Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects new member,converting 80s merc custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gspd18, Feb 9, 2014.

1. I like your plan. If I did it all over again I would get it running 100% before I stripped it down to bare metal.

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Welcome. That's a good start! Looks like the build was a hurried one so you'll probably find lots of surprises when you take it down to bare metal. Looks like the rear window wasn't fully welded in before the bondo got swiped on.
    Sell the fiberglass clip and get that front sheetmetal on and it'll look a whole lot better.
    Needs tailights, rear pan and bumper. The quarter windows really took a hit with the heavy chop. Are you going to open them up a bit?

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

I'll second Pro Stock John's suggestion above: get it running, driving and dependable and then start on the bodywork - other than repairing the obvious damage/leaks/weak spots, that is. It's going to be a long project and a "living" car will hold your enthusiasm much longer than a dead one. Just ask me how I know...

4. gspd18

gspd18
    from texas

I usually sell my personal cars right after they are finished,which is why I'm getting it driving first so I don't get bored with it. Fiberglass front will look a lot better once I get to spend some time on it,and I cover the front with a bumper.car will get brought down to metal and re-chopped,atleast in the rear once I have the rest of the car steel. Have a freind close by that's been chopping these and others since before I was born to help sort that out.should be a driver within a week or so,then ill start cleaning up the body and put some paint on it for now. I'm thinking suede and white scallops. Not sure what main color,blue interior will be in it for a while. After steel and perfect body car will be some kind of dark blue.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. missysdad1

missysdad1

I have a couple '52-'53 Ford bezels that might work on your headlights. They're good enough to try for fit anyway. These are the rings traditionally used to "french" headlights on early customs are look like what was used on your front clip.

Here's another suggestion: HAMB has a number of really talented photoshop artists who'd just love to give your car a new life - digitally. What they ask for is a large full side view and some idea of what you'd like the car to look like when you're done.

HAMBer James D did a great photoshop on my '52 Ford project and he's always looking for new photoshop projects. Why not ask him before you get ahead of yourself making changes you might not want later on?

6. gspd18

gspd18
    from texas

Thanks Eric. I will pm you next weekend to try those out. My 3gun match took 10 hours yesterday so I'm beat. Can't start the car today due to my valve covers not coming in.will try to get some little things done and fire it up this week. Photoshop idea might be a good idea to see what the 51 caddie bumper I have will look like. Can't find pics of anyone else using one.

7. '51 caddy rear bumper?

8. desotot

desotot

Looks like a great car, many have started with much less, as I looked at this picture it seemed the car is crying to go cruising.

[​IMG]

9. gspd18

gspd18
    from texas

Front bumper with big chrome bullets in center

10. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Now thats why you join the HAMB. Good people here. Looking forward to seeing the updates....and thanks for saving a Merc from 80's hell :)

11. gspd18

gspd18
    from texas

been a while since i have posted pics. motor is in,need to finish wiring,find a fuel tank,and drive around neighborhood this weekend.Getting closer to new house and new bigger shop so everything will go a lot smoother.

Attached Files:

• m19.jpg
      m19.jpg
      File size:
      128 KB
      Views:
    • m20.jpg
      m20.jpg
      File size:
      98.6 KB
      Views:
    • m21.jpg
      m21.jpg
      File size:
      159.3 KB
      Views:
    • m18.jpg
      m18.jpg
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
  12. gspd18

gspd18
    from texas

current shop is a little cramped,it will be nice to have room for everyone as well as space to work and a lift. pics of shop, merc with my wifes 55 1st and 46 ford project i picked up with merc on its way thru shop.

Attached Files:

• m5.jpg
      m5.jpg
      File size:
      65.8 KB
      Views:
    • m22.jpg
      m22.jpg
      File size:
      162 KB
      Views:
    • m23.jpg
      m23.jpg
      File size:
      176.7 KB
      Views:
    • m15.jpg
      m15.jpg
      File size:
      134.1 KB
      Views:
  13. gspd18

gspd18
    from texas

this is the bumper im thinking about using for now till i get front sheetmetal and stock bumpers. type of scallops im considering in white on top of suede black or blue for now

Attached Files:

14. You might try the gas tank for a 65 mustang. They fit great in Mercs, are really inexpensive new and hold about the same as the original. I have helped put them in 2 different mercs and a 40 ford coupe.
    Matt

15. gspd18

gspd18
    from texas

Fired it up today. Just the headers is pretty loud,need to build rest of exhaust. Ordering fuel tank and sending unit Monday,then some tuning and will make some laps around the neighborhood next weekend.

16. desotot

desotot

1956 cad bumper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Looks like a pretty sharp car. The rust is a bummer, tho. I'd pick up that 49 4dr for sure since it will have lots of the stuff you will need to fix it. Among the things you listed you'd keep from it, I'd add the rear window since you may need that sheet metal to save your top. No telling the rust you may have under that bondo....especially since the bondo was cracked and may have sat out in the weather. Trapped water loves to eat sheet metal. ;) Looking forward to seeing how it all comes out.

ps: love the steering wheel.....mine came with a flamed billet one. I had no trouble selling it at the swap meet to help fund the 49-51 accessory wheel that's in it now. ;)

18. gspd18

gspd18
    from texas

I've seen the 56 cad bumper,they look cool.on the 51 the bullets are closer together,bumper was free so trying it out wont hurt.there's actually nothing but light surface rust under the Bondo cracks.floors and trunk pans will need work.going with realtor to look at some houses tomorrow,all have acreage and large shops. Pretty happy with what the wife has found so far.

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Lotsa work ahead.Looks good so far.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo