Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy C10 Power Steering Power Assist Ram Info Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Joker, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looking for help finding a source for a company that rebuilds power steering power assist ram cylinders for 60's Chevrolet trucks/cars. Need one resealed or an exchange type service because of leaking. or some place that sells good used ones. very unique set up that does not only use a power steering pump and power steering box - see pics. by doing online search only found one company. I am not too far from Sacramento, CA. OK to send email or private message

Attached Files:

2. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

Seals you should be able to do yourself using a factory shop manual for guidance. The bigger problem with the ram is when the shaft is scored or pitted. If this is the case it will destroy your new seals in a short period of time.
    Sorry, can't suggest any good rebuilders in your area. I'm on the wrong side of the globe! Speak to Mustang restrorers, they used a similar setup through 1970.

3. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Straight line steering...San Jose .
    Talk to the owner, his name is Mark.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for info - the ram is leaking from end that bolts to steering linkage, not from ram end or hoses.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Straight Line Steering has a rebuilt ram that I need in stock for $198. will ship mine to them first to save the $100 core charge.

6. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Dunno specific names, but I have rebuild the "control" end before, with the arm and hoses, put some new seals in. Still going after about 25 years.

If your actual ram isnt leaking, you might try rebuilding the controls. The kit is pretty cheap, but there is an adjusting nut under the cap, where all the lines tie in, you have to get this adjusted correctly, or else your steering will turn on its own. Its basically a valve, for the pressure.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

any ideas where to look for a kit to reseal, etc? while driving there is fluid spraying out, from best I can tell. does not show leaking when running engine sitting in shop on/off floor jack turning wheel in both full turns.

Attached Files:

8. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Jj...
    Do yourself a big favor..this advice from personal experience. ...
    Buy the rebuilt control valve and ram hoses from mark @ straight line. ...he is the best ..and he backs everything...
    I struggled with one of these units for an early nova...
    Never did get it correct..
    After the car went home to colton (LA area) I called and talked to mark...he knew exactly where I went wrong..
    Great guy..great service...
    Dave

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker