Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converted my Toploader 4 speed to a Hydralic Bearing now have leaks!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Thunderboy, Mar 1, 2014.

1. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

See photo i installed this on one of my cars because i could not get my Z bar to work with these headers i got off a buddy. I installed and adjusted it and the trans never showed any signs of leaking in 5 years ive had it. I never even flushed or changed the fluid since it shifts perfect when i bought it.

now i am getting this leak right under the bellhousing inspection plate, i thought it was motor oil from my rear main but its not. I just took the car for a drive since its been sitting all winter and i came back and the drip got worse, its thick like honey and even looks like honey. I cant smell a thing but it doesn't smell like trans or gear oil. Im wondering is maybe this Tilton bearing is leaking grease or something?

I never installed or used one of these kits can anyone here comment on this? Im going to snap a shot of the fluid now to post in this thread.

Can my trans be leaking from the input shaft?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Anything is possible, but I would suspect the TO bearing first since that is what you replaced. What are you using for hydraulic fluid to the bearing?

3. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

some Napa DOT3 as they suggested, im gonna drain my trans overnight and refill and see if this helps, here is another photo of where its leaking down on the floor.

Attached Files:

4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

possible o-ring on the TOB connection is misaligned or damaged?

5. Ole don

Ole don

It appears you had to replace a bolt with a stud. Is it only one, or two? If two, the one we cant see is below the level of the gear oil. Did you apply sealer to the threads? Is the gasket broken?

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Get some tracer dye and put different colors in the transmission and throwout bearing fluids.

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Check the fluid level of the clutch mc. Mine from speedway leaks like the titanic. Replacing it with a better one.

Sent via my typewriter

8. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Actually what you see as a stud is supposed to be there if i'm not mistaken....it keeps the hyd. throwout from spinning I believe. Keeps the lines from a lot of moving back and forth too. I would suspect the Hyd throwout since that is only thing that has changed...

9. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

When Ford started putting hydraulic TO bearings in F-100's we went through a lot of variations before they finally got a seal that would stand up. They did not like our cold weather up here.

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The stud also gives the throwout bearing something to push off from and there is likely a second one directly opposite of it which would be below the transmission fluid level.

11. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

I removed my hyd bearing and installed a slave cyl. Much better deal in my opinion, and if I do have a leak it's external, don't have to pull the trans to get to it. I will never use another hyd bearing.