Register now to get rid of these ads!

hemi distributor interchange ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Searched through the hemi tech, but didn't see it.

Will a early Chrysler 331 distributor fit a Desoto 330? Are the shafts the same length?

2. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

They are not the same length.

3. 241 redram and a 318 interchange, IIRC.

4. Thanks! Appreciate the help.

5. 73RR

73RR

Although the shafts are not the exact same length, the distributors do interchange...

6. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

What would be good distributor to use on a mild, street rebuild of a1957 392? No distributor came with the engine when I bought it. Thanks!

7. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I had several GM hei's a friend made for me, basically he cut the shaft down and notched the end to fit the oil pump drive. these were made for 331 Chrysler hemi's but could work for other old Mopars

8. George

George

There are aftermarket dizzys that will fit the 392. Or you can use a longer Int. shaft & use an LA one, wide choice there.

9. 73RR

73RR

IMHO, There are few distributors, if any, that are actually better than the Mopar electronic.
    Considering that the basic parts have been around since 1970 you will never be stuck somewhere if a part fails.
    Yes, a longer intermediate shaft is required or the dizzy shaft needs to be stretched.

10. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Please, talk to me like a 3 year old... I currently do not have a distributor for the engine... and nothing to compare one to... or shafts or bodies to shorten or lengthen. What should I look for / purchase?

11. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

As I understand it, you have a 330 Desoto. go on the internet and find a Desoto club near you and ask to borrow a 330 dist. that would give you a point to start from. Then go to a swap meet or junk yard and get a GM hei for a 350/454 thats the one with the big cap $5 lay them on a table in front of you, the light bulb above your head will turn on shortly after. All though they are not traditional, they work well and could get you moving untill you find one that is.

12. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

You sir are right. 73RR, Can you also make a SBC fit with an adapter?

13. 73RR

73RR

No doubt someone can but there are no shiverlay parts in my shop sooooo... Connect with TR Waters or GMC Bubba

14. Just call Hot Heads and be done with it. No guesswork or re-engineering.

15. Andy

Andy

I bought a shaft extension kit from Hot Heads and was not impressed. I got a piece of tubing and two roll pins. The instructions said to cut the shaft and pin it back together as required. No lengths given.

16. Then bob gets all the money and he takes all the fun out of it. :)