Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Chevy build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky-13, Sep 11, 2013.

1. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

That's odd loaded the page 5 times it worked 4... well ill upload them later again

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Great build!!!
    What did u use for the front end?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  3. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Thanks its just a superbell 6 inch drop kit from speedway

4. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, they all just show a gray box that says, "Sorry, the person who uploaded this photo has moved or deleted it."

Very strange. :confused:

Love the color though. :D

5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Ya the color is one shade darker then the original there was still glossy original paint under the window frame :eek:

7. indyjps

indyjps

Interesting on the wrinkle paint, when I saw the pics I was thinking bedliner.

8. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

How or what determined a 46 or 48" wide? Which would
    you recommend for my 3/4 ton frame (seems a little taller in C sect)
    looking to do a similar front. Steering box?
    How do you like the handling?

9. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

The way i did it (i may be wrong) was to measure out and stand up some old tires and just eye ball it. The 46 inch leads to 54.5 wide hub to hub. I would just do the same see what you like. for the steering it is a vega box, dont skimp on it bite the bullet and buy a good one flaming river has got a lot of good reviews, i have cheapo box and it always needing adjustment. And the handling is really nice, but dont forget the front pan-hard bar helps a ton keeping the axle walking side to side.

10. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

sorry 54 1/4 track width for the 46 axle and 56 1/4 for 48

11. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

The way i did it (i may be wrong) was to measure out and stand up some old tires and just eye ball it. The 46 inch leads to 54.5 wide hub to hub. I would just do the same see what you like. for the steering it is a vega box, dont skimp on it bite the bullet and buy a good one flaming river has got a lot of good reviews, i have cheapo box and it always needing adjustment. And the handling is really nice, but dont forget the front pan-hard bar helps a ton keeping the axle walking side to side.

12. jegbflat

jegbflat

Lucky-13....here's a pic of my brown "wrinkle" dash. Anything close to what the Eastwood paint can do?

Thanks again, Jerry

P4100244.jpg

13. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

I just checked my Speedway catalog and could not find a 46", 6" drop with drilled holes??
    It looks like you welded in the 33-34 Ford cross member?
    Are you using ford or chevy spindles?
    It all looks sweet.

14. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

I drilled the holes myself and I just realized its a 4 inch drop, and yes that is 34 crossmember also its ford spindles

15. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

jegbflat
    i just looked again at your pic and i think the east wood is pretty close, but just a heads up its easier to paint the whole piece my dash took 3 cans then just try to fix a portion

16. jegbflat

jegbflat

Thanks - after the gauge mod's my dash is now half brown wrinkle and half smooth primer. so I'll definitely have to paint it all at once. I'll test it on some scrap metal first and see how it looks.

17. 1 Hotrod

1 Hotrod
    from Wisconsin

Looks good, how much did you take out of the top? How long is the box? One last question what is meant by low cab?

18. jegbflat

jegbflat

@ 1Hotrod... quote from another site "Midway through the 1936 model year, the cabs on Chevrolet trucks underwent a design change. Trucks produced during the first half of the model year were built with a square cab design popular in truck lines for over a decade. At mid-year, Chevrolet began building a more rounded cab body reflective of automotive styling trends in the mid-30s, along with the styling of many competitors trucks. The more squared cabs became known as "high cabs" while the more rounded cabs were known as "low cabs." Jerry

19. 1 Hotrod

1 Hotrod
    from Wisconsin

20. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

@ 1hotrod
    measurements of the bed are as follows
    49" long by 45" wide
    19-3/4" tall from the bottom to the bend
    from the bend to the pipe is 4-1/4"
    the pipe is 1-1/4" galvanized fence post that i washed off the galvanization
    the bend is 30 degrees (stock is 28)
    the bed is made of 4 pieces the two sides, a front that is close to the tailgate but only 1 piece of pipe and a role pan that is u shaped that raps around the back of the frame.

Also on the chop I took about 2 inch out of the back then 2 and strong 1/4 inches out of the front

21. wisebri24

wisebri24

Thanks for sharing the pics! Nice.
    Do you have any 6 banger engine stuff?
    I am looking for a 1936 cylinder head.
    Casting 837981
    P/N 601988

Thx. Joe

22. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

No I dont have any of oem motor or trans stuff. It was long gone when I bought the frame and cab .

23. jegbflat

jegbflat

Hi, on September 20 you posted a photo taken from outside front/passenger quarter looking at the windshield frame opening with a little of the dash support piece showing. I'm at the point of reassembling the dash and support now but been too long since I disassembled. And didn't take a photo of that area :-(. I can't remember if the dash "lip" comes down over the wood support far enough to actually meet and butt to the lower windshield frame lip or if it overhangs? Either way, when it's assembled, does any of the wood dash support show between the dash lip and lower windshield frame opening lip?

Sorry if I'm not explaingin well. Is there any way you could post or PM me a photo taken from over the engine looking back toward the windshield opening (with windshield open) that would show where the dash and cab meet (where the 6 screws secure the dash support)?

I'd attach a photo but can't seem to figure that out too. When I select "insert image", it only gives me choice of a weblink?

If anyone else sees this post, has a '36 low cab pickup and would share a picture of this particular area, I'd really appreciate it. Right now, my dash doesn't want to settle down onto the support far enough (I don't think!) and I'm wondering if it's because the corners are buggered up a bit.

Thanks much to all,

JGiles
    La Conner, WA

24. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

not able to get a pic right now but from what i know from memory the support does have 6 screws and the dash just hooks over that there is only 4 bolt in the dash two on the edge of each sides. shoot me an email of the pics if you cant get them to post here
    coryvierra@ gmail .com no spaces in that

25. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Got one side of the exhaust fitted and about to start the other side. Has anyone used any good heatshield either stick-on or something to wrap around the exhaust?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Do some searches on heat wrap. Alot of horror stories out there....

27. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

Really nice build! I sure could use those old frame horn spring hangers. Keeping the leaf springs on mine. Shoot me a message if you want to part with them.

28. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Thank you Michael I do have them somewhere give me a bit ill see if I can find them.

I should have clarified im not looking for like header wrap I need something for radiant heat from getting into the cab and my fuel lines.

29. jegbflat

jegbflat

Finally returning to my '36 project and continue to get inspiration from your work. Re: battery - 1) is your battery box "off-the-shelf" or did you build it? 2) where is it in relation to cab? and 3) if under the cab did you cut access to it? I'm debating whether to mount behind cab inside frame rail under bed or under the cab and cut access hole inside seat frame. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks again,

Jerry

30. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

Its under the cab on the passenger side I built it and its attached to frame rail. Speedway sells a couple that are really similar that bolt on. I didnt cut a hole because the battery slides in from the side and the terminals are on the side. I used a angular strap out of an old jag that pulls the battery into the mount. What you can do if you want to be able to jump the car is install remote terminals anywhere you want.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014