Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my old vw-t bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Mar 1, 2014.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

2. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

Kinda surprised no one has hit the snitch button on this one.

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cool little piece of history,I think this guy had a hell of a time driving his old hot rod again. Thanks for sharing!

4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, now I realize that this guy is you! Congrats on finding your old car!!! I´d be flabbergasted aswell!

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Very cool! That must be a blast to drive.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

7. Although it ain't a traditional hot rod and is powered by a vdub engine it's pretty cool looking. HRP

8. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Watched the video, pretty cool.

9. Go and ahead and snitch, ya squeller

10. thunderplex

thunderplex

X2, on the post above!

Great story.

We all have cars that we would like to see again after 30+ years. It was great to see and hear the joy he still had for his earlier creation.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Kinda surprised you have no inkling what power to weight ratios are... A fairly stock 1600 dual port would make it hard to keep the front end of this car on the ground. I'd call some thing a Hot Rod that can pull the wheels at a stop light pretty easily. Also kinda surprised you didn't read the other thread about this car that Ryan gave his Grand Poobah Okly-Dokely too...

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The right people like them and it gets a pass. Not a bad thing, sometimes.

13. I've known Randy Carlson forever, it seems, good friends to the day, sold him my 55,000 original mile 55 sunroof an 1967 21 window when I moved to Nor Cal. He sent me photos of that car some months ago, I have been having the urge for an Andy Brizio/Kent Fuller V-Rod for quite some time now, at the beginning he was asking me what it was...

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Along with every mod you do right on those little buggers makes them faster. A buddy did a bug when I was still living in Texas and did it step by step with
    cam change, carb and intake change, ignition change and exhaust change (not necessarily in that order) and each change gave you a real seat of the pants feel where you could tell the difference. Quite a difference than spending a thousand bucks on a big V8 to maybe get 3 tenths in the quarter.

15. Dave isn't it funny when some old VW guy shows up on here. Hope all is well in Nor Cal

16. luckystiff

luckystiff

theres more of us around here than anyone would guess i'd bet.

as said it doesn't take much to make one be impressive. but with that said to build a stout yet reliable engine for one ain't cheap. i've got around $6k in the 2021 stroker in my 67 squareback. but i didn't hit cheap route on anything i wanted it to have power but be daily reliable. i can't tell you how many "hot rod" guys around here chased me down after being passed by it to find out. with the exhaust i'm running it sounds mean and gets attention more so than it did(you don't see alot of type 3s here). i took a few for a ride and watched them hold on hahaha. not bad for something that also gets 25-30mpg.

i've said for years i'd love to build one of those volks t bucket deals. just one of those things thats low on the priority list which is WAY to long...

but yeah i'd say personaly 70% of hot rod guys i know are into them at least a little....

17. Now imagine one of those t-Buckets, with a mild 1914 cc or 2010 cc engine with a (non-traditional) turbo.. 300-350 horsepower, in a 1,400 pound car..do the math...now THAT would be a hot rod !!!

Hi Matt, things are GOOD !!!!

18. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

Awesome vid! Your reaction was priceless. Thanks for sharing!
    My first love was rods, second was VeeDubs. These cars are a great combination of the two, no denying it. A great survivor.

19. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

hey thanks for all the replies. i knew that the old vw t threads are still around, so i figured this was good to go. besides kent fuller built his back in the '60's and yes they are very fast. mine weighed 1200 lbs. as far as what i am doing to it now, i have it down to the bare frame and redoing the rear suspension. i decided not to do the torsion bar front end do to the cost right now. i have changed the steering box and radius rods so it has more adjustment for caster. there will be a lot of body work to do. gary

20. navyboy

navyboy

Thanks for sharing.

21. that thing looks like 10 pounds of fun in a 5 pound bag!

what'd you swap for it?

22. luke13

luke13

looks real easy to build.

23. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.