Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 fairlane build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skriblz, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Skriblz

Skriblz

Ok so I'm starting my first Ford project it's a 57 ford fairlane 4 door. Spent most of my money on the car as of now so I decided to lower it the old school way untill I got the money to do otherwise. So I dropped the rear with 3in lowering blocks and wanted to cut the springs to lower the front. The blocks went in as easy as they should have but when it came to the front I removed the shock drum and unbolted the spindle from the upper a arm but could not get the coil to come loose I am very unfamiliar with fords. Does any one have any advice that might help.

Here are some photos of when I got it to the rear end being lowered

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

All you got to do is get the lower arm to drop. I just left the spindle on the upper removed the ball joint from the lower and ull probably have to get the sway bar off to get the lower arm to swing. If its still stuck in there ask it nicely with a hammer. Also my two cents but i dropped mine with areo star springs up front (still have to post pics) and it dropped a few inches. (2 or so). Also on the plus side they only cost like 50 bucks and u dont have to cut up your stock springs

3. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393674975.867825.jpg stock height vs areo star aprings

4. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Leave the nut on the lower ball joint stud a few threads while your asking it nicely to come loose with a hammer otherwise the spring might chase you around the shop when it flys out of there. If you decided to go the Aerostar spring route could you post pics when your finished? Thinking about doing that to my Custom 300.

5. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Yea iv been meaning to throw some pics up. Did this around New Years just keep forgetting.

6. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

And like he said! Safety first haha. Also a jack under the control arm to control how far the arm drops will help keep the spring in the tower.

7. Did you end up with cut the coils or use the aerostar springs? I recently did the Aerostar springs on my 58, perfect fit, mine went down little over 3" after it settled down in front. The ride Quality improvement alone is worth it.

BTW, I found a shock that is a really good fit. A standard S10 shock fits, the problem is they are not a lot shorter. If you use the shocks for an S10 Xtreme, that was a special edition that came from the factory lowered approx 1.75"
    That is a very compatible shock with a single stud at the top and a dual eyelet mount on the bottom. Combined with 3" blocks in the back, the stance came out perfect.

8. Skriblz

Skriblz

Thanks guys

Now are the ball joints pressed in or would I be able to remove and install easily buy myself

9. finn

finn

The ball joints are usually rivited to the arm, unless they were previously replaced. The drill (when I was a kid and these were just worn out used cars) is to chisel the head off the rivit and use a punch to beat the shank out. The new joint is bolted in.

I guess you'd use air tools now, but that's not traditional.

10. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You betcha!..great fellas dedicated to the 57 Ford and nothing else… great info!