Register now to get rid of these ads!

VDO Speedo Shake on my 1928 Abone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldmanolds, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

I replaced a broken cable on my VDO speedometer. Ever since the swap my needle shakes at any speed I run. Any suggestions on what it might be? I was hoping to get it fixed and road tested before the predicted foot of snow arrives. I really don't want to start part swapping if I can isolate what it might be and have at it.:confused:

2. did you lube the new cable?

3. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Nope. Think that's it? What should I lube it with?

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lube it with the graphite stuff that Napa sells and make sure the ends are tight on the speedo and trans (by hand-not crazy tight) with no tight bends

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

It also may be a tad to long if you replaced just the cable and not the housing...

6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

You need to lube it and the inner cable maybe a little to long regardless if you bought an assembly or not. So you can loosen the top or bottom nut some and see if that helps. Gary

7. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

How would I know the right length? Tried all other suggestions and still have that shaking.

8. If you loosen the housing ends like Roadster mentioned and it stops or changes then its too long. Whe its a hair too long, the cable rubs on the inside of the housing and bids causing that bouncing.