Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scored a '49 Buick Sedanette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Feb 23, 2014.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought this '49 Buick from an old gentleman in GA. He had bought it and driven it for about 6 years and did nothing to it. He lived on a red clay dirt road and the car was filthy....but I'm really happy with my purchase.

It has just about every accessory that you could put on it. The visor and the spotlight may have been dealer accessories. Can anyone lend any light to that?

It has a 455 Buick engine/TH400 9just rebuilt)/10bolt drivetrain and upgraded brakes. It floats like a boat down the road. The really good thing is the brightwork is in really good shape and the body is solid. There is some rust in the rocker panel where it usually is, right behind each front fender but other than that, it's straight and solid.

The paint is flaking off around the leaded areas. It needs a repaint badly. I bought it for a future project and because I just love these.

The wire wheels have got to go. I'm open to suggestions but it has to be available in 5 on 5 and 15 X 7. I'm thinking Smoothies with bullet hubcaps or moons. Give me some help, here!

I've got to get an exhaust system put on this thing, too. They torched holes through the frame to put in the exhaust. I plant to leave everything pretty much "as is" until I get finished with some other projects. I might strip it and shoot it in black primer............

Attached Files:

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The interior was full of rat shit, etc. and red clay dust. Did I mention red clay dust? I rented a Rug Doctor today and shampooed the carpet and upholstery, hoping to get a fresher smell and not be so filthy. It cleaned up pretty well.....but you'll never get that red clay out of the carpet, plus there are some stains that just didn't want to come out. No worries.

The art deco on this car is just incredible. Every handle, every gauge, every detail. This car epitomizes cool to me.

Attached Files:

3. Perfect...........! Primer?? are you nuts?

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For now. I'm going to do a proper restoration on this car one day but I've got 2 ahead of it. I have to get them back together first.

There is an area that is 6" wide and 18" long on the driver's side c pillar that is down to bare metal and a couple of other ares that have been primered. You can't see the primered spots in these pics but they are there. I figure I will strip it and just shoot black primer on it for now.

This is going to be my retirement project and it will be done really nice one day.

5. Nice looking buick.I hear you about the exhaust I replaced mine on my 56 buick wagon and I cant belive how they ran it thru the frame . Bruce.

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow what a beautiful ride , im jealous enjoy it

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

One word. Nice!

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

leave the paint, leave the wires. put some smaller thin whitewall tires on it. its a great start.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

That's a fine looking automobile...

10. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Great score! Love to see some underhood and undercar shots if you get the time.

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It ain't pretty. The drivetrain swap was done by a country mechanic, it appears. Used an oxy-acetylene to burn through the frame for the exhausts. Stick welded pieces of steel for mounting brackets, etc.

The exhaust system is terrible and it is 2" tubing. The rear axle used shortened suspension arms from the donor vehicle and angle iron. It works. They welded the trailing arm brackets to the frame after they assembled it. I will have to grind the welds away and remove the brackets if I have to replace a bushing.

It's not the way I would have done it but it's worked for quite a while. :)

12. skoh73

skoh73

Wow, what a beauty! Great score. I vote for smoothies.

13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any other wheel suggestions?

14. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Stock wheels with early 50's Buick wheel covers and tall bias ply whitewalls. (7.10-15 + 4" WW)

Then give it a level stance (or slightly lower in the rear)

Ditch the visor too......

my $0.02

15. atomickustom

atomickustom

Full wheel covers! Buy some 15x7 plain wheels, get some nice wide whitewalls, and put some smooth full hubcaps on that sucker and you'll be shocked how nice it will look. Buick hubcaps aren't that expensive, and of course there are the usual Caddy, Olds, and aftermarket choices as well.

16. atomickustom

atomickustom

The main difference between your car and the one in this photo is the wheels (covers) and tires!

Attached Files:

17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, awesome Buick! Maybe a little lower and a set of whitewalls and she´s even more perfect!

18. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great looking Buick! Best to you man~

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice score. Not sure about the primer...if it were mine, I would drive the wheels off of it as is...

20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

Hi Rock, I love your new car! It desperately needs decent wheels but I love the rest, even the interior. Luxurious! :)

23. richie rebel

richie rebel

cool car, wide whites and some nice caps and then,leave it ALONE.............

24. 2manycars2littletime

2manycars2littletime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOVE the sedanette!
    Congrats on your great score!

I'd drive it. Black primer not an improvement IMO.

25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks!

The problem is the paint and primer is coming off along the leaded seams, especially along the C pillar. There is an area that is 6" x 24" that is bare metal on one side and the other side will be the same soon and I don't want it to rust.

Also, there are several spots that have already been primed with black. The photos just didn't show them.

I don't want to spend a lot of time or money on it right now. I was thinking I could use some chemical stripper and shoot primer on it in my driveway. I know I'm not going to pay for a proper paint job any time soon. Got to do my Plymouth first.

26. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm probably going to have wheels just like yours has, Wilf. :)

27. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats, nice

28. desotot

desotot

Nice, they are such a good looking car.

29. EBW

EBW

Glad to see you and Wilf got 49 Sedanettes...

Subscribed..

Mine is in the waiting process also as I finish the Shoebox. ( still collecting parts that are missing.... )

For my 49, I am going Buick wheels with 52 Buick Sombrero Hubcaps with WWW tires.

30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the bad news from the NCDMV Inspector today that I will have to get a bonded title. Buying cars from Ga to NC is a PITA, because Ga doesn't title old cars. There were other complications, but that is the bottom line.