Register now to get rid of these ads!

synchronized trans swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by floydspeed, Mar 1, 2014.

1. floydspeed

floydspeed
    from Illinois

Hello all, I have a customer with a 1947 Ford pick up with a late 40's to early 50's mercury V8 and a non-synchro 3 speed trans. Needless to say he's tired of the trans and wants to swap out with a synchronized trans. I'm looking for some advice and suggestions on what trans would bolt into place. This customer is a motorer and likes to drive his cars alot so I need some ideas for a quick turn around. Thanks.

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

3. The 47 pickup 3 speed should have synchros on 2nd and 3rd. There is no such thing as a bolt-in fully synchro trans, any swap will involve at least trans mount modification. The trans that will involve the least mods would be an F150 84-87. This is 4 speed with top being overdrive. It is strong, the shifter is in nearly stock position, and will involve driveshaft shortening and fairly simple trans mount mod. Here is mine which I modded to fit a torque tube drive shaft, and welded the early gearshift lever to.
    [​IMG]

4. floydspeed

floydspeed
    from Illinois

Very nice. I wasn't sure if the truck trans were synchronized or if it needed some help internally. Trans mount modification doesn't bother me. Just have to wait for the drivline shop to work with the driveshaft. Just didn't want to pull my hair out with clutch linkage and bellhousing mods. I'll suggest this to him. Thanks for the input.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it is purely a matter of not liking a balky 3 speed maybe a rebuild would be the simplest. They are not a bad trans if they are in good shape.

6. floydspeed

floydspeed
    from Illinois

Hopefully some parts are in good shape. Waiting for the customer to get back to me on his ideas then I can talk to my trans guys about a rebuild. Thanks.