Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Dashboard Turn Signal Clamp Light - Origins?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28A, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Hey fellas, just wondering if anyone may know the origins of this clamp style under dash turn signal light. I have one and have no idea where i got it from, or when.. simply that i found it in a box of stuff a few years ago. I really want to use this on my roadster as we are required to run turn signals here.

Also, if anyone has one of these and wants to sell it please post in here or message me!

[​IMG]

2. Is that a switch?....turn for L-R ?

3. Yeah, looks like a switch that clips under the dash. Turn the knob for left or right signal..

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Neat piece. Too bad no one reproduces one of these aftermarket signal devices and the outside lights they often power.
    One of my favorite signals out back is a tube that bolts above the license plate with a cut-out arrow on either side. A socket enters from the rear into each half of the tube behind the arrow. There is a divider int the pipe to prevent lighting both sides at once.
    There were probably hundreds of different swiches and signals made during the days before signals became standard.

5. Oh wow, so this is actually a switch as well? I was under the impression it was simply the light and i'd need another. Thats really neat info!

Edit: It does have an indent above where the bulb goes, and the arrow piece slips on top. So it can only go on one way. It does turn left and right also. Super cool!

6. Andy

Andy

I just Googled three position rotary switch. There are lots out there from $6 or so. I use a three position lever switch to ground relays for my turn signals. I may need to change! Need to find one with a light.

7. So thats what they are called! Man thats super helpful. Gives me a bit of a lead. I wonder if this switch still works? Is there any way to test it?

8. Test it with a simple ohm meter. Its cool as hell, hope it works or you can get it to work if it doesnt.

9. I pulled it apart this afternoon and sprayed some contact cleaner inside it.. although it appeared very clean to begin with. It doesn't click into the three positions as mentioned above, but it spins left right and faces downwards which i'm not sure what thats all about.. I still don't know entirely how its supposed to work.

10. janbuick

janbuick

I have the same thing build in my 38 ford dash
    it is stuck
    I also want to know how it works
    [​IMG]

the inside
    [​IMG]

11. janbuick

janbuick

and this is how the inside looks
    some sort of resistor

[​IMG]

12. Thats exactly what mine looks like inside. If you aren't using it.. i would absolutely love to give you a few bucks for it? Was hoping that i could use mine for a dash light instead of those little green lights everyone uses. If i had a second that'd be possible.

Edit: I have a feeling our Hot Rodding authority here wouldn't let me use a twist knob to make the indicators work.. probably will end up using a foxton unit that i have.

13. janbuick

janbuick

I am sorry but I use it myself

still want to know where it was made for
    it looks like the dashlight dimmer in a light switch

jan

14. lostmind

lostmind

I think the arrow is to show you the position the switch is in.
    It's a variable resistor switch , possibly for heater motor or dash light dimming.
    It only has two connections , so it can't be used for turn signal, you would need three connections.
    I believe it's an aftermarket accessory switch , not factory.

15. If it were mine, I would modify it to become a turn signal switch.

16. Thats what i'm thinking of doing.. if i can somehow fit a 3 position switch (like a left, right and up / down being off) it'd make an awesome turn signal switch. Would be even cooler if i could make the light flash with a flasher unit at the same time.