Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need advice on brake/clutch pedal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Feb 22, 2014.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Need advice on brake/clutch pedal? I want to put them on the frame, but I don't know what I don't know. I boxed my frame on my 37 Dodge truck, and I am going to start to build the X member. I want the parts on hand, so I don't have to do it twice. I have seen the price of a brake/clutch set up, and do you have to spend that much to get something to work? Lets here what you did.

2. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have been looking and reading, and still looking for ideas. Has anyone on here used anything besides what there car came with, I am ok with aftermarket parts.

3. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr

Back when you were allowed in the scrapyard we used to look for pedal assemblies in wrecked vehicles. The pedals for my fords are frame mounted, but that puts the master cylinder and (sometimes) clutch cylinder under the cab which can be inconvenient. Getting later model pedal assemblies gets the master and clutch cylinders onto the cab firewall which makes fluid level checks easier but then the brake booster is in the engine compartment which could be a problem.

4. George/Maine

George/Maine

You could go with hlylick slave cylinder for clutch, push or pull check Speedway.

5. mopar210

mopar210

I changed the rambler from auto to stick. Found a pedal assembly out of newer rambler- but I made everything else. Made the z bar and all linkage . One of the hardest things I've done to date ! I learned a whole lot about geometry during this 3 week project ! Examples - had everything assembled , but leverage was wrong. Remove trans again ! Cut and lengthen fork so as to make it 2:1 ball stud to adjuster - scratch build z bar for another 2:1 - linkage rod from pedal pivot through firewall it had to drop 4" at a 32 degree angle !!! All rods done with heim joints for additional adjustments ! In short - anything can be done , with a lot of sweat and perseverance . We just were sure we wanted old school linkage , not some hydroloc T.O.B. - would I do it again ? Yes ! It was a great learning experience and now the next one will be much easier

Attached Files:

6. George/Maine

George/Maine

For the record mopar was the first for hydraulic brakes,
    also 62 chevy pu had hydraulic clutch.
    Old school is no air bags,no electric ign.no electric fans.
    no s10 frames,mustang ii ifs.