Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects finally got my long desired 34 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Xman

Xman

My 34 3W lid measures the same as Mart's.

2. daddio211

daddio211

You told him it was a '32 5 window, but you didn't mention it was a Chevy, right? :D

Just teasing ya man. I'm curious to find out where this goes.

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

3. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I gave up on it. The deck lid is sitting in the garage till I dumpster it. I'll have to fix the glass one and make it fit
    Thanks anyways guys

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  4. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Well I always toyed with buying a glass car and was real iffy on it till i read you post and I must say next time one comes up for sale in my area I might just grab it up and build it
    And you do great work very nice build

5. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

thank you buick.
    i think alot of guys otta rethink the glass cars.. not saying that they are the best thing to go after. but its a good solution to not having the ability to have that certain steel car that is so desired.
    its been a fun build, i cannot wait to see a coat of paint on it.

6. There are many fine rides out there made from glass not just repos. I don't have a problem with whatever my ride is made from, It is mine to enjoy as I see fit. Great looking car Ben .Git er dun & on the road.;)

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Bob
    Hope your roadster makes it home soon.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392999578.827555.jpg

8. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Enjoying your build - I would like to see you figure out where the problem is with the deck lid but I understand that you need to press on.

Just curious as to what your trunk opening measures compared to others?

Were/are you planning on louvers in the deck lid ?

9. redzula

redzula

Don't forget to throw the body in the oven too.

10. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I started the process of installing the glass deck lid today . I fabbed up some brackets that welded to the structure inside the car. They fit to the seat back area and extend into the truck under the sail panel. Then I pie cut some square tubing to make up the hinge arms. This worked really well and was a lucky guess on the first try to the exact geometry needed to lift the lid at the right angle and clear the body .
    I will have to plasma cut a latch bracket and some hinge attaching plates to replace the temporary ones I made tonight . Then I can glue the skin on. Since I cannot use a steel lid, I'm not louvering anything. I was going to do the deck lid, fuse a roof insert on, and have the hood done. But now I will just leave it all smooth.
    Also today, the more I looked at the front end, it wasn't low enough . So I yanked the front spring and reversed it.i also installed new u bolts and a new clamp base. I like the lower stance now. Gives it a little more rake. I have even considered flattening out the rear crossmember about 2.5-3 inches . Just to give the car the right look .
    Here is a few pics from today
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393129091.141088.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393129108.334865.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393129126.858605.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393129151.351442.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393129167.227033.jpg

11. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Bad ass very nice ben,,,, u made that car .. Its come such a long ways ...

12. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Have a look at any after-market or original hinge Ben. They almost curve back on themselves so as to push the lid out slightly before rising, otherwise it will always rub on the top rain gutter. And get the inner hinge mount as high as possible..

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

If I had better pictures, you could see these do the same. It clears the rain gutter by 3/8 of an inch and closes nice and square . They work quite we'll. I order my gasket that slips on the rain gutter. So we will see how it seals then and I'll get the latch in. Then we will be ready to bond the skin on

14. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I'm curious about the deck lid dilemma. I'll measure my '33 coupe (Outlaw glass) & '34 roadster (all steel).

Your coupe is looking great - I admire your skill & determination. You'll be riding soon!!

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I picked up a top tank for a 34 radiator . This bracket will make installing an aluminum radiator so simple.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393213225.014616.jpg

16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I ordered a radiator today .Its a custom aluminum one. It should fit nice. I was curious about my engine condition so wanted to inspect it closely .. I pulled the heads again and cleaned it up, it's bored .030 over and looks like it has hardly ever ran, it's so clean inside. It does have a few marks in the cylinder walls, I can't tell if they are scuffs or scratches.. But it looks great. I can see any cracks ether. I oiled all the cylinders up good. I'll wait till the radiator comes and we can start aligning body panels .. That will be fun ....
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393386869.170104.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393386883.334365.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  17. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Oh I see, You pawned your 28-36-41-33 buick, chevy, hupmobile, studabaker Deck lid off on me huh?:D:D:D Oh well I will make the damn thing fit, I have a torch and an old welder somewhere around here..:cool::cool: Hell there is atleast an inich of rust that needs cut off that decklid anyhow....LOL

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

HA! thats a good laugh for the day... oooooo its a 34 deck lid for sure. my car is just a misfit stubborn bastard! its alot better than a few others that popped up here on the local swap meet! :)

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I received my original 34 top radiator tank today with the bracket I needed . So I drilled out the rivets from the back side and heated it with a torch until all the soldering broke free as I could pull the bracket off.
    This bracket will now be mounted to the top tank of my aluminum radiator . Allowing me to put the radiator support rods in the right spot and also to have the grill shell lined up in the proper spot compared to the rods. This will help the painstaking alignment process that is about to come my way
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393474236.072038.jpg

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hotrodderhaag, I drive a Brookville '32, but a good friend with a glass '32 always beats me in rod shows because he has a period-correct ride:steelies, pie-crust Firestones, flathead with 3-twos, 39 trans, black paint with half-hood. No one even knows or cares if it's glass. Go for it.

21. box50

box50

Hey dude looking good it's really coming together see ya'll next month.

22. daddio211

daddio211

Wait, you're not suggesting people go to shows to win trophies, ARE YOU!? :rolleyes:

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

23. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I dropped all the glass templates off Friday.. Should have it all back Wednesday !

24. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

My new radiator came in..
    Looks great . Some modifications to do, but it's aluminum so that's no problem..

I'm having a hell of a time aligning the hood with the grill and the body..

It's gonna take some serious time

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Spring cleaning.
    Window glass is done. I get to pick it up tomorrow. Hoping it all fits well and operates smoothly .
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395102479.626148.jpg

26. Xman

Xman

Thats a Hot Rod for sure!

27. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

28. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Meadville plate glass finished up my windows . I took them up some 1/4 thick fiberboard templates, and they returned some perfect size windows with the metal channels installed ready to go. I brought them home and slid them up in the channels and they rolled up like a real car would . Nice and smooth and straight. That abortion came out very nicely! I'm making some bases so when the window rolls down the glass will slide into them and not rattle . Then it's door skin time!!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395264706.788457.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395264721.522730.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395264735.925731.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395264751.342636.jpg

29. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya nice work.. Feels good when something goes right for once...

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

This is a pretty big deal to me:
    Still need window crank handles too