Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead 6 Plymouth dual carb jetting????

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by plymouth1951, Feb 26, 2014.

1. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Hi all. I have a 51 Plymouth Flathead 6 with an Edmund's dual intake manifold and am using 2 stock Ball&Ball Carter carburetors. I put this setup together a few years ago and it seems to idle and run good. I even go drag racing w it for fun once a year at the antique nationals at irwindale in Calif. No flat spots and plugs don't foul out. The spark plugs look pretty good w medium tan color at the base of the porcelain. Overall I would say it runs pretty good but I am guessing its a tad rich.....it must be because I have doubled stock carbs and I see some black smoking when under a heavy load.

Here is the question.......where can I find a selection of jets for these stock carbs? I asked my local carb shop and they couldn't really help as they typically work on newer larger carbs. I am building a hotter engine too and will need to tune that engine. In the meantime I would like to dial this engine a little better and purchase a selection of jets so I can easily tune my car when I make changes to it. Anybody know if? what? where? such jets are available and what the application would be? so I can track em down.

So far I am pretty happy w the carbs as is and would rather not change carbs out at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thx. MIKE

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. navyboy

navyboy

not sure if this carb has jets to change, I have the same on my 52 ply. you have a idle adjustment that will rich/lean you out.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They are a Carter carb, I wonder if stock Carter jets fit? Maybe the Carb King will chime in.

I was going to suggest you add an oxygen sensor to the exhaust pipe, the same kind fuel injection cars use. You can hook it to a digital volt meter and read your mixture strength, this is a big help in tuning a carb for performance.

Do a search online, there is quite a bit of info available.

4. get a number bit set, and stick one in the jets to see where they are sized at, then solder the jets up and drill them out a few smaller sizes than what they were before and drill bigger size by size until tuned where you want them to be.

5. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Are you running stock cam/headers? Set up I put in a '51 Business Coupe back in the mid '70's was: Edmunds 2-1 bbl (stock carbs), Fenton cast iron headers, Isky 3/4 cam, used either stock head or finned aluminum high compression head and has been run ever since with virtually no carb tuning except idle adjustment. If stock cam and no headers, might want to check with EGGE, http://www.egge.com/.

6. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

That is friggin' brilliant!

7. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Hi. Thx for the response. There is a main jet and some metering mechanism that also adjusts fuel supply which I haven't figured out and I don't think its adjustable(spring tension). The repair manual is awesome and indicates there are two jets avail originally.....1. For sea level altitudes /climates and 2. For higher altitudes /climates. I looked around and couldn't find #2 jets anywhere. There were some good responses

8. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Hi Rusty. Thanks for replying re Carter jets. I loved your idea re oxygen sensor. That's very doable and will help me check jetting at speed more effectively...hopefully. I can do that easily. I hope it helps.

Last year I purchased an Allen Analyzer with ignition scope and exhaust analyzer which has been a project of its own. Its 6' h x 4' w and 300lbs. Later it dawned on me.....this beast wont fit in my Plymouth to analyze exhast on the freeway! Price was right and good learning curve came w it. I like your idea better and a volt meter to measure resistance will fit. I will look into this.

Thanks for your replys. I notice you chime in lots of threads. I appreciate reading your responses.
    Have a great day. Mike Schmitt

9. plymouth1951

plymouth1951

Thx for message re drill bits. I had this idea too. Was hoping to learn a source for jets first. If no source then I will use jets and drills. Thanks again for your response. Mike