Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Merc 4-door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Low-4-Life, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Hello every one from New Mexico the my name is manny

Well I recently bought my wife her dream car a 1950 Merc we originally were looking for a 49 2 door merc but she saw this one i found on craigslist in Dallas TX and fell in love at first sight she loves the suicide doors in the back. well plans are give it a chop top and Chassis wise im just going to update to disk and put drop spindles we will have air ride on it. the rear end will be notched and 4 linked to get her low to the ground, motor wise it still has the original flat head v8 witch i will be swapping out for a crate engine v8 chevy. to my amazement the floor is dammm solid a little sand blasting and man it will be ready honestly. there is no major rust on it i was super surprised but still in the tear down phase so if i find some other then surface rust ill he a happy camper.
    oh as far as work to be done well i will be doing everything minus painting it but everything else is well i guess you can say Manny's Garage Customs lol stay tuned and for you mercury vet builders please don't hesitate to give me you input and knowledge if its sarcastic well i was a Marine so i have heard worse lol thanks and god bless and again stay tuned im gonna be going any chance i get on the car.

Attached Files:

2. desotot

desotot

Right on! have fun doing the merc. Go man go.

3. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

right on thanks

4. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Cool, I have one that I will be starting this summer. You go first and I'll learn from your mistakes!

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Mercs are great. My wife has a 51 more door. If you need any info or have a Merc question ill try and help. Now get it running and drive!

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

Welcome! Good luck with your build, Should be Kool, Can't go wrong with a Merc. John

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  7. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

Im hoping to get more of my thread on the way!! There is alot of work though I can tell you that.

8. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

9. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Sorry for the late updates I have moving on the Merc. finally got it up on stands, frame rolled out and. I was fortunate to get a hold of a Lincoln town cars 5.0 engine with low millage, harness computer and transmission. i will be installing it in the Merc i will post up more progress. ill be moving in a couple of weeks but i will update asap.

Attached Files:

10. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Thanks bro i will check it out

11. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

I hear you on that and space in my garage makes it suck ass. but i was very fortunate that my inner rockers floor pans and every thing else was rust free so that takes a lot of the work out.

12. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

cool bro thanks will do. have you ever chopped a merc?

13. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Right on thanks :D

14. San_Jose_Speed_&_Chrome

San_Jose_Speed_&_Chrome

Any Parts or advice/information wanted dont hesitate giving us a call down here at Gambino Kustoms! 408 479 4812

15. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

hell yah Gambino Kustoms i have heard good things of your shop will do. Thanks

16. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Ok I need some guidance i came across a killer deal and bought a 93 lincoln town car with a OVHC engine I believe 4.6 running. Im wanting to install it in my merc my question is can. A gm 700r4 bolt up with a adapter and if so is there a place that makes the adapters. Has anyone ever done this engine swap here on tbe HAMB. Thanks

17. Manny....thought you were doin' the Flathead? no luck in finding a builder here in the desert southwest? or still at the planning stage...I guess with a ground zero project...things are 'always subject to change'

I just Blew thru your metropolis...as I had work in Clovis. Wanted to stop by and check out your build...but didn't know if we were tight enough (H.A.M.B. tight) for a pop-in... :)

I just got a tip of a possible builder in Alamo...let me get the specifics on him...he comes from a very reliable source

18. Not sure why you wouldn't just run the matching Ford AOD trans with that motor.

You may find some Ford to Chevy adapter for the bell, but you're going to be 100% on your own figuring out the TV cable and hooking it up. And since that's pretty crucial to not cooking the trans....

19. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

I would love to put the flatty it just was a practicaly free deal for this donor car running. The e gine its strong running. I called up lokar to see if they made the shifter kit for the tranny on the 4.6 engine to my suprise he said yah. Butches cool stuff sells the mounts I need aswell. I figured ill save the flatty for my 29 model a build. Planning planning still.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  20. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Engines out , and started graphing out patch panellss

Attached Files:

21. Bounder

Bounder

While you have the motor out measure between the frame rails and see how wide it is. Measure right back of the steering box. I had a heck of a time putting a 351 w in my 50. Terry at Butch's got me going though.

22. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

ok bro will do.

23. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Got my grill finally from a local junk yard. Started. Doing a lil mocking up just need one more tooth ill pick up monday .

Attached Files:

24. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Hello every one its been a wile I've posted but I will get yall up to date on my merc. So the the the frame has been sandblasted and first all the new parts: brake lines, fuel lines, all bushings and rubbers , 68 camaro rear axel, butches cool stuff 4' blocks w/ 3 leafs removed, new floor pans, 350 engine w/700r transmission, power brakes . I'm missing other things but it will get there.currently I'm prepping the engine up to get it welded in. What are your thoughts on my engine placement were it's sitting at? The rear axel I have set at 90° and the transmission tail of it I get 90° aswell. What are your thoughts.

Attached Files:

25. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Also I ended up getting 1951 skurts.

26. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

Replaced the rocker on the page side

Attached Files:

27. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

some old pics i dont believe in using alot of filler for body parts. i am a firm believer in dollying out parts. my rear splash shield was caved in its in the process of being straighten by yours truly haha, i also dollyed out the rear quarter it was also in pretty bad shape but now i got it pretty dang straight i also treated the inner quarter pannel because i like the molded to quarter to the back lower rocker pannel

Attached Files:

28. Low-4-Life

Low-4-Life
    from New Mexico

dos any one have any guidance on my engine placement in my pics. the engine is a GM 350 with a 700r4 transmission?
    any input will help