Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A rare 1961 Chevrolet Apache C30 stepside longbed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 809Taino, Feb 22, 2014.

1. 809Taino

809Taino
    from Weston Fl.

Here we go!!!

This is my first project. A rare 1961 Chevrolet Apache C30 stepside longbed. Has original inline 6 with original transmission. Runs strong and mean. Already ordered windshield from rockauto and it's on it's way. Has very little rust issues but should be fun working on it. Curently has no working head or rear lights, none of the gauges work. I think im gonna have to rewire or change out some electrical components. Has sheet metal covering wood which will be coming out to redo bed wood. Can't find a bench seat but still looking. I'll be posting pics and videos here regularly to document progress and share it with you guys.. Enjoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Nice truck, looks like you have a good canvas to work on.

If the wiring on those is like the late 50s trucks it shouldn't take long, took me two days to re-wire mine.

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

What's the plan for it?

4. 809Taino

809Taino
    from Weston Fl.

Thanks, it looks fairly easy. Im gonna wait till i take care of the most important issues right now which is welding some of the rust.

Well I have 2 options on this one.

(A) Flip it as is for a quick profit or
    (B) Or keep it and restore it little by little.

Still undecided. Im leaning more into restore in it little by little since i have a thin budget. Wish i could lift cab and bed and resto from the ground up but lets see how it goes. For now im installing windshield, get to that rust and make sure it gets a good tuneup. If i sell my fully modded Honda Civic i'll have some play money.

5. If you haven't done so yet, join www.67-72chevytrucks.com. They cater to both Chevy and GMC trucks, and have separate forum sections for all of the different year trucks. The '60-'66 section is outstanding, and the guys are great.

Good start on the '61. Don't see many '60-'61 stepside longbeds, and I like the fact that you're considering restoring it. The longbed stepsides look better restored than hot-rodded.

6. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I would build it, I would think a stepside longbed would be a tough sell.

7. mechanic58

mechanic58

I bet your home owner's association loves you...lol

8. 809Taino

809Taino
    from Weston Fl.

Did some deep cleaning on the cab floor and undercarriage today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 809Taino

809Taino
    from Weston Fl.

Yea, it's one of my limitations right now. Thing don't fit in my garage.

10. castirondude

castirondude

This type of truck is a great candidate for a "drive it while you restore it", but yea your neighborhood is not. If you're going to restore it, you will need to have a place to work on it. With the HOA you can do an oil change and some small stuff but doing that body work and welding and all in your driveway will be a bit rich.

How close are you to being able to fit it in your garage? If it's just a few inches you can sometimes deflate the tires or drive it on a set of disposable rims. Of course that would interfere with it being a driver.

I love those "eyebrow trucks", I think only 60/61 have those cool turn signals. I was looking at doing a 2 ton truck in that style one time.. but too many projects.

11. 809Taino

809Taino
    from Weston Fl.

Drive while restore sounds good to me.. Got an appointment with the muffler shop soon as windshield get here. Then it's to the tire shop for something for those 12.5 deep rims. Hoping to find something like what it has now.

12. 809Taino

809Taino
    from Weston Fl.

I can't seem to find anybody with this truck. Or any info on this body style. I've searched everywhere, youtube google, forums. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

13. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

I like your truck, very cool that it's a long box. That truck has MAD MAX written all over it.

14. Did you check out www.67-72chevytrucks.com?

Here's a link to the '60-'66 section.
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6

As I mentioned earlier, you may not find a plethora of information on the '60-'61 trucks. They are not very common, and they are rare in their own right, especially your longbed stepper. I would suggest becoming a member of 67-72 and post up your project, as you have done here, and you'll be blown away at the results. Those guy eat, sleep, and breathe Chevy trucks and they'll help you immensely with parts and info.

Here's a recent thread on a '60 longbed stepper from a guy in Holland
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=614212

15. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

check out 67-72 chevy truck forum they have lots of info about all c10s theres A bunch of 60-66 sections also. keep posting here too tho. nice truck

16. 809Taino

809Taino
    from Weston Fl.

Been there and I became a member but I keep getting this mesg that says I have insufficient privileges. Tryed all last night. Any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  17. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

just gave one away to a scraper. Same exact truck. Tried selling it on Craigslist and not one call for $500. Guess out here in California not a desirable truck to invest in.

18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That looks like a 9' bed. I like old 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Good luck on it, I'll be watching.

19. 809Taino

809Taino
    from Weston Fl.

Wow, $500? I've already been offered $5000 here as is. You have pics of it? Im guessing here in florida we value classic trucks more. But Thanks for crushing yours I guess, now i might have the only one around. :D:cool:

20. 809Taino

809Taino
    from Weston Fl.

Thanks bud, I'll try and keep pics coming. :D

21. BISHOP

BISHOP

You need to take that $5000 right now.

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

What he said

23. A lot of people don't like this cab / windshield and front end but I do. With that said though - if it was mine it would have been gone...

24. Without question. With the $5000, you could buy a solid, running, driving truck that the Association wouldn't even bat an eye at.

Your '61 is going to be a project, without a doubt, and you're going to have issues with the Association when you tear it down and it's sitting in the driveway. You have to consider this before you start the tear-down. Those "neighborhood Nazis" will make your life miserable because they don't understand our hobby. They look at anything that's not perfect and pretty as an eyesore, and we all know that's untrue when it comes to our cars and trucks.

About your earlier question concerning the "insufficient privileges" on the '67-'72 site:
    I'm guessing that you were in the "For Sale" section and you tried to place a Wanted ad? You have to be a supporting member ($25 a year) to place an ad, but with just a regular membership (no money paid) you can post as much as you like in the Forum sections, just not in the For Sale section.

25. 809Taino

809Taino
    from Weston Fl.

Im not sure if to be discouraged or motivated. I personally like the truck.

26. finn

finn

I'm with you. Those long bed stepsides have a funky look that I've liked since my dad had access to a new C20 stepside 230/granny gear 4speed from his workplace back in 1963. I was looking for one wnen I ended up with my F100.

27. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

I'm not sure if he crushed it yet. Usually depends on what metal is paying. If you want to pass along that guys phone number I will go to the scrapers yard tomorrow and tell him if he wants to ship to Florida I can make sure he pays you a fee for finding him buyer.

28. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

man im thinking $500 for me and $500 for you. $1,500 to ship. The rest for the scraper for storing it for the last 3 weeks. let me know.

29. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

hey bro we can save it from getting crushed the scraper said hell yes for $5.000. Let me know. Lets save it bro and make a few dollars.

30. Dwight Goodie

Dwight Goodie

Have same truck in texas