Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So I was tired of the red wheels...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racer29, Feb 23, 2014.

1. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

xx 2

2. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

How about black with gold wheels like on my 40

[​IMG]

3. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Rad.

4. raven

raven

Lower it and ditch the side pipes.
    r

5. Thanks for all the comments and of course I don't expect everybody to like it or dislike it. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. I do agree black with red wheels screams traditional hot rod. However I was just tired of it on my particular hot rod. I also agree it is a bit drab compared to before but I just needed to do something but wasn't redoing the whole car and I really don't want just one thing to pop out when you're looking at it. The body is pretty rough on my sedan and I really don't want to do all the work required in order to lay some glossy paint down on it. We have two other cars that are still sporting red wheels with wide white wall tires and I very much love it. Oh yes and it is getting bias tires later on this summer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Personally I still like red wheels. But...back in the day...we ran white or off-white wheels. Also I have a friend with a '29 sedan satin black with sea foam green wheels. It is way different and looks cool. Sorry, no pic.

7. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

I gotta say I like the red wheels better too

8. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Black on black can look pretty good if the body is real straight and the paint real shiney, but not with chrome sidepipes.

I would think that white/cream wheels would lift the look a lot, but thats just my opinions and I figure you should do what you want and ignore us in the peanut gallery.

9. ratwasp

ratwasp

I'm with Hotrodmyk...Sea Foam Green!

10. Color is subjective,I like red wheels,I like cream wheels and green wheels..I must that's the colors that I have used..I'm just not a black wheel guy although it seems to be extremely popular today. HRP

11. kirby1374

kirby1374

The black wheels with that car seems to need chrome caps. Dog dish, moons something.

12. b-bob

b-bob

Ford's Wimbledon White is a good off-white color.

13. hallrods

hallrods

That's what I was thinking also

14. slammed

slammed

Chrome reverse, narrow white walls. The before looked like 70's street rodder style. Fresh (dark) black semi/60% sheen paint would revive it considerably as well.

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

They looked pretty good red with the baby moons.

If you stay with black then some WW's would brighten things up.

16. hermit ridge salvage

hermit ridge salvage
    from oklahoma

If you want black wheels..do this.

Attached Files:

17. I like the red wheels, and I've got black wheels on mine, but I'm going back to red on the wheels and when I can afford it, wide whites.
    I like the white A coupe, I believe that's Paul Sr.'s car built by Austin Speed Shop, very nice.

18. Agreed, nice looking coupe!

19. Hard to see in the pictures but there are chrome lugnuts and centercaps. They really standout in person. The side pipes are going away. Probably just run turnouts on the headers for now. I would like to run exhaust underneath but dont have the room with the big caddy.

20. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

I like what you've done but yeah it could use a little color. Red wheels and flat black paint are so over done it's sickening. It looks great on some cars for sure but it doesn't belong on everything. Even a gloss black paintjob would be ok with a little stripe. Maybe even a correct Ford color for that year with black or the right color wheels. The more narrow wheels were also a good choice. I'm just sick of seeing someone pull a car or truck out from somewhere regardless of year or style and shoot it flat black with red wheels then start flogging the thing like it's a period hot rod or worse... the "R" word.

21. When stuff makes me sick or is sickening to me I stay away from it and ignore it or treat it! Try some Tums and ignore hot rods?..... "R" as in anal Retention?

22. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

LOL! That's exactly what I meant. Ok, not really. I'm glad to see people enjoying their stuff regardless of anyones taste (including mine) but I just don't understand the mentality or choices behind many projects. There's so many people on a limited budget wanting to build an "Anal Retentive Rod" or period hot rod that seem to gravitate towards the flat black paint and red wheel combo. It doesn't just apply to those on a strict budget actually. Perhaps somewhere it was voted the most awesome or period correct combo ever and I missed it? I'm just glad to see him abandon the look and try something different. To each his own and as I mentioned previously.... It looks great on some cars but why it's been done so much is beyond me. I have practiced many times what you've suggested. If I'm at a car show and see a car with flat black paint and red wheels I stay away from it because odds are there's nothing new or interesting to be seen there.

23. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Cool car. I think wide whites would look great. And maybe just tape the side pipes . . .

Attached Files:

24. Your missing more than half the show, these days. All though most of said R cars don't meet the criteria for this message board and most of it's members it does reflect a trend enjoyed by many spectators and "rodders" out there in the real world. Personally none of them piss me off except "donks"( call me a hypocrite). The worst thing any "rodder" can do is look down their nose at another's ride and there's plenty of that out there. Tastes be damned, we're all hot rodders.

25. hermit ridge salvage

hermit ridge salvage
    from oklahoma

Thanks for saying that...needs to be said more.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  26. I would love to do some wide whites but they're just not in the budget for a while. Took the side pipes off yesterday and I'm just running turn outs at the headers. I think it took away a big part of the clutter going on and I like how it looks alot more. I slipped mufflers inside the headers so its not obnoxiously loud.

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've never really liked black wheels on anything. Red is just about as bad, way overdone. I like shiney wheels myself, chrome reverse would look right on that car to me. Or Torque Thrust with at least a polished rim.
    I'm just not a fan of steel wheels without full wheel covers, but that's just me. But you didn't build it for me, so do what pleases you best. If everybody liked the same thing, it would get boring real quick, wouldn't it? :D