Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jag Front End Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andy45422, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Andy45422

Andy45422

I have a 1941 Chevy Coupe and wanting to put a 1984 Jag front end underneath (already purchased). Has anyone had experience with Jag front ends? My main question is does the crossmember sit flat on the rails or does it need to be shimmed?
    Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking and thanks for your time.

2. Post your question in the Jag social group...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=855
    Many members there that have used Jag suspensions, maybe someone will have some samples to match your Chevy. Post some pics of yours.

I'm not familiar with a 41 Chevy front frame rails, it would depend on how the Jag matches up... Some hard weld it in, some create mounts that use the original Jag rubber mounts.

On my Caddy, we cut out the bottom portion of the original cross member, cut off the Jag rubber mounts brackets on the front suspension, then raised the Jag IRS up into the frame rails and made plates to weld it in.

3. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Sits flat. Jag springs way to heavy. Have to build upper shock mounts. Jag hubs have to be machined to use chevy 4 3/4 - 5 wheels as center in Jag is larger.
    Works fine with those minor changes. Friend Just finished install in a 39 Buick.

4. scott51

scott51

I'm sure you'll find the answer and way more over at the group, but to retain proper geometry the jag cross member should be set up level front to back and side to side at ride height.

Shimming or notching depends on what's required to get the front end and your ride sitting in the right place. Good thing is these fronts have quite a bit of adjustment built into them so there's a bit of room to play.

5. Andy45422

Andy45422

Thanks a lot guys. I am still learning how to get around the site. I appreciate the info.

6. luckystiff

luckystiff

yep you set the crossmember level front/rear as the jag unit has like 5 degrees of caster built into it. unless you plan on having a heavy rake then you may want to figure notching or shiming the crossmember to the frame...

7. Same frame design as 49-54 Chevy cars. From what I've seen to make it work you need to fab a couple of wedges out of plate steel to get the Jag to sit right, but it's possible to make it bolt on the same as the stock front end did.