Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

ProJims killer '64!

[​IMG]

2. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Well- The Windsor Acceleration Society had their meeting tonight at Irwindale. I set a new low E.T. with the Chinese piece of junk carb, and got to sit in the water box and watch Roy launch his Comet to the Moon yet again!! Its quite a sight from that vantage point!!! I was left pondering the thought of when the front wheels would finally touch back down!!! Some cool pics are up on Mike Morgans Fotki site for those who have been there.For some reason I cannot link up to it tonight!

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;Mike's site worked for me!! He has a few pictures of your Comet and mine!! Good to see you tonight,looks like the Comet is ready for England!!!Looks like mine may be down for a while!!! ROY.

4. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Something break when landing?......Al

5. recycler

recycler

I bought this 65 Cyclone from one of my best friends today. His Dad bought it new in 65 and they've had it ever since. I'm going to convert it from it's current pro street form into a street gasser. It has a 408 stroker Cleveland and a 4 speed.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

6. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Cool car Recycler, it has some serious tires on the back, 30x13s? Did they have any ET info for you as it is?.....Al

7. ya Roy, details. was hoping to see you and your car at the match meets. off topic, I believe we have a mutual friend, Wayne Green.

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Big Mike;YES,Wayne Green and I are friends! Met him in 2004 in Oklahoma,he had driven his SOHC powered 41 Ford from CA. back there!!!I see him up ar Famoso once or twice a year!! It does not look good for my making the March Meet now after breaking first gear last night.I need to be in Bako a week from this Wednesday!!!! ROY.

9. recycler

recycler

Yes 30.5 x 13s. No ET info. The previous owner never took it to the track after he "pro streeted" it and put the Cleveland in it. I can tell you it will destroy those tires! The steering is screwed up as is and it's not pleasant to drive. It's scary. A straight axle and steering box will fix that.

10. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Sorry to hear Roy I'm sure it made a mess inside the Jerico. Did you get any good passes in?.....Al

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;YES,I got two passes in,the first I left too soft,5800,ran OK,second pass left at 6000,carried the wheels through second and back up in third,short shifted fourth to settle it down.First gear broke on that second pass just as I shifted[I think]!!! I may change gear ratios while it is apart,first,second and third! Jerico makes it easy,as each gear is separate,splined and held with a clip.Looks like I will miss the March Meet,OH WELL!!!! ROY.

12. yes Roy, I was at Wayne's house wednesday night helping him put tranny in his car. Bummer about broken gear. Just like six million dollar man, will come back stronger, faster!

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Parts ordered yesterday,hopefully be here at least by Monday,that will give me time to rebuild the trans and get it in the Comet by the March Meet!!!!Drag Racing is FUN!!!!!! ROY.

14. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Really glad to hear the cheer in your words Roy! I hope the gear change gets you some ET, what are your thoughts on keeping the front down? March meet sounds fun......Al

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;I've been talking to some people with similar setups! The main issue seems to be I need more wheel speed on the launch! I'm at 6000 now on the two step,need to try moving it up some,will try 200 rpm increments!! I also need to soften up the clutch ! ROY.

16. ec164

ec164
    from MI

what about front end travel, got extra? what type rear shocks, adjustable? what about rear air pressure, maybe extra lb? you may have tried all this stuff Roy I know you have been doing this for a long time, the rpms and clutch sound figured out, which helped you get the ET slips you have. Sounds like you have gone higher with first gear for wheel speed, added air pressure will get some too!......Al

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;one thing that I think is happening is the clutch.When I had it rebuilt around Sept last year,they rebuilt everything and went with a different clutch material,does not seem to slip as much.I'm going to take another round out of the pressure plate to see if that will help.I do have adjustable rear shocks,have tried different settings,tire pressure is up about a pound.I also may take some front wheel travel out,it is only limited in droop by about 11/2 inches now,any higher and the tie rod angles get scary!!The new disc seems to be giving me fits,I will figure it out,SOON,I hope!!! ROY.

18. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Don't take out more travel in front will go higher, was hoping you had 3 inches, may need a bump steer kit which will eliminate the scary! On your shocks go counter clockwise to full soft on rebound then back two clicks will soften the hit to the tire. Hooking like it does another lb. of air maybe. Was that disc a Ram metallic 6 finger?.......Al

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;McLeod informed me they felt it needed a more aggressive disc material after what they found during the rebuild,everything in the bellhousing is same,except the disc,as before! I have gone through the full range on the adjusters,no change in launch!I have 10lbs in the tires now,may try 10.5,see what happens!I do not have bump steer issues,I was talking about how extreme the tie rod angle gets at full droop!! Thanks for the info!! ROY.

20. ec164

ec164
    from MI

oh ok I mis-read the scary, hope you get it, would be nice seeing you carrying the tires at 18 inches and 10.0s better yet 9.9s......Al

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;I built a mild version of the 418W as I DO NOT want to run 9s,it takes more effort and money to run 9s!!!You need to be Licensed,car needs to be certified,more safety gear for the driver and the car,stuff I just do not want to deal with!! It is quicker than I expected as I was looking for 10.40s so it would not be too hard to slow for the 10.60 D/GAS index racing out here.I think I can still slow it down with some tricks my friends have given me!! You are not allowed any electronic or pneumatic controls in any gas classes.I was going to try D/G next week,think I need to test,may try it in April!! ROY.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  22. ec164

ec164
    from MI

That sounds interesting, I know nothing about any of those classes, I don't think we have anything like that here. Basically bracket racing and one track has a heads up deal once a month with multiple classes. NMCA never even came to Milan last year now I have to leave the state to watch the NSS racing.......Al

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;I have always wanted to get back to index racing!D/GAS is run on a 10.60 index on a .500 Pro Tree.It is an All Run class,so even if you are off the 10.60 you get to run.If you run too quick in eliminations though you are done [unless the other car goes farther under]!!!The class is run in many associations out here,the Vegas Fastest Street Car race runs them in what is called their Triple Index Class,last year my friend Dan was #1 car,427 64 Fairlane T-Bolt clone,10.6001!!!!Lost in the finals! ROY.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  24. Mummert

Mummert

Been a while since I've been on. Question of the day is headers. Are there any "readily available" for FE's with Crites fenderwell kit. I know crites offers some but what else.
    Once the fenderwells have been notched are 67' Mustang a possibility or are the frame rails different. I know Jardine is working on some but they don't seem to be ready for prime time.
    Curious to know what the FE guys are doing.

25. spiertb

spiertb

I bought a set on e-bay for an FE in a falcon-they fit fine in my Comet-just a little dent modification. They might have been Mad Dog headers-he makes some nice ones. Syl

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

It looks like he builds the Crites headers...they look like nice stuff.

Scott

27. ec164

ec164
    from MI

If you do a search for Jardine on this site, you may find a guy on here that showed his in a 64 Comet setting next to I think a set of Crites he took out of his car.......another option is get a set built to fit when your done then no worries of denting to make fit perfect........Al

28. 65COMET

65COMET

I believe Al is talking about Mercury Junky,Ken Godsey.He has the Sox and Martin tribute 64 Comet.Jardine built his new set and I believe they can do others!! The pictures are on Post #5659,page#283. ROY.

29. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Good research Roy, just went back to look, now I know why they are so expensive to make....No Room.......Al

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;the intermediate Ford products were not designed for any V-8,let alone an FE,the 6 poppers barely make it in there!!!Not looking good for my Comet to make the March Meet,NO Jerico parts yet!!! ROY.