Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Remmember the trouble i had with 56 buick thermostate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Feb 26, 2014.

1. I wasn't sure if it was opening in my 1956 buick PROJECT station wagon lol. Well I found an original 56 thermostate in my buick pile of parts .I checked it a pot of boiling water and it opened at 185 so I poped it in. Then drove it up my mountain drive way a couple times to get her hot. The gage read close to 190 and I slowly opened the cap and could actually see the water moving finally. Now to finish the body work. She still seems all over the road and that scares me .I don't know if its the 20 year old tires or if i might have to rebuild the whole front end. I don't want this beast going in a ditch. lol. Bruce.:cool:

2. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

you can go any where with this one from low tire pressure to wore out every thing for, piece of mind i would take to a front end shop that you can trust

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20 year old tires could very well be doing it and in any event, are unsafe. Rubber deteriorates and 20 years is way past their usefulness. Save yourself from an accident and put some new tires on it!

4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

New tires and get the car aligned!

5. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Control arm Bushings , tie rod ends , Tires , and the list grows on , Frontend has to be inspected and aligned . Gotta keep us all safe out there

6. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Well you know your going to have to replace the tires so start there and see how everything else feels...

7. diamond dave

diamond dave

yeah. tires definitely. ive seen some pretty new looking, old tires come apart and cause lots of damage to vehicles. I was just happy that nobody was seriously injured.

8. Oh i agree with you all about the tires it was just a short trip down the back road for a test drive, but , i will start with the tires and go on from there.Thanks for all the input guys .Bruce.

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The luck I have had with thermostats I wont put one in without checking it first.

10. Salt flats. I tested the 1 st one in a pot of boiling water after taking it out of the buick the 1st time and it didn't open till 195 degrees in the pot. When I put it back in I wasn't sure it was opening. The one I found in my buick parts opened at 185 degrees in the boiling pot of water and installed that one .It must of opened because I see the water moving pretty good now. Thanks Bruce.

11. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Thermostats? Who really needs them anyway?

12. flopalotofit

flopalotofit

OL school trick was to drill a small hole in the thermostat...makes them so much easier to fill without all the boilover -refill syndrome. the hole lets all the air escape and fill the block completely.

13. I might have to pull it out 1 more time.lol.Thanks Bruce.

14. I will.Thanks Big Foot.Bruce.