Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 drag truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mat Thrasher, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I've busting ass on the truck trying to get it ready for the Cleveland Autorama. So here's a little update.

I decided to try out my long forgotten paint and body skills on my dash. I priced out all the materials for HOK red candy flake. I knew it was going to be pricy but I had a hard time swallowing almost $400 just to paint my dash.

Well I started to do a little research and I found a thread on here about Kylon Glitter Blast. I sprayed the dash with a silver base then 4 coats of the Glitter blast. It leaves a very rough finish before the clear. It took about 12-15 coats of clear to get it smooth. The finish product actually looks really good and the total cost was under $100.

The drawbacks are the uncatalized clear is soft and it seems to keep shrinking. I wet sanded the dash to help smooth it out and then dumped another 3 heavy coats. I wet sanded it again and hand buffed it out. It was perfectly smooth then after a week it started to look orange peeled again. So I let it sit for over month and sanded it and dumped more clear on it. Then I let it sit for another week before sanding and buffing, so we see how it holds up. If I did it again I'd spring for real clear. But it was an interesting experiment.

I also changed out the mufflers from the ones I built last year. The ones I built kept cracking the welds, breaking and rattling. So, I cut out a crossmember and switched over to 3-1/2" glass-packs. It's a much cleaner setup and hopefully no more rattling. Why didn't i think of this last year!! It would of saved me a ton of work.

Attached Files:

2. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Now back to the blower. The first order of business after figuring out the linkage was the fuel lines. Nothing too crazy here, I just made up a bracket for the regulator and bent up some 3/8" stainless hard line.

Next was the front cover. The blower is a BDS 8-71 that I bought used about 6 years ago. The modern looking front cover was killing it for me so I swapped it out for a GMC one. Which of course was still Detroit Diesel green when I got. So I polished it and made the little triangle cover. Plus the supercharger was on a boat so it was all water spotted and just didn't shine at all. So it got sanded down and repolished. Now it's much better.

Now on to the drive. The first set of pulleys and the idler I got put the idler pulley way off to the side and it looked terrible. So I sent it back and like I normally do I built my own.

Attached Files:

3. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

So the Auorama is only 3 weeks away so I was getting nervous on getting this thing finished up. I kept telling myself that the truck didn't have to run but how lame would that be?!

I decided this was going to be the weekend to make some noise. I called my Brother-in-law Mark to see if he could give me a hand. So a big thanks to him. We all know it's not easy getting out of the house for 2 days on the weekend with a wife and 3 kids.

Mark showed up on Friday and we got started right away. The truck had no dash or gauges, the motor was half torn down because I had sent my lifters out to have them gone through. Plus a ton of little things to hammer out.

We put in a 4 hours on friday and another 12 on Saturday and we had ignition!

The thing fired right off, so quick Mark was running the timing light and almost fell over. The only thing I've done to the carbs is richen up the idle screws. I know I'll have to screw around with but it seems fairly close. And it sounds crazy!! I was hoping the mufflers would quiet it down but I think that might be a feudal effort. IT'S LOUD!!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. Cshabang

Cshabang

Did your wife give you my message from FB? Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Of course but she didn't have to tell me. I was doing my normal stalking of her page. :)

6. Mat,
    Sounds sweet! Not bad for a weekend of work.
    Tom

7. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Looks and sounds awesome, Mat!!!

We need a new video of it out on the street!! :D

8. Cshabang

Cshabang

Hahaha atta boy. Just make one would ya

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. loudbang

loudbang

Dog thinks it loud too. But really that revs just like a blown engine should sounds perfect.

10. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

matt
    your an animal. your going to the cleveland piston power show? and i thought your truck was insane last year, i cant wait to hear it laying some marks on the pavement.
    for anyone who hasnt seen this truck in person.. the damn thing would work as a pacemaker!

BLOWN is the only way to go!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  11. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Wow! That truck is crazy! Get it out side and run some more video. Very nice job on the build. BTW I think the 6 2G's are perfect on it!

12. Very cool, looks sinister !

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looks and sounds Heavenly Mat.

14. you are living my dream! words can't describe how awesome this truck is!!!

15. Outstanding.
    Just when I thought this truck couldn't get any more badass!

16. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

No doubt, and what a great time, hanging out and working on a hotrod.

No problem will do as soon as the weather breaks. I can't wait to see what this thing feels like with a couple hundred more HP!

Yeah she's not a fan of loud noises. She has bite the headers a few times. :eek: This is my first experience with a blown motor. I've drove a couple of my buddy's cars but I was pretty easy on them. I was amazed how fast it reved. I was just touching the throttle.

Yes I'm going to be there. I'm one of the dirty dozen cars. Next time we run into each other you can hear it from the passenger seat. It's much more intense from that point-of-view!

Thanks, hopefully I can get them to work as good as they did N/A.

Sounds "heavenly" I love it!

Livin the dream that's funny.

Brain, I'm just trying to give you some motivation!

17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

18. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Shit one of my floats was sticking and the damn thing almost stalled. Lol

Ben I wanted to stop by and say hi. But I don't think I saw you around your coupe this weekend. I sure well bump into each other soon.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

It was a long weekend of driving back and forth from here to Cleveland! Damn that turnpike. !
    I spent a lot of time wondering around. I was anxiously waiting for you to start That thing! It sounded sick.. There was a lot of folks taking about that bare metal truck. My little flatty needs a cam or something . It's like a Honda compared to that 582!
    It was a good show. Your truck looked good man

20. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I figured I post a little update since I've been able to drive the truck a little bit.

When the truck was in the Cleveland Autorama the goal was just to get it running to drive it in. Well it ran but not well, there was fuel leaks, it was flooding itself out and it wouldn't idle below 1700 RPM.

The first thing I did was fix the leaks. I never liked the fuel inlet fitting I had on the carbs. They were just plugs that I drilled and tapped for 1/4" NPT. But they barely had any threads on them and they were super thin. I think that the really short lines were pulling on the fittings and making them leak.

What I did is take the 3/8" inverted flare fitting and drill and tap them to 3/8" NPT. These fittings have a nice long thread that I'm not afraid to crank down. Plus the pipe thread is a lot deeper too, no more leaks.

Next was the idle issue. My thought was the added pull of the blower through the carbs was pulling too much air through the closed butterflies. All my carbs are primary carbs with idle circuits and the standard thin butterflies.

The fix was to pull all 6 and work the butterflies tighter. I used a punch to set them tighter in the bore. Then I took valve lapping compound and worked each carb base for about an hour each! But it worked. It will idle down to about a 1000-1200 now.

I'm not sure why the floats were sticking because they're working fine now. Maybe just from sitting?

I had to finish up a couple things before I could take it for a drive. I hooked up the boost retard, went to a colder set of plugs and tighten up the plug gap.

Now for the fun part. The first time I took it out was just to put fresh gas in it. I was an easy drive just to see how it would run. I think it actually cruises better then it did N/A. I didn't have the boost retard hooked up so I didn't get on it but I rolled in to a little in high gear and you could instantly tell the difference!

This weekend I finally got the boost retard hooked so I decided to do a couple of roll ons. The first time I had my 7 year old daughter with me. I eased into the throttle in 1st and it instantly broke the tires loose through first and second. I was giggling like my little girl! :). I only went about 1/2-3/4 throttle and to 6000 rpm and I was all ready impressed. I tried to look at the boost gauge and I think it was around 5 LBS.

The second time I had a buddy of mine with me and I rolled into it again around 15-20 MPH but harder. Even at 1/2 throttle roll on its blowing the tires off. I pulled 2nd and went about 3/4 throttle still spinning. I pull high gear and floor it for a split second and I can still fell the back dancing around! I run 3:50 gears and I don't shift into 3rd until 80-90 MPH! When I lifted my buddy says to me "this thing is f'ing STUPID!!" And I've never felt anything pull like that. :eek: I think it pulls harder now from 60-100 then it did before from 0-60. It's a completely different car then it was last year.

I do have a little bit of messing with the carbs but it's pretty close. The other thing I was worried about fuel slosh with the sideways mounted carbs and how it would effect the floats. So far so good. I haven't noticed issues yet. We'll see when I can stay into it for more the 2 seconds.:)

That's all I got for now. Hopefully I'll get some video soon. And I don't know why I didn't build a blower motor sooner. WOW

PS I don't think the Radirs are going to be up to snuff anymore! I'll be swapping on my ET Streets soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    swade41 likes this.
  21. willymakeit

willymakeit

22. Insane! Can't wait for the video!

23. This truck was NASTY NA, I can only imagine now with the blower on top... as others have said, can't wait for the video

24. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I finally got some decent tires on the truck and got it out to the track. I was very happy for the first time out. I ran a best of 10.30 @ 134.

The truck had an awful hesitation. Which was worse the harder I tried to launch it. In fact the 10.30 pass I just rolled into .

It's crazy how different the track is compared to the street. I don't have any issues on the street.

All in all I'm very happy, low 10's and nothing broke. Now I just need to figure out this little issue and Ill hopefully see single digits with a pump gas car I drive to the track.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406507813.093071.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406507825.345250.jpg

Attached Files:

D-man313 and kiwijeff like this.
  25. pila38

pila38

Congrats on the 10's. Your truck is just amazing in every way, good luck on getting to the 9's.

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I've been following this thread for awhile and its good to see you're finally able to hammer it at the track. Like any other project, the fine tuning is what takes you to the next level. I look forward to the next installments.

27. willymakeit

willymakeit

I luv this build. Its one I keep coming back to.

28. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Matt, your truck looks and sounds great! nothing better then a blower with multi carbs.

29. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

That's awesome, Matt...you should be happy!
    Respectible time and speed, and it's only going to get better.
    Good luck...and have fun!!

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member