Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59A crankcase ventilation

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AeroCraftsman, Feb 18, 2014.

1. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

I also located one this weekend while thinking about you post. The inside of the tubes have spiral type baffles - very interesting.

2. Mart

Mart

There is also a smaller diameter tube that should be fitted to the fuel pump stand. I'm not sure it would make any difference, but it must be there for a reason.
    Edit: I can see it in the first pic, but it might be longer when the bigger tube is longer.

Some good interesting points made in this thread. Glad you have pinpointed the leak, at least you know where to concentrate your efforts.

Mart.

3. This is what I have installed on my flathead V12 a down draft tube for ventilation and it is working well.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

4. Andy

Andy

I put a PCV on my 59 A. I have had no issues with it. The engine runs fine and no oil drips or fumes. I put a freeze plug in the standing tube in the valley so no leaks there. I ran a line from the PCV from a drilled hole in the intake to another below the carb. It is a SBC valve cover valve. I put a small engine paper filter on the breather so no junk can get in. You can see the PVC next to the coil.

Attached Files:

5. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drain the oil before dropping the pan.
    Seems obvious in retrospect.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kyvetteman likes this.
  6. Mart

Mart

^^^

LOL

Is that a "Don't ask me how I know this" moment??

Mart.

7. wingedfez

wingedfez

Hello

I am facing the same troubles.. loosing Oil it runs down like hell, after Highway. I have also the Navarro Intake with just the breather in back, but there i loose oil like hell, runs down in my clutch and the rest you can imagine... :). I like the solution from Frenchy. Where you got this thing from?

8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Hey guys I am not real good at posting stuff here and it is too late at night for to learn how. If you would be interested in the modifications I made to my 59L flathead PM me and I will send you a word document I made tonight with pictures and text.

Attached Files:

Ric Dean likes this.
  9. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

That is a crankcase breather off a Y block I put them on my flatheads they work great
    Colin

10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I hesitate to present this stuff but here goes anyway. I have not run this engine yet so I cannot say if or how well it will work. The plan is to convert the old flathead from the old air passing by the oil pan suction system to the more modern PCV system I am accustomed to.

I hope that the engine will create enough vacuum at idle and at cruising speed to handle the oil vapors the engine will create. I realize putting this out there will open me up to criticism and probably some questions that I cannot answer at this time. I am just a rank amateur engine builder that did some reading and asked some questions and came up with this plan.

The engine is a 59L with 8BA crank, rods and insert bearings. The Intake is Speedways 910-15962 manifold with a Holley 390 cfm 4 barrel (425-8007). Oh yes that is an 8BA style distributor on there which required an *BA style cam and I had to use the truck style water pumps to clear it.

Sam Profit The 39 Guy

IMG_2981.JPG I made an aluminum body fit plug for lifter galley tube. My thinking was that leaving the tube in would prevent oil from leaking down through the block to the oil pan.
    IMG_2981.JPG IMG_2976.JPG
    IMG_2888.JPG I also plugged the vent in the oil pan by welding this steel plate in the hole. I thought this might prevent dirt and moisture from getting up into the block.
    IMG_2995.JPG The breather was installed in adapter I made. Most of the machining was done with a saws all and a file but the center hole was machined on my old lathe.
    IMG_2996.JPG The PCV valve was installed in another home made at the front of the manifold. This should suck the vapors out of the lifter galley.
    IMG_2997.JPG The vacuum source for the PCV valve is located under the carburetor in a provided threaded boss in the adapter plate.
    IMG_2994.JPG This is the finished assembly. Like I said at the beginning this engine has not been run yet so I don't know how well this system will work . If all goes well I will set it in the chassis and do some test runs by this fall. I will post again on this thread once I have run it.

FlatJan likes this.
  11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

My flathead (as shown in post 40) has been run and so far the PCV system is working fine. When I pulled the oil breather cap off with the engine running I could see the vapors rise from the crank case and flow forward to the PCV valve. It will likely be two or three months before it gets road tested.

12. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I finally tore back into mine to see if I can get it dried out.
    Pulled the pulley and it seemed loose on the crank, so I went after another pulley.
    After getting the best of the bunch, I put the side by side for comparison.
    It's pretty clear that pulley #1 is worn, all the way below the spiral grooves. I'm hoping pulley #2 will seal up like its supposed to.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433288476.631621.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433288551.218222.jpg

13. FlatJan

FlatJan

@39: hey i am going the exact same way as you do.
    i have 8BA diz with truck pumps on my french block.
    my 59a pan got the vent welded shut too and want to use an internal pcv-valve.
    Why did you plug the lifter galley tube?
    i have seen pics where the pcv-valve was in a tube leading from the underside of the intake to the lifter galley tube you plugged. that wrong?

14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I don't think plugging the lifter gallery tube is really necessary since the oil pan outlet was plugged. I initially chose to block the lifter gallery tube then decided to plug the pan hole just to keep moisture and grit from getting in there.
    I see no problem with drawing vacuum from the intake either. I am running a different manifold than most. I had an extra hole to fill and decided to use a conventional valve cover type PCV valve. I hope to be driving my car around in a couple of weeks and I will post the results of those test drives with this system. Best of luck with your PCV install. Please let us know how it works out.

FlatJan likes this.
  15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I am very late on this follow up (5 years). Flat Jan gave this post a like today so I thought I should do the follow up. My PCV system works fine as built.

16. good info, i,m subscribed