Register now to get rid of these ads!

Satin Paint advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thewaxhead, Feb 21, 2014.

1. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Ok..
    I bought a 51 Sedan Delivery late last year from CA.

The paint looked pretty good then but now the clear has faded and the top colour literally comes off on your finger if you touch it.

I work in a bodyshop but don't have the time or space to take it off the road and give it a rebuild just yet, its also in fairly good condition at the moment so the idea was to enjoy it for a while.

I am pretty unfamiliar with flat/satin finishes, as my shop sprays mostly stock COB or metallic colours on restorations here in Aus (Holdens, Valiants, Falcons, Volkswagens) not too much custom stuff.

So my idea is to go for a satin finish (NOT FLAT) for low maintenance and also to hide the imperfections the body has- they are very minor low spots not rust or anything.

Keeping in mind want a paint colour similar to what I have now (metallic blue/ candy blue)

What paint types can you guys recommend?

Satin clears? Tinted primer sealers? flattening agents?
    If you could post pics with what brand you used too that would be great.

Hoping to get colour on it tomorrow for a show on Sunday;)

Attached Files:

• 51.jpg
      51.jpg
      File size:
      82 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

PM "dogpatch" on here, He just painted his sedan delivery that same satin blue.

3. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Will do, thanks mate!

4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Wipe it down with a 50:50 mixture of kerosene and water and prepare to be amazed.

5. There is a company here in Australia (Protech) which sell a pre-mixed satin black, but if you want another colour, you will have to get the flattening base mixed in. Make sure you note down the paint/ flattening base ratio in case you need to have more mixed later on.
    I've used Dupont acrylic with a flattening base, and the finish came up nice, not too flat, but I can,t remember the ratio (see last sentence!).

6. jazz1

jazz1

Spray with a quality base coat and seal with a satin clear.

7. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Spending all that time....just go ahead and paint the thing

8. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Satin clear would be my advice, unless you are changing the color. Mine is a gloss black that NAPA added flattener to it.

9. spaner

spaner
    from australia

get the paint from paintmoble Dandenong 101 Cheltenham rd, phone 03 97948688 . any colour also water proof, undercoat type good stuff they used it on 41 ford coupe fat arse.

10. mike bowling

mike bowling

This is a single stage Ford pick-up blue I got through my local NAPA auto parts store. Added same manufacturer (Martin Seynor) "flat" agent, sprayed it in my garage ,and even MY bodywork looks O.K. to me.It ain't gonna get 100 points at Pebble Beach,but I'm not going anyway( wrong coast) :D That sedan delivery is mucho cool, Good luck with it. Mike from Mass.

Attached Files:

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Jazz1, X2. Base coat with flattener in the clear the best way to go.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I probably had one of the first "satin" paint jobs on my 48 in 1973 and I painted it 72 Monte Carlo Placer gold lacquer and didn't understand that it had to be clear coated and the guy at the paint store didn't bother to tell me that I needed clear for it.

Personally I don't think a satin paint job of any color will hide the flaws in the body and may actually make them show more.

13. I used a tintable urethane primer and added toner to it until I got the shade I wanted-drove it this way for 7 years

Attached Files:

14. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

It will need to go to metal to be perfect. And perfect is what I will get after a few years of enjoying this car the way it is... I will strip it down and do the body work to the best of my ability.

But for now, I am not going to too much trouble and leaving a basic paint job.

I ended up spraying base coat with a custom mix of tinters...turned out pretty good for the meantime!

15. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

Thanks, base coat it was! looks good ill post a pic later on

16. slammed

slammed

Good, you know exactly what you want and how to do it up later. The real answers you needed came through. Post pix of your results.

17. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393392516.423301.jpg

Mixed a few blue tinters together and this is what I got, quite pleased. Will get me through till I'm ready to pull apart the car and do the bodywork perfect and notch the chassis

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!