Register now to get rid of these ads!

First West Coast Trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HelmuthBrothers, Feb 21, 2014.

1. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

Hey guys so I'm going to be making my first trip out to the west coast from April 11-18. Ill be flying into San Fran and staying there a few days, renting a car and driving down the pacific coast line to LA / Long Beach for the remainder of the trip.

I wanted to see if anyone could recommend some local cruises / shops to visit while I'm out there that are close to where I'm staying. No sure if San Fran has any cruises or shops? When I get down to LA I'll be staying in West Hollywood for 3 days, not sure if Hollywood Hot Rods is open to the public? Then 3 more days in Long Beach. Any tips would be awesome! Thanks!

-John

2. toml24

toml24

Very cool museum is the:<O:p</O:p
    Automobile Driving Museum<O:p</O:p
    610 Lairport Street<O:p</O:p
    El Segundo, CA. 90245<O:p</O:p
    (310) 909-0950<O:p</O:p
    Tuesday-Sunday 10:00am-4:00pm<O:p</O:p
    This is a non-profit facility, about 1 mile south of the Los Angeles International Airport. Admission is by the generosity of your donation at the door. This is an excellent museum!<O:p</O:p
    Also,<O:p</O:p
    Donut Derelicts<O:p</O:p
    A FREE car show in Huntington Beach, CA, every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Located at Adams and Magnolia. Best FREE car show on the West coast. 250 cars and trucks.

Attached Files:

3. Stop by Brizio's, they are tourist friendly and located on the other side of US 101 across from the airport. http://www.roybriziostreetrods.com/home.htm

And of course, take the Pacific Coast Highway (CA Hwy 1) south to LA.

4. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

Hollywood hot rods is certainly friendly with visitors. Best to call ahead and arrange your visit with Jim. They are not open on Monday.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. von zipper

von zipper

Petersen Museum!!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Pacific Coast Highway is a great drive, drove it both north and south, I think the run south is best. Stop to see the Hearst Castle. We take old car parts and build cars, he took parts of different castles and built his own, a must see in my opinion. Bob http://hearstcastle.org/

7. This might be a little soon in your trip. Paso Robles is inland from CA Highway 1 and San Simeon (Hearst Castle), about an hour away.

APRIL 12
    Paso Robles CRUZ NIGHT – Kings Oil Tools – 2235 Spring Street – 5:00-7:00 p.m. –
    Open to all pre-’79 Classics - For info: Tony (805) 712-0551 :D

8. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Get a map of the California missions. They are all beautiful and worth seeing. Stop in Santa Barbara at Andersen's bakery and buy a Kringle. You'll never want to leave.

9. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Nethercutt collectiin in pacoima

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Ditto on Paso. There's interesting sites in the Paso/San Luis Obispo area and is about a half hour drive from PCH 1. There's Wineries, there's Firestone Brewery, Morro Bay, Avila Beach and Avila Valley Barn, which is a Farmer's Market. There's San Miguel Mission and San Luis Obispo Mission and there's a lot of places to eat in Downtown SLO. My favorite is the Firestone Grill.

11. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Another vote for the Peterson Automotive Museum . And if you like Aviation close up, grab a Burger at the In-n-Out on Sepulveda Blvd next to LAX. Bob's Big Boy in Burbank on Friday night. Forget about finding a place to park, but its worth it.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

After you tour the Petersen Collection go to the La Brea Tar Pits just down the road. Bob http://www.tarpits.org/

13. 4oldcars

4oldcars

The Antique Automobile Club of America is having a swap meet on April 10-12 at the Bakersfield Fair grounds. 1142 South P street. Friday the 11 is the best day to go. Always unusual cars and parts. The Pomona swap met is April 13 at the L.A. County Fairgrounds. No trip to L.A. would be complete with out stopping at the Early Ford Store, 108 W. Bonita, San Dimas. The store is a few miles from the Pomona swap meet. They are not open on Sunday.

14. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

X3 about Hearst Castle!!

Also when leaving SanFran , take highway 1 south to Half moon bay then take 92 to 35 and take that south to La Honda road (84) and then take that to the coast. That way you can drive through the Redwoods. OR if your feeling ballsy take Tunitas creek road from 35 back to the coast! (its more like a paved path through the forest than a real road)

While in SF, I know your going to use the "hop on/off" bus, ...... right? You will see way more that way!

** Heres a great road in Marin that goes to the coast that most locals don't even know about, it crosses a dam and though some dense redwood forests (really windy road!) ....... go to http://www.meadowclub.com/Directions-4.html and stay on Bolinas rd right past the golf corse

Hope you enjoy! c

15. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Missed the part about you being in Frisco, while there, a visit to Gotelli Speed Shop would be a must. If they are having a car show that day, even better.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Kyron, Thanks for the Red Wood tip I thought they were all way north of San Francisco. Bob

17. elgringo71

elgringo71

I agree that the Hurst Castle is a must see and the Madonna Inn is nearby you should get something to eat there and have a look around.

18. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Wow thanks a lot for the tips everyone! I have a lot to look in to now!

19. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

20. roughneck424

roughneck424

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

22. Special Ed

Special Ed