Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Mercury project...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by redranch, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jfrolka

jfrolka

I really like em chopped heavily, a nose job, lose the front over riders, leave it at the stock height.

Still cool cars regardless. Post some updates when shes more together and lookin like a merc again.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

I need to get started on my chopped 51.

3. Here are a few more photos Rudy sent me last night, the floor section under the rear seat is starting to come together nicely.
    To think it looked pretty solid when I bought the car but as usual it had been bodged together with tin plates screwed over the rust holes and the a liberal coating of fiberglass and black paint, so it wasn't as solid as I'd been told when I bought the car. It wasn't until I started to pull the car apart did I discover the true horror that was underneath...anyway, fast forward a few years and we now have a rear floor again.
    Looking forward to seeing the car in about 5 weeks and will post new photos of the progress.

Attached Files:

4. I dropped by Rudy's shop yesterday and had a look at the Mercury. It's coming together nicely. Still lots to do, but its moving in the right direction.

Attached Files:

5. pbajeff

pbajeff
    from 79065

Wow, that is going to be a great car. Cant wait to see it finished.

I love that body style of Mercs.

6. More photos of the Mercury...Rudy Rodriguez from Fullerton Fabrication has been busy recently and the body isn't as flexible as it was...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  7. ...and a few more

Attached Files:

8. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Wow, that is looking great!

9. Nice. Might as well chop it at this point. :)

10. Thanks for the comments...hopefully by the time I'm back in California in April, the car will have moved along a little further.
    We want to have a solid car before the thought of any chopping is done, I've owned the car for over 7 years now so waiting a little longer is okay with me. Plus I have to find more money to give to Rudy for the next stage of the project.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  11. chaw5634

chaw5634

Looking good

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Hey Redranch, will be following along with this thread as I just purchased a 1950 Merc moredoor two days ago. I moved from London to Canada 2 1/2 years ago. Did your old Black Merc used to get up the Elephant's Head Pub in Camden Town years back, it looks familiar?

13. I just want to say my first wife is from Muswell Hill and I played some gigs in London back in the day. :)

14. low51fan

low51fan

I enjoy following your thread many of the areas you are repairing need to be done on my 51. It has helped me a lot.

15. Cool John, I remember the Alley Pally (Alexander Palace) at Muswell Hill being the first big British Custom Car Show I went to back in the mid 70's. Around that time at one of those shows a More Door 49/50 Merc was painted Maroon with gold scallops for Custom Car Magazine. One of my old mates, Al Bop then owned it for a number of years after when it was painted black.

16. Good thread.
    Love all the detailed body repair pics.
    Keep posting them.

17. 51Cliff, I lived in Greenwich when I owned the black 50 Mercury...in fact a few door away from Jules Holland, he'd offten have a few classic and custom cars outside his place and would always chat about cars.
    I took it to a few shows, but it also broke down going to other shows...I can't remember now if I ever took it to Camden...but that Merc might have belonged to a friend of mine who still has his Merc...Mick Micetich (his son Dean owns and runs the magazine 'Dice' and has a band called 'The Black Tibetans')...I've attached a photo I took of him and his black Merc a couple of years ago.

My black Merc was sold to a guy in Belgium who chopped it as soon as got it back home. Good luck with you 50 Mercury, is it a project or running and driving car...love to see some photos when you get a chance.

Low51fan, if you need any specific areas photographed or more detail photos, send me a pm and I'll be happy to send you photos. I can get Rudy to take a few more, or I can do it in April when I see the car next.

Lifestylz, glad you like the photos so far, I'm trying to post as much as I can, which isn't always that easy when the car is so far away, but the car is in good hands with Rudy Rodriguez. I've also posted a couple of photos of the 40 Mercury that Rudy created a few years ago.

Attached Files:

18. navyboy

navyboy

thanks for the pics.

19. You are right, the old brain is getting a bit fuzzy, it was Mick's car and I know Dean. I guess what threw me was they both have the original grill which I like for that year. May even source one for my Monarch which has the original grill but looks more like a '49 Cadillac grill. I will try and post some pics of mine when I fly home from work in a couple of weeks. My car needs a total ground up build which is how I like to buy them. I was inspired by the "Chuck Teixeira" 4 door Merc article on the Salt Flats. His car has a great side profile.

20. Must be quite a sight seeing a Merc wending its way down Kentish Town Road.

You guys ever eat at that Burger place, the owner used to park a Checker Marathon cab out front?

21. 51Cliff, I'm seeing Mick this weekend when I'm back in the UK again...I look forward to seeing the project Merc. I like the 'Chuck Teixeira' 4 door, I have a photo of another 4 door in black that I like...I'll try and post a photo of it soon.

Pro Stock John, I didn't know about the burger place in Kentish Town....but it was fun driving that car and many other I used to own around London...squeezing in between the width restriction poles on some streets. But now with so many speed bumps and cameras over there it's not as much fun...

22. chaw5634

chaw5634

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394920180.547228.jpg

23. chaw5634

chaw5634

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394920210.766692.jpg

24. chaw5634

chaw5634

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394920251.763335.jpg

25. chaw5634

chaw5634

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394920315.620105.jpg

26. chaw5634

chaw5634

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394920358.552918.jpg

27. chaw5634

chaw5634

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1394920404.147846.jpg

28. chaw5634

chaw5634

Not in any specific order. Just some updated pics where I'm up too. It won't be to everyone's liking, but it's mine, it's custom and I love it.

29. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Cool... I like the Desoto grille with the orange bullet turn signals.
    I'm assuming the law requires the orange signals in the rear?

30. chaw5634

chaw5634

Thanks, yes we need yellow/amber turn signals