Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods School me on what a 1950 built roadster would have.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fatcaddi, Feb 23, 2014.

1. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

So I'm trying to be as correct as possible and was wondering what an a roadster built in the late 40s-55 would have looked like. Like what steering column and box. Would a louvered deck lid have been used. Tire sizes? I plan on running a wide five setup cause I love the look. Upholstery material and design? Tail lights? Headlights? Any clues and help and especially pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Sounds like you should just build one similar to LoudPedal's Roadster

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Dont put anything on it that was made after 1955 and you will have it made. My pops is building an Av8 on 32 rails. He wanted to have a 1948 cutoff on parts but he put a 50 f1 steering box in it. I think if you are with in a few years of the era that you are trying to build in you should be fine. If your trying to stay late forties early fiftys theirs alot of opitions.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Search for the "50's Period Correct..." thread. Study that and you'll be well on your way.

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

My 1917 Tub was built in 1953.

53 322 Buick nailhead, Dynaflow transmission, closed driveline, 32 front (heavy) and rear axles, twin-tube Indy-type frame with stock Ford stub section in rear, Houdaille front shocks, 50 Ford dash (sectioned to fit) and wiring harness, stock windshield and radiator, juice brakes. Not sure what the steering box is from. Cowl lights and one tail light is stock Model T. The engine fan is mounted off the crank nose. The gas tank is a custom vertical style mounted in the space between the rear seat back and the back of the tub.

It had a 70s interior and wheels and tires when I got it. Chrome reverse.

The only change I've made is to Ford wire wheels and period big and littles. Everything else I maintain as it was built.

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Get some hot rod mags from the year you picked as your car's build year. It shows EXACTLY what people were building.

People like to pretend that simply because something existed it was "traditional" or "historical" and just barf a bunch of random old crap onto a car.

7. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

And that's what I'm trying not to do.

8. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Don't use any 1-800 parts or any reproduction parts , if you do this, you will soon find how difficult it will become to make everything period correct.
    good luck

9. A Boner

A Boner

If you want to get real anal, you should probably use an arc welder when building your chassis.

10. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

No thanks. Just want the parts to look right.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

12. Watch the movie "Hot Rod". Not the recent one, but the one made in 1950. There are several late 40's 32's to examine in that movie.

13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

don't know if this approach would still work, but a buddy of mine built a '55 pontiac safari wagon back in the '80s and he found a lot of parts at small-town pontiac dealers. they had brand new, in-the-box parts and sold them to him for 1955 prices!

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don Montgomerys books for traditional look.