Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Wardog

Wardog

2. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

G'day Boys, got back yesterday afternoon. Just having lunch and opened the grasp pages, boy I was rapped to see more entries. Jeff that shot brings back lots of memories and all the work we use to do in those early days, we had fun working on each others cars. Geoff those shots of our house in the early days would be early 1990 as confirmed by Rita. And Grant, we had to sell the tudor as we were needing funds to complete the B.B. which Rita runs today , when I finished the tudor I gave it Rita she loved it as it was our family rod and we had to make a decision to sell .Then it went to Mackay in Queensland and I have never seen it again. Dave thanks for putting up more shots of my hot rod days, and I go with Geoff as to which 34 looks the best as I always say create new ideas that will make every rod look different to each other.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I was looking through old photos for a picture, I didnt find it, yet. But did come across a lot of interesting ones. I guess the one below could be considered interesting.
    My coupe has been very well travelled over the years. I think some would say, more like used and abused.
    I love that old 5W that is sitting about 10 foot away from me here in the garage. Although I must admit, that it is a lot cleaner than it is in the image below.
    Maybe I need to show some more images from the salt?

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

4. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

More Salt racing images?? Yes Please ....Jeff

5. JAWS

JAWS

Is that from snowy roads?

Nice

6. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Went looking for a photo I had of this tudor last evening. Just now I am in my photobucket files came across the shot I was after.
    This was taken at Ballarat swap meet one year. Possibly Peter Green had it there for sale.
    Tony owned it after doing a deal for it from Stroked.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  7. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Brant;
    No that's not snow. It is a combination of salt, and damp outback dirt roads.
    You have been to Bonneville, where you drive right off the blacktop at Land's End and onto the salt.
    Well one must endure a couple of hours of serious ouback dirt road driving to get to our slice of salty paradise.
    I have attached the image of when our coupes met up at Bonneville via the internet.
    Here also is a pretty neat shot of our race car, out on the great white dyno one year.
    Jeff I guess I need to start posting some of the hundreds of shots I took at the salt during the times I travelled there.
    You know this opens up a whole new can of worms, don't you.
    Actually now that I think about it, snow is the one thing the coupe has never been driven through. It ain't going to happen though. I feel cold just thinking about it. Been to the snow twice in my life and both times I didn't find it enjoyable.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  8. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

A couple of pages back reference was made of a Vintage Speedway meeting at the Bendigo show grounds many years ago.
    I actually attended two of these events on consecutive years.
    They were amazing events. But the highlight for me was to see two amazing race cars and to later meet and get to know their amazing owner/builder, Alan Murchison.
    I will just leave it at that and let the images do the talking!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  9. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

Opening a can of worms???? Salt pics ??.......Cant wait, and Im sure the worms that get out will be great....Jeff

10. :D:D:D Sorry, that's funny..

Really inspiring thread fellers, I like the way it meanders thru history, build, and Whodaky's gone striping. Enjoyable stuff. The chopped aussies 34's look best- every angle is good. I love the C- pillar on the aussies, but they're good looking all over. All you blokes have amazing skills, dealing with these wooden things.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll have a cool shed & a Ford, not a driveway & a FJ.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.;):cool:

11. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Welcome Spoggie. Some people don't even have a driveway and an FJ. I am sure you are doing cool things with that FJ in your driveway.
    But one thing is for sure Spoggie, I can't draw/paint like you mate.
    Whodaky's gone striping! I like that. Although Whodaky's gone nuts, may be more appropriate.
    So I guess this is the perfect opportunity to present some art ( ? ).

Geoff aka whodaky
    PS Spoggie I just went into your profile and checked out your albums. You do neat stuff. I love your differing styles. Very impressive

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  12. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Amongst the photos that Garry gave me to scan was an almost identical one of Alan Murchison's ( gotta love them Y-Blocks )
    [​IMG]

13. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Yup, that's it Jeff a can of salty worms.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

14. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Yblock. I knew Gary loved those cars.
    Home built, old school basic hot rod race cars. Built by another one of nature's gentlemen.

Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  15. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Yes well said , I had cause to ring Allan many years ago and although we have never meet he has most helpful and great to talk to.

16. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hello.
    It's been pretty quiet in here today. I guess all this stuff we have been talking about and showing is becoming a bit boring.
    We are trying!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry Tom. Ethan has been shown in the thread. So I think it is only right that he gets to see you in here. When you were a bit younger. Actually you don't look that much different now.

Geoff aka wohdaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  17. Hey Geoff certainly not boring just getting better and better with different people posting different photo's. Keep it going everyone...

Tom, Geoff is correct you have aged gracefully.

Garyd

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393317103.248880.jpg

Seen this roadster at Ballarat on the weekend not sure who owned it but it looked great.

Garyd

19. Seen this coupe at the Berwick swap, really cool looking car as well, once again no idea who owned it?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393317393.887680.jpg

Garyd

20. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Wow!! That was special Geoff thank you.. My heart still breaks thinking of the day that roadster body left my Grasp...

I will get it back one day.

Gary and Geoff thanks for pepping my hopes of a burgeoning modelling career I'm working hard at realising !!

21. Almost got the James Dean stare spot on;)

[​IMG]

Geoff I found most of those magazines we were talking about the other day, Photobucket's not playing nice at the moment so I'll try and upload the pics of 'em tomorrow.

22. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Hi Tony and Geoff, here is a few pictures to inspire the two of you into the next major phase of the Grasp build, tackling the chassis set up

Attached Files:

23. That's a fresh one just finished off by Dale French. He owns the "Ruby54" Chev too.

24. here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the rest of the mags I got on the weekend

[​IMG]

sorry I know some of these have been posted previously.

25. I wanna see more of this one Tommy-nice

26. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Hi Grant,
    more pictures as requested. Check out the Rolling Bones Hot Rod shop in NY - very, very cool hot rods built there mate

Attached Files:

27. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

more inspiring chassis photo idea's for you Geoff and Tony......getting the hint!!!!

Attached Files:

28. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

more again....

Attached Files:

29. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

and the best inspiration of them all -

Attached Files:

30. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia