Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project '47 Nash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bpg_austin, Apr 17, 2013.

1. v8spence

v8spence

2. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Love that sound Spence.
    I *think* the waterpump runs on a brass bushing with a rope seal around the end. Pretty simple IRRC. Your rope seal probably just dried up or deteriorated. Not too difficult to pull it off and give it a look.

3. cw1949

cw1949

Wow, nice progress. Sure wish I could get as motivated as you! This -20 below with -65 below windchill is making me think pretty hard about moving back! Cant wait to see a painted engine.

4. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Here's our color match (after a bit of research). Tractor supply sells Majic Brand enamel farm implement paint. Their gray is about as close as we expect to find for our block. $4 for a can so this job isn't going to break the bank.
    this weekend maybe? When the weather warms up a bit in central Texas.
    Corey, come on down man. :)

Attached Files:

5. gmpenn

gmpenn

Thanks I have an album here on the H.A.M.B. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=42162

6. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

gmpenn, your 600 is simply stunning. I hope you stick around and offer up some help as this group continues to work on our projects. Your car looks like the perfect reference point for us as we assemble/disassemble.

Question #1) :) Looks like you have an oil filter installed. Very similar to a factory unit I had on an old 356 with the canister insert. Would you shed some light on this for me? A picture or two taken from the drivers side would be really valuable to at least Spence and I, who would like to install one.

Ben

7. gmpenn

gmpenn

Thanks I can't take credit for the restoration I will help with some pics I have a list of sites for parts I will post you can try American parts depot , Blazer and Kanter to start
    Gary
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. gmpenn

gmpenn

I created an album with some pictures of the oil pump and lines just check my albums

9. gmpenn

gmpenn

10. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Great links, thank you.
    Oil filter setup looks very simple. A quick search on e-bay shows lots of 'generic' oil canisters that would be period correct. Also, simple pressure line from the #1 oil galley plug to the canister. Makes sense, and a great addition for the cars that did not have one from the factory.

11. For free....
    I have a few old, but nos oilfilter from the early 50's. If U need it U can take it. If it's interesting I send U some pics.

For sale.....
    I think I have a nos steward warner speedometer wire. It doesn't fit my nash, It has a th350 tranny.
    And I have a fresh trunk floor.

12. gmpenn

gmpenn

13. v8spence

v8spence

ok, I need some help guys.....
    1) I just rebuilt the carb and now she is reluctant to start, fuel and spark ok... the only thing I have done now is made an exhaust system for it.
    The choke mechanism is not connected so that probably wont help.
    2) When she is running she vibrates really bad and if you look at the bottom pulley it looks out of true, this could be the reason? is it a balancer with rubber in it?
    3) I want to repair the steering wheel but I cant get it off, the horn wire is stopping it coming off. is there a trick?
    4) is there a voltage regulator for the gauges as I have removed the loom and couldn't find one.

that will do for now.
    ;)
    Cheers,
    spence

14. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Spence, I'm not in front of my 600 now but do have the steering wheel with me. The wire runs down the center of the column, though the firewall and comes out by the steering box. You'll have to follow it up to the junction panel on the engine side firewall. Just disconnect it and pull it through. Yep, weird. I'll have to take a look at my flywheel to see if it has any rubber in it.

Off the top of my head.. if you have fuel and spark, and haven't changed your timing then I"d wager your mixture screws are way out. You've got way too much or too little gas. I'd try and look up factory settings for a baseline. I'm sure the carb was used on a wide variety of cars. There should be baseline mixture settings somewhere.

15. v8spence

v8spence

ok, having a mega long weekend this weekend on the Nash so hope to get more of the wiring done, carb sorted, paint on the dash (i know, I work backwards) but what I need right now is....
    A wiring diagram for the Nash, anyone have one they can scan and send to me please?

16. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Here's one we pulled from a 46. I think gmpenn posted one in his galleries as well. Hopt this helps spence!

Attached Files:

17. v8spence

v8spence

great cheers, just ordered some 30Amp cable for the lights and charging circuit.
    Also, found a company in the UK that sells a regulator box you connect to a 6V dynamo to give you 12V charging at 22Amps. that may be a good option.
    Only £49 too so cheaper than getting the dynamo off and rewound.
    just waiting to see if I can use it or if I have to stay at 6V.
    cabling designed for 6V anyway so 12V is a breeze.

18. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Progress!
    Finally got our block painted last night. Needs another coat or two, but looking great. Moving along to assembly next week. This is the Tractor Supply farm implement paint I talked about earlier. Good, thick stuff that takes forever to dry. Hopefully pretty close to what it would have been originally. Close enough for us anyhow.
    Something interesting we noticed. The casting date on the block is '47 while the head is '49. Mm.. Something happened to the original head in the distant past and she received a new one. Too bad we'll never know.

And, a few other misc pics because they're fun. The pop can is a powdercoat fine bronze metallic. We'll be using it for our steering column, heater box assmembly, metal window trim and other interior accent pieces. We've decided on a white dash, but haven't nailed down the hue yet.
    And, some other bits like our oil pan still need to be cleaned, prepped and refinished. Lots done, lots to do still. But, getting the block in paint feels good.
    Ben

Attached Files:

19. v8spence

v8spence

Looking good!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. gmpenn

gmpenn

21. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Very cool Nash when I think nash I think of the little tiny cars not something like this its cool don't see any in my area I like the front end on it looks real cool

22. gmpenn

gmpenn

Thanks most people don't even know there was as Nash car I usually get who makes it

Sent from my KFTT using H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. gmpenn

gmpenn

I have been trying to upload a few docs hop it works
    Nash tuneup.jpg

nash specs.jpg

24. v8spence

v8spence

A few pictures of mine. I am stripping it down to the metal where I can. So far 100% solid in the panels. 1393183085836.jpg 1393183107272.jpg 1393183121505.jpg 1393183157550.jpg 1393183190561.jpg

25. gmpenn

gmpenn

Here is a Nash engine with the original paint I found on the Nash website

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  26. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Spence, your car is starting to look like ours! haha. Great work man. Gmpenn, no picture was attached with your above post on the engine. I'd love to see it.
    Its too late to go back, I hope the picture is of a gray engine. :)

27. v8spence

v8spence

Cheers. :) any clues where I can get a windshield rubber from as mine is really bad and if I am painting the dash it would be nice not to have a mini niagra falls inside... also.... still cant get the steering wheel off. This week I will yry to make a 6mm plate to sit over the Centre and bolt to the 3 holes where the horn bolts on.

28. gmpenn

gmpenn

Spence check the links I posted. Post ,99

29. v8spence

v8spence

A bit more paint stripping today....

I am also very tempted not to put the lady back on. It makes him look wider and lower in my opinion.

1394229945641.jpg 1394229965620.jpg

30. Sweeeeeeet