Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering stops????? Need help and advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiat gasser, Feb 24, 2014.

1. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

I have finished up the steering in my Fiat Sedan Delivery project but as the wheels make there turn they go a little to far. I would like to come up with some type of stop to minimize the turning radius. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    I'll post some pic's shortly.

2. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

3. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

4. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

5. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Lots of lookers but nobody has stood up to help. Really uncommon for the HAMB. Just looking for an idea, suggestion or pictures of the best way to address the problem with the steering.

6. leadsled56

leadsled56

I will take the bait and make a suggestion. What about a bracket holding a bump stop rubber that can first be clamped around the axle tube and then once fine tuned welded in place? Looks like the spindle arm would make contact if turned far enough.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Thanks laedsled56,
    A bump stop is a good suggestion. I will take a closer look at that.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what kind of steering rack is that? for Mustang stuff there are different length rods available.

9. butch27

butch27

Darn nice work. Can't wait to see it moving.

10. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

It is a Appleton rack and pinion. Bought it from a guy who had it in a 41' Willy's. He replaced it with a power rack setup.

11. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Thanks Butch.

12. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The easiest place to put a steering stop is at the king pin housing and the steering knuckle location, at the front of the kingpin housing on each side. It will be a trial & error process where to build up the stop with a welder and shape it with a grinder. There are little bumps (might be nuts) at about the proper location on your pictures (last one showing the inside of the front), they just look like they are too small. The stop doesn't have to be very robust (just a positive stop), you won't be forcing it when it makes contact. Gene

13. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

14. stimpy

stimpy

I was thinking along the lines of a triangulated gusset with a hole drilled in it and nut welded over the hole on front side of the axle tube just inside the king pin tube and use a bolt with a double nut to adjust the distance you need make it so it hits on the spindle back side

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Move the heim joints to the other holes on the steering arms.

16. Have you thought about dismantling the rack and putting a stop on the rack teeth to effectively shorten the distance the rack can move inside the box?

I figure you could fill a few teeth (how many is up to you) on either side and this would shorten the rack travel.

17. stan65

stan65
    from Toledo, IL

I know it's a lot of work, but moving the rack forward and attachment points on the steering arms forward would reduce travel, make the steering effort easier, and slow down your ratio (less twitchy)

Just my .02
    Stan