Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects If you love her, let her go. (so they say)-1950 Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Garagekulture13, Mar 1, 2014.

1. IMG_20140125_112528_020.jpg IMG_20140125_124241_557.jpg IMG_20140125_112528_020.jpg IMG_20140125_124241_557.jpg IMG_20140125_112447_909 (2).jpg COTY'S PONTIAC REDNECK 3 resized.jpg COTY'S PONTIAC AND NEW OWNER 4 resized.jpg COTY'S PONTIAC NEW OWNER 2 resized.jpg COTY'S PONTIAC REDNECK 6 resized.jpg They say if you love her to let her go and if it is meant to be then she will come back. Well, she is back! Back in the summer of 2006 (I had just turned 21) I saw an old car on the side of the road for sale. I would pass it on the way to the gym. So for a few weeks I drove past this green 50's model car for sale and it was killing me. I knew if I stopped I would want it. Hell I wanted it and didn't even know anything about it. After several weeks I finally stopped by. I called my dad and told him about it. The car was a little out of my price but not by much. My dad then suggested that it was time I get a loan and begin to build some credit up. After much deliberation I decided I would go for it. I met the owner and discovered it was a 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak deluxe model with a straight 8 flathead. The car was ALL stock and ran great. We sealed the deal and I was the new owner of a 50 model Poncho. I lowered the car in the rear and for whatever reason sprayed flat black paint over a nice emerald green paint job. (youthful ignorance). I drove the car every where. I would go out in the middle of the night to drive her across several towns and back just to be in it. I loved the car.

Again for a reason not left in my memory I put the car up for sale the next summer. I recieved a phone call from a man that was interested in the car. He asked if it ran and I said yes just get in and go. Without further conversation he bought it over the phone and had me take it to his company where his secratary paid me. I never met the man. It wasn't long (a year or so) I regretted what I had done and went back to see if I could buy the car back. As you already guessed he had sold it. The car had gone to Alabama. I thought then she is gone forever.

In about 2011 my dad and I was at the Redneck Rumble in Lebanon, TN and guess who was there. My Poncho had been brought up from Alabama and was for sale. I spoke with the man (Ron) and told him I use to own the car. It actually looked the exact same as when I had it. He lowered the front and that was it. I did not make an offer for I had the feeling that he wanted a mint. About a year later this was confirmed. I let about a year go by before I called him on the car. He told me he still had it and said he would take $8000, about double what I thought the car was worth. Let down I knew I couldn't make it happen.

Well last month my dad was going through some old pictures on his computer. He called and told me he ran across some pictures of me looking at the car at the Redneck Rumble. He said Ron's number was in one of the pictures. I told him to call and see if he still had it. I figured what could it hurt. My dad at the time had Rhino for sale. So when the guy said he still had the car my dad offered to trade him the Rhino for the Pontiac. After deliberation the guy agreed!

We then started to plan our trip to Alabama to get her home. My dad asked if he had the title. He said yes and it is still in your son's name. After two other owners and 7 years the title was still in my name. The man had recently had open heart surgery and wasn't doing great. My dad said he seemed like he wanted me to get the car back. The morning we were to leave to get the car we get phone call. It's Ron and he is being life flighted to the hospital. He told us the deal was done and for us to come any way. His father an elder man met us when we arrived. We made the swap and we were on the way home.

After new gas, fuel pump,brake fluid and paying my dad I was going down the road again in my beloved Poncho! The pictures of the car under a lean to is how we found the car. The pictures of the car at the car show is where I saw her at the Redneck Rumble with Ron.

Thanks Dad for making the deal and thanks Ron for allowing me to get her back.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Wow, great story! I too had a '50 Pontiac as a kid. They are great cars. I hope you enjoy it!

And keep the straight 8! :)

3. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Man what a cool story. Sometimes the moon and stars align just right...

4. Someday I'm gonna have a 50 Pontiac...either a fastback like yours or a coupe..hell, maybe both! Yours is gorgeous IMHO...very classy

5. desotot

desotot

I had several I wish would come back. Great story.

6. SoCal

SoCal

Cool ponty and great story. You won't make that mistake too quickly again.

7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Story! Things come and go around, the Poncho just wanted to stay with you, haha! I think it' s great you're keeping the straight 8!!

8. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Nice story! I like the part of the title still being in your name.

9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

good story and glad you got the car back. i gad a 53 Pontiac i bought when i was 14 and wish i would have kept it longer. sold it a year later at 15 to buy a 62 Lemans

10. Luther Grimace

Luther Grimace

11. I have been driving the Poncho around for a few weeks. I must say I'm getting tired of just putting around. I think the flathead is awesome and I love telling people I'm still running the original mill. But I hate not being able jump on the interstate and being wound up running 55mph. Been debating pulling the flatty.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Why don't you swap in an OD trans or a taller rear gear?

13. Saxmans right!
    Two names...Bendtson's adapters at speed gems, and Wilcap adapters. Since Wilcap has one for my Mopar flathead six, The probobley have one for your Poncho!

14. Rich31ford

Rich31ford
    from Tucson,AZ

thats a great story!!!

15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Great story and congrats on getting your old wheels back. Unless I missed it did the previous owner make it?

16. indyjps

indyjps

Glad you got it back, was the emerad paint in good condition, couple gallons of thinner might take that flat black off, what kind of paint did you use?

17. I checked back and he is doing good now. About the paint, I've been wet sanding the primer off. I waxed a small section and it still holds a shine.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  18. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Did they not drive it? No plates/insurance?

Awesome that you got it back! :cool: Do you feel Like you'll never get rid of it again?

I got my dad's T Bucket back a few years ago he built/sold over 40 years ago & don't ever want to lose it again. I remember him stopping several times when I was growing up to see if they would sell it back w/ no luck, I was so disappointed each time.

Congrats!

19. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Happy ending all around, the primer probably saved the paint a bit from fading or deteriorating. Post pics when you get it done.

20. afaulk

afaulk

Cool story! In Alabama vehicles (pre 1973 I believe it is) didn't have titles. They are bought and sold on notorized bills of sale. If you turn in a title, it's just lost. So... keep the title and pass it on to the next buyer. If it ends up going to another state where a title is required, this can save the hassle of applying for a title.

21. low51fan

low51fan

I grew up in eastern SD and there was a car just like your pics I drove by everyday always wanted to stop and ask but never did. I see these pics and once again kick myself for not doing so. Great story awesome car EnjoY!!!

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding sir.There`s a quote that fits this thread to a "T".
    "All good things come to he who waits".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. Open drive. Easy motor swap except steering clearance can be an issue.

24. awesome story, and glad to see it had it home once again ....

and getting the paper work on the car, was a breeze too =)

25. 1398869913296.jpg 1398870158394.jpg 1398870217476.jpg Here is a picture of the section I wet sanded and waxed on the hood. You can see my garage door reflection in it. Also I've had the generator rebuilt which turned out great!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I love a hapy ending! Great story.

27. 1399046119247.jpg 1399046127263.jpg 1399046135317.jpg I have also put disc brakes on the front since I have had it back.

28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Back in the 50s a friend an I put an olds in one, and it seems there was a steering box problem. A 50 olds w/s fits and gives you a one piece w/s. You might want to think about r/e gears,olds and pontiac from 39 to 56 fit.

29. 1965012_10203973838616439_755490097400344672_n.jpg
    I got the white walls on the other day. Since this picture I have lowered the car in the rear another inch.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    kiwijeff likes this.
  30. stimpy

stimpy

did you ever find you a hood ornamate yet ?? also what is the color code for the green , thats looking nice , I don;t know what mine is since the plate is missing and its been repainted several times ( found out from chipping back paint )