Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BBC in a Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61wingedwagon, Mar 2, 2014.

1. 61wingedwagon

61wingedwagon

Alright, I'm getting ready to start on my first old school hot rod. I've mostly had muscle cars and a period correct 61 gasser.

My question is, would a BBC be considered traditional in a Model A ? Ive seen plenty of guy running them and I already have a nice one I could use but I want to stay as close to traditional as possible.

Thanks for the input.

2. pitman

pitman

If your intention is to 'stay as close as possible' I'd consider either an early SBC or late flattie. Both are quite historical in the 'A'. A BBC is overkill. Point and shoot.

3. trbomax

trbomax

Everybody has a sbc. A '65 396 is within the definition of "traditional" and is not only impressive looking,but a challenge to shoehorn in there and not like everyone else. Put a t-10 on it and go,thats my plan for the '28 in my avitar.Its had a sb in it for 50 yrs,time for a change!

4. Do it !

It would be a mid-late 60s style build,
    Unless the guy built his car in 62 and repowered in 65.

Anyone make W covers for a SBC?

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

With some restoration style 'Tonawanda' stickered valve covers,it would look like it was jammed in there back in 65 or 66.
    If you used the painted ones instead of chrome ones it would look even nastier!

I say do it!!!

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 61wingedwagon

61wingedwagon

Thanks for the posts !!

7. indyjps

indyjps

Go with 65-66 timeframe, dress the engine as such, choose wheels and styling from the time.

8. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Hot rodders have been putting ten pounds in a five pound bag for a long time. A Deuce frame would give a substantial amount of strength and stiffness over an A unit. Make sure you build the chassis, drivetrain and suspension to handle the torque and power.

9. Kool49

Kool49

Im running a 69 402 BBC in my 31 coupe , trying to keep the olskool look as far as dressing it up. Dont want to make it look to modern. Put a tunnel ram on it and some stacks ,it looks very kool . I wouldnt say its traditional but it does have that look i love . Im going to also run a 4 speed (manual tranny) behind it .

Attached Files:

10. 61wingedwagon

61wingedwagon

It looks good !!!