Register now to get rid of these ads!

'32 Ford bellhousing torque strut??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tinmann, Sep 20, 2012.

1. tinmann

tinmann

I don't think I've ever seen the original torque strut rods that run from the bellhousing to the K member. I have several original '33/'34 ones that I was holding in place tonight but I can't for the life of me see how something even similar would attach to the stock '32 K member. Or perhaps deuces didn't have any???? I know, I know..... I'm not restoring the damn car, right? But if it works and it looks right, they should be there....

Any help or pics appreciated.

2. Chatter/ or Anti chatter rods is the name your looking for.
    There are V8 and 4cyl types.

3. tinmann

tinmann

Ah, the power of the HAMB!! Thank you, Human Fly. With the correct words to search with, I found what I needed. Thank you.

4. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

you'll need those, especially for reverse. But remember, '32 is a one year only and the v8 & 4 cyl are different.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

You need to post the link you found, so we can get educated. Bob :)

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

What is the difference between the v8 and 4cyl steady rods....

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Unless you are building a period correct piece that must have correct parts, anti chatter rods are pretty easy to fabricate. I made some for my Stude powered 34 P/U.

8. walker35

walker35
    from London

Can you please tell us what is the difference between v8 & 4 cyl?

Thanks in advance.

9. Andy

Andy

The 4cyl ones have a longer threaded part on the engine end. They can be shortened for V8 apps.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Unlike '33-'41, they bolt to K member by a flat flange. You will see 2 pairs of holes on each side of K, one set for B, one for 8.
    Make a simple flat piece that bolts on there and add a central hole. Slide a piece of rod through the center hole (you could do the entire hob in all-thread, but people would point and laugh) into engine hole, thread engine end and weld on a washer as flange. Use engine to position the rods then weld to the frame end brackets.
    Leave a bit of slop at front, let mounts settle after a short run of engine, then use .030 and .060 AN washers (closel equivalent to what Ford used to adjust these!) to exactly space the front with no slop and no tension at rest. If they will let your car in, you can complete the job right in the hardware aisle at Home Depot.

11. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

12. Attached is an illustration for Bruces post. If you are not concerned about how they look threaded stock and a few nuts and metal plates work great.

Charlie Stephens

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  13. tinmann

tinmann

I'm on it lads. Plasma cut the plates at work today. When I got home I held the '33/34 rods kinda sorta in place to see how I'd modify them to work....... yeah.... that ain't gonna work. They're way too short. So next week, I'll chuck some round stock up and machine a new pair to go with my plates. The real bugger of all this is that I'm running '39 pedals and the mount is right in the way of the driver's side rod getting to its intended mount on the K member. A bit of a head scratcher, but we'll see what can be done. Film at 11:00.

14. Deuce-Merchant

Deuce-Merchant
    from BC Canada

We need to talk more, I have a few sets of these, and you know the deal, they are yours.