Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 T-bird, Starts 4 times and 5th time no crank??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TULSA, Mar 2, 2014.

1. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I dont usually post questions like these, but I am stumped. I have tried a different battery and I get the same thing. I am thinking it must be something with starter, but it does not make sense.

I can start the car, drive around, make stops, but almost every time I try and start it the 4th or 5th time during the day, it will not crank. Battery voltage is the same. Usually I cannot even jump it. Luckily its usually when I am back at home. Sometimes it will fire back up after an hour or so, but sometimes its a day or so.

Has anyone ran across this before?

2. It's not fully charging from the sound of it.

3. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

Exact same thing happened to me in my 61 Galaxie , 352 fe. It was the starter motor . Swapped it out and never had another issue.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

Also make sure your battery has a high enough cranking amp rating. Too small of a battery will produce similar symptoms.

5. Bad ground on the starter relay to the sheet metal.

6. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Tried a larger battery, that cant be the issue

Thats what I thought, but wouldnt it start right up when you jump it, if that was the case?

On the solenoid?

7. Fedman

Fedman

It wouldn't be your Neutral Safety Switch by chance?

Ford's were prone to that, have to hold the Gear Shifter up to get it to start.

8. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I have tried that... shifted up and down, tried in neutral as well... Unless its just really bad and knows to do it 4th or 5th time, that cant be it

9. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

Does it attempt to spin, click or act completely dead when turning the ignition. If it's the latter, I'd check the neutral safety switch. I've got the swing away column and have had similar gremlins.

10. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Well sometimes it will try and crank but do it very slowly. And the solenoid will click. But where is the safety switch located? I have the swing away as well.

11. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Could be the solenoid itself. I have learned that they can be "part time bad".

Have you tried bypassing the solenoid when it won't start?

12. Fedman

Fedman

Okay, if it clicks, and turns slow it is not the safety switch.

I would look at and replace all the Battery Cables if they are the original.
    They will corrode from the inside, and appear to be good from the outside.

And make sure the grounds are clean.

Good Luck!

13. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I am thinking I will start with replacing the solenoid (they are cheap), and check with connections.
    The battery cables are in good shape.

14. sdluck

sdluck

When it doesn't start have you tried jumping from the small post to the battery post on the solenoid? Make sure it is in park.

15. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I am going to try that. I figure that's best way to test the solenoid. Btw its 10 degrees with subzero windchill and cars in driveway so this will be fun!

16. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

If it's trying then it isn't the safety switch. The safety will cut all the power. I'm going to bet corroded cable and/or bad connection from the battery to the starter. Have somebody look at the connection at the starter while you try it. See if it Sparks.

17. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Put a new Soleniod on, no luck, I feel more and more it is the connection at starter. I agree cant be safety neutral, Soleniod pops when in park, but not when in reverse... however if I hold shifter up it will not pop either, not sure about that one.

Once this storm is gone I will check connections and likely run a new cable down to starter.

18. Dead spot in the armature? Starter stops with a brush on a dead contact. Kind of flukey if it does it every 4th or 5th time, but possible. Next time it acts up give the start a couple "love taps" with a hammer and see if it comes back to life.

19. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Starter cable connection has two nuts on it, remove the nut that holds the cable on and tighten down the nut that holds the stud to the starter.

20. brushwolf

brushwolf

Probably starter bushing. Will start awesome when cold but not start when warmed up good. I had a Fairlane years ago that did the same thing.

21. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Going to order a new starter tomorrow
    Ill check that first
    Wont start after a day of sitting, so not a hot cold thing...