Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Make a Bellhousing out of an old Intake Manifold!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudpedal, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Ernie, I have that book. You are right, an excellent read.

2. You sir.are a badass

3. roddinron

roddinron

As much as I think our kids need shop class, I have sadly come to the conclusion that maybe shop class doesn't belong in our public schools anymore. There is some dangerous equipment used in a shop that requires serious discipline and that seems to be a pretty rare commodity in schools today.
    I went to high school in the sixtys and took shop and loved it. Even then, there were a bunch of jack offs in the class though, but the shop teacher wasn't afraid to grab one by the neck and throw him against the wall if he caught one doing something stupid, he'd never get away with that today.
    About twelve years ago I bought the casting equipment from my local high school. When I went to pick it up, a class was in session. I ask the teacher why they were selling it, and he said look around. I did, and no one was doing anything but screwing around. He said "You can't have dangerous eguipment like this around kids like this anymore." I knew some of the kids in that class and tried to tell them how lucky they were to have that class and the opportunity to learn to use all that equipment, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.
    I live in a rural area where the kids are actually pretty well behaved compared to many areas of the country, but even here, they aren't the same, they're not bad kids, just undisciplined, and if one gets hurt because of it, the parent will be suing the school. :(

4. bkap

bkap

Maybe some of those issues, roddinron, are because we, as adults haven't provided the correct environment. I, too, had shop classes in the '60s and we had our share of clowns, but there was always supervision. I've been involved with my daughter's high school's garden project recently and, even though there are some kids not paying attention, many still are. It's all about how we bring along those that need the extra care. As a parent volunteer, I don't have a lot of authority but I do stake out my territory now and again to set someone straight. I'm sure out of that shop class, there were a handful capable of transitioning to a more complicated, dangerous class. In large part, it's our fault if we keep dumbing down the lessons we teach.

5. chrisp

chrisp

Even adults do stupid things, not using common sense, at work I see a guy doing dangerous stuff all the time like cleaning a head with brake cleaner in a closed environment while smoking despite the fact that he set his hair on fire once already, he keeps doing it telling me it's a ok, every day he hurts himself fortunatly lightly. Another time a 65 year old mechanic started a car with an automatic and a poorly set safety switch while leaning inside by the window which is a no no, I learned that at school, I almost got killed that day: just got knocked 6 feet away while passing.
    Even if you teach people to be safe, a lot of them don't use common sense and will try to see if they are stronger than the chuck on the lathe or use a water bottle as a gas funnel. Tell them not to do something and they will try to see what happens.

6. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

POUR NAKED and all will be fine :D

7. The kids all sign a safety contract, which their parents also have to sign. They violate procedure and they are out of the class. It's an Advanced Class, and the kids apply to get in, so I do not have a lot of discipline problems. Have I mentioned how much I love my job? I have an administration that gets it at the local and county level.

8. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

how big of a part can you cast? Do you do custom casting? I'm thinking of having a 35 chevy grille trim band duplicated. Any thoughts? Cost? Lead time? Thanks for any input.

9. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Post a pic of what you want cast, this is one of my new parts Eelco bezel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

I did just buy this Hildebrant Bezel off ebay so I will be making these soon also

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

One just sold on evilbay and he got some nice change for it. It's kinda out of my league what they get for these things. I want one for my wife's car but I cant see it happening any time soon.:(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek::D Outstanding thread.Thank you sir.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

13. jesse1980

jesse1980

Damn that's cool !!

14. I used my Gingery charcoal furnace, some scrap and some crummy home brewed green sand to make this water pump for my motorsickle. It uses a Chrysler pump. I cast the pulley, as well.
    The Dave Gingery series of books are great, even if you don't build any of it. He had a "can do" attitude. You don't have to be rich or a genius to build some really nice stuff. You just have to be able to think logically and visualize what the finished product will look like

Attached Files:

15. brenneman

brenneman

tag for awesome info

16. slimpick

slimpick

If you use this as a form - you may need to factor in for shrink. Ie. your part will be smaller.

17. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life
    from AZ

Yeah, this is some amazing stuff to read and see! Very crafty indeed!

18. jazz1

jazz1

DANG! This is the best freakin' tech thread I have ever seen. You guys are having too much fun and no time machines or ghosts required. I had seen a similar threads elsewhere on home casting but this is definitive of "How to cast for dummies" You guys are covering all the bases. Great stuff you are producing. Thanks for the read.

19. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Original has already been made into a pattern, and new parts made same size..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. nali

nali

Aluminium shrinkage is about 1/8 /foot.
    On a small part like this, it s not critiqual .

21. 64Fairlane408

64Fairlane408
    from Katy, Tx

Awesome tech.. Now I want to get after making some parts.

22. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

I am building a furnace now. I need to start making flasks!

23. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Good Post! I had that same "learning curve" years ago as was stated in the OP. Its well worth the effort with a little practice:)

24. bkap

bkap

I'd be interested seeing the book when you get a chance. Thanks.

25. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

upside.. i've pipe clay on my land..

and i'll give a shot at mixing my own oil sand too ..

got the heads on my flatty to copy and improve on.. fingers crossed..

26. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

mine I made with a cement mixer, packed pipe clay as the insulation and a piece of chimney pipe as the in-liner, and a model A torque tube as the in pipe... weighs about 250lbs , making the lid out of a old 70's Buick brake drum .. and since I’m as broke as dirt I’m using homemade charcoal as the fuel and a 12v blower from my 89 f-150 to get air into it .. melts solid aluminum 1in di. bar stock in about 8 minutes if it’s just laid on top

27. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

used the tape to keep the pipe from moving when i packed the clay.

Attached Files:

28. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

so far i'm having a bitch of a time with the right mix of clay and sand.

29. nali

nali

It s probably the most difficult part of the game :)
    This and a correct water mix ...