to be interrupted in it's decent by the lap of the T-Bucket pilot that was traveling behind us in our caravan to the nationals.....

The T-Bucket Pilot however didn't find the same level of humor in this situation as the rest of us did.....

16. I ran over a big ass racoon lying dead in the left lane. Thought I could straddle him...Nope-hit the front crossmember at 70 mph-made a hell of a thud-other than some hair underneath-fortunately ..no damage.

17. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

I ran over a block of fire wood at around 40 mph in my 57 two dr post

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I ran over a skunk once in a wooded area that I thought I could swerve and miss,I don't recommend it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

19. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I was going to work one morning, hung over I think, in my ot truck. It was pitch black and I had this asshole tailgating me with his brights on. It was a small car judging by his lights. We were crossing a narrow bridge over the Missouri river when I spot a dead animal right in the middle of our lane. It was good size but I thought my truck might clear it. I cleared it but asshole didn't even see it he was following me so close. After I cleared it I looked in the mirror and saw a shower of flying fiberglass parts.

20. Mine was a deer on way to a show

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Following a box van on the freeway I wasn't able to see far enough ahead to see the brick that he had plenty of ground clearance to miss . The result was a dented in oil pan , and a tear in one of the header tubes . It could have been much worse , I consider myself lucky . The lesson learned , don't follow high profile vehicles !

23. seatex

seatex

My own harley......................DAMN!

24. luke13

luke13

wasnt in a hotrod but in the shops falcon ute, at sufficiant speed i backed into our vintage 1940s petrol bowser. did a bunch of damage to the tailgate, the bowser was fine though.

25. ralphcramer

ralphcramer

What I didn't run over was a big pile of metal banding, the really heavy 2" wide stuff. I was in the middle of three lanes surrounded by traffic at speed, but there was nobody right beside me so I had someplace to go. I was driving a 36 International panel truck with some ground clearance but not that much!

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

CAN WE GET a "AMEN" FROM THE HAMB BROTHERHOOD !!!!

27. ned5049

ned5049

Clobbered a deer coming back from a show with a 34 chopped fenderless ford p/u. Took out the rad and shell and the rightside headlight.

28. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Coming home late one night from a wedding in my 60 Impala and greased a skunk. Took forever for that smell to leave, got most of the pizza off at the quarter car wash but the rest just took time....way too much time!

29. '48IHC

'48IHC

Had a buddy driving back to town on a usually pretty empty 2 lane road in farm country in a OT ford expedition. Was following an 18 wheeler and couldn't find a place to pass until he came to the flat river bottom. Just as he was almost around the semi, a deer crosses the road and the semi catches the back half of the deer and the front half smacked the windshield of the expedition and covered the entire car with blood and internals. He had a hell of a time explaining all the blood to his parents.

30. My dad and I are ridding together late one summer night. Heading to home in Brewster on Cape Cod.
    He's driving his little pride 'n' joy, a 1958 Sunbeam Rapier convertible. I'm curled up in the fetal in its tiny rear seat half asleep.
    It's very foggy that night between heavy downpours so I'm sure he couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of him.
    I suddenly awaken to a loud "Hold on" from him, a loud bang ,and the entire right side lifts up putting us on 2 wheels.
    We came back down hard, doing a slow 180 on the slippery Mid Cape Highway.
    We struck a huge Sea Turtle, must have measured 3 feet in diameter.
    In the dark fog I saw him still crawling to the right side of the Mid Cape.
    Tough critter.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014